NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2004 Acura TL (Page 5 of 7)

2004 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Acura TL:

2004 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Aug 242012

TL 6-cyl

My dashboard has a crack around the driver's side airbag. The car has never been hit or wrecked. This crack just appeared and the check airbag indicator is on. I've been reading on the internet that many many other owners of this car are having the same problem. I'm afraid the airbag will deploy without cause. Please check into this and let me know if there is a cause for a recall on this car. Thanks.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Aug 172012

TL

Small crack started at center of dashboard near the window. In 1 day it has wrapped almost completely around the drivers side of the dashboard and is nearly 2 feet long now. My 1989 Honda Accord had a better looking dash after 23 years. This is a major safety issue and needs fixed asap by Acura.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jun 042012

TL 6-cyl

The dashboard in my 2004 Acura TL is cracked on the passenger side along the airbag. Started out just a crack about 1/4" and two days later the crack is over 8 inches. Also the dashboard on the driver's side cracked first from just in front of the steering column all the way to the windshield and is now a complete square from steering column to windshield and back to steering column. If this isn't a safety issue, I don't know what is! we own two other Honda, 2001 and 2000 civics, and neither of those cars have cracks and are in better shape than the Acura TL.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 082012

TL 6-cyl

Wife made me aware that a crack appreared on the dash atter taking down the sun shade to come home after work. It was about a four inch crack on top of the left edge of where the air bag deploys. I was somewhat concerned because F the location. I rode on the car again this afternoon and not only has the original crack doubled in size there is another one on the opposite side of the air bag deployment. Both cracks are on the edge of the air bag "box" now I am very concerned and I get only line to see how to either repair or replace this dash. After searching I see that there are alot of complaints with this same issue. It seems Acura has a problem with the material used to cover the dash. They need to step up and replace these dash boards.

- Chouteau, OK, USA

Aug 012012

TL

While driving we heard a loud pop that sounded like a very large rock hit the windshield. While inspecting the windshield we noticed that the noise had come from the dashboard splitting. The area covering the passenger side airbag has split and the entire dash, withing just a few days, has split from the initial 4 inch split to about 8 inches. I am concerned that this could affect airbag deployment as the decreased resistance could mean the airbag deployment speed is greater. (worth noting: We purchased this car new and it has been garage kept its entire life. Also, when the car is in the sun I always use a sunshield.)

- Colfax, NC, USA

Jun 152012

TL

Cracking in the dashboard on top of the passenger side air bag. Also airbag maintenance light came on when the crack appeared. Afraid that it is causing a safety defect.

- Carl Junction, MO, USA

Aug 022010

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard has developed deep, long cracks in a square surrounding the passenger side air bag. Manufacturer should recall this extremely common safety problem immediately.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jul 062012

TL 6-cyl

One day I got in the car and noticed a crack on the dashboard along the passenger side airbag. Since then it is beginning to spread.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jul 152012

TL 6-cyl

The dash has developed a crack around the passenger side airbag. I am concerned that should an accident occur the airbag may not deploy correctly.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Nov 122011

TL

My 2004 Acura TL started to have minor cracks on the dashboard last November and then it slowly spread all over the dashboard. I now have multiple long cracks on my dashboard. I have done some research online and there are many Acura TL (2004 & 2005 model) owners who has encountered the same issue as well. I have other vehicles that are older than the Acura TL and those vehicles dashboards are completely fine. I believe it is a defect in the material and Acura should be responsible for replacing this part. I do not feel safe driving my care in this manner due to the fact that it might impact the air bags or may not deploy the air bags in case of emergency. So, please help all of us Acura TL owners with this issue. Thank you

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 062012

TL 6-cyl

I noticed a large crack on my dashboard in front of the passenger seat and it appears to outline the airbag. There are two small cracks on the dash as well. My concern is whether or not these cracks make the deployment of my airbags defective in the event of a collision.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Jun 292012

TL

First, I noticed the light indicating the front passenger airbag was off, even though my adult male friend was in the front passenger seat. Later that day, I noticed a crack, approximately 2 inches long. Two days later, the crack was approximately 6 inches long, and ran along the entire right edge of the passenger airbag compartment. Since the first time I noticed the airbag light, it has been inconsistently responding to the same adult male passenger by activating/deactivating the airbag.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 012008

TL 6-cyl

The dash started to crack around the passenger airbag and has continued to get worse over the years. The entire dash is cracked at this point. This is a know Acura issue that they refuse to address in mass but have assisted many owners in varying degrees.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Jun 302012

TL 6-cyl

Dash separating around passenger side airbag.

- Collierville, TN, USA

May 282012

• 1,368,010 miles
Dash/airbag issues. 2004 Acura TL 3.2 had a crack on the dashboard which the airbag is underneath, this is a safety concern if the airbags would be deployed correctly. More cracks appear several days later, the car is well pampered, but this is a defective material on Honda/Acura's part. Need to be recalled!

- Long Beach, CA, USA

May 022011

TL

My dashboard is cracked all over the place. Acura will not fix it.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Feb 032010

TL 6-cyl

My dashboard has multiple cracks resulting from no damage whatsoever. I have researched online and many other owners of Acura TL models are seeing the same issue. I am concerned this will affect the airbag deployment system.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Nov 152011

TL

The contact owns a 2004 Acura TL. The contact stated that the dashboard failed and split in half near the passenger side air bag housing. The dealer was contacted and advised the contact that the dashboard failure was caused by wear and tear and was not considered a safety defect. The vehicle was not repaired. This should raise the question of airbag integrity and function. Such a widespread problem should be considered a manufacturer's defect and therefore be recalled and repaired by Acura.

- Humble, TX, USA

Sep 012011

TL

My dashboard has a huge crack coming down on the passengerside airbag. I also have 2 new cracks on top of the speedometer running up towards the windshield. The cracks seem to be getting bigger as time passes by.

- Oxnard , CA, USA

May 062010

TL 6-cyl

The car has developed huge cracks around the passenger side airbag. I am concerned that the cracks might cause my passenger side airbag not to work properly. The driver's side leather seat also begin to come apart.

- Hoover, AL, USA