NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2006 Acura TL (Page 1 of 2) Seal Of

2006 Acura TL electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Acura TL:

2006 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 212016

I have been having a battery drain problem. I charge the battery and it drains overnight. Battery was check out to be ok. This is the second battery that I bought in two years. I also bought a portable starter so as not to be stranded. Finally the bluetooth fuse was removed and draining stopped for about six weeks. I am noticing that the car when started in the morning is beginning to sound like the problem may be occurring again. Now the second issue is that the passenger dashboard side is cracked. I feared that the airbag would eventually deploy therefore I took it to the dealer. They assured me that it was safe and wrote on the paperwork I received that it was safe. On hot days, the split on both sides of the airbag are much wider and I can now see the shape of the hinge or bolt that keeps it together. Driving with this situation is very unnerving. Acura needs to remedy this issue. Those that go into my car are appalled and would never purchase an Acura based on my vehicle.

- La Mirada, CA, USA

Feb 072015

Battery kept going dead and stranding me in multiple places. Had to purchase a portable car starter in order to keep restarting the car. Couldn't find any official reasons behind it from any Acura sources. After some internet searching I found out that the hfl bluetooth module was causing a battery drain for many other owners. Solution was to remove the module. After that the problem went away. Was stranded multiple times -- very unsafe!! also had to purchase car starter and new battery! Acura dealers refused to pay for the new hfl replacement. This is a safety issue that has affected many drivers. Could be very dangerous.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Nov 232015

I have been dealing with this serious electrical issue for nearly 4 years now. I have gone through 5-6 batteries and have been stranded numerous places as the car doesn't start after a period of time. This is no okay when you have children, it's a safety issue and Acura needs to fix it! with nearly 50,000 miles on my car, my whole navigation system failed. I opted not to have it fixed because they wanted to first try having me buy new cd's to update the system. In conjunction with that fail, the battery dies after a day of not being started...sometimes even over night. I have read that several cars have faulty hfl that heat up and cause this problem. The hfl was hot to touch when I went to disable it. I disconnected mine so that a fire would not start putting me and my family at risk. The electrical dash displays quit working when the navigation system failed making it impossible to see or change the clock and radio displays. Even with the hfl link disabled which is what the dealarships suggest for resolving the battery drain issues, the car still loses battery power. I am a concerned parent and feel that this should have been recalled a long time ago as there is plenty of evidence from many documenting this ongoing problem. It is not okay that the battery or electrical system may fail in the middle of driving and causing accidents or deaths. That coupled with freezing temperatures and I am driving two small children around in a car that has a great deal of safety concerns!

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jul 072010

The hands free link system that uses bluetooth to connect to your cellular phone is defective. It kills the car battery, always drawing current from the battery even when the car is parked and not running. Had battery replaced all ready. Manufacturer suggested repair is to disconnect the hands free link from the vehicle. I feel this is unsafe. I T would cause people to use there cell phones without the hands free feature while driving, which in turn could cause an accident. So this is a major safety issue and I feel Acura should resolve the problem. I have researched this issue and have found that this problem is widespread throughout at least two models of Acura (Acura MDX and Acura TL), and approximately years 2004 through 2008.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Aug 112010

Subject: 2006 Acura TL hello I'm writing this email to inform you of a safety issue with my Acura. The first issue is the dash has spider cracked completely all the way in front of the passenger seat and the airbags are not secure. The second is the blue tooth hands free on the steering wheel has killed 4 batteries and caused me to be stranded after not using car for two days. I had to search the internet to find out what was causing this issue and I found several people with the same year make & model with the same issues, even the dash! this car I bought brand new, more money than I ever should of spent on a vehicle and it is a disgrace! the poor quality of leather on the seats were apparent with in the first 6 months, yet the dealership did nothing! I feel a recall on the dash & blue tooth device is more than necessary! thank you for your time. Theresa brennan-brooks keep the faith...

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Nov 032014

The hands free link system in the 2004-2008 Acura TL is creating a drain on the battery resulting in complete electrical failure of the automobile. The incidence of failure is most common immediately after periods of at least 10 hours of non-use or shortly after starting. As a result from this issue I experience this electrical problem for the past year, from going threw multiple batteries and being in the unsafe situation of my Acura TL losing its power in a very busy intersection. This problem has been reported extensively on multiple Acura owner's websites/blogs and has been confirmed by the local dealership. Given the possibility for in-use electrical failure, a recall should be issued. Are we waiting for someone to be killed or seriously injured before a re-call is really issued?

- Syracuse , NY, USA

Dec 022013

Most of the lights on the inside of my car have stopped working. Including the dash where radio and air are controlled. My car will not start if I don't drive it about every 8 hours. Even when I am constantly driving it has a hard time starting. all of these people seem to be having the same problem. I am constantly stranded and have replaced my battery, starter and alternator trying to resolve this problem. There absolutely needs to be a recall on these cars. It is absolutely a safety hazard.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 182014

Automatic sensor ignition, headlights no light sensor automatically damaged.

- Reading, PA, USA

Feb 132015

TL 6-cyl

When I started the vehicle, it had a moaning sound. I continued driving and the battery light, airbag light, csv light, all came on just before the dash lights flickered on and off, then totally went out and the car engine shut off. When I tried to jumpstart the car, the car started after a few minutes but when the jumper cables were removed, the car instantly shut down. The car was in the middle of the road and had to be towed to my house. Three months ago, the car would not start. I got it jumpstarted and it ran perfectly until the above incident occurred. This is the third battery this car has had since 2009.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Feb 012007

The hands free link system in my 2006 Acura TL is creating a drain on the battery resulting in complete electrical failure of the automobile. The incidence of failure is most common immediately after periods of at least 10 hours of non-use or shortly after starting. If not for aaa, I would have been left stranded 300 miles away from my home.. I have replaced 2 batteries thinking that was the cause within the last 3 years. Something needs to be done! recall!!!

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Dec 022014

TL 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on a very busy street, driving about 55 miles an hour. It was dark and raining and my car completely shut down! no headlights, no dashboard lights and nothing was completely shut off no hazard lights either! luckily I was able to pull off to the side. I pulled my key out of the ignition, then put it back in and nothing happened. I repeated putting my key in the ignition and it started back up. I was able to drive the car home. I pulled it in the garage and shut the car off...pulled the key out and put it back in the ignition and it does not start at all. I know it's not the battery because it was just replaced a few months ago. When I tried it this morning, the dashboard and over head lights come on in the car. When I put my key in the ignition and turn it, everything turns off and the car does not start! help please!

- Highland, CA, USA

Aug 012013

1. hfl: Hand free link device not working 2. battery drain in a couple days if it is not driven. It was due to hfl rebooting itself or consume power when it is broken. Disconnect hfl, then battery drain issue resolved. 3. crack on dash board on passenger side 4. navigation system not working because it is based on dvd and dvd reading error. 5. clock cannot be adjusted because navigation system not working.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Mar 112013

My car battery kept dying every 3 months, I even got a new battery and my car was still dying. I was stranded at the bank in a parking lot, my driveway, and at work. After it died again and wouldn't start with a new battery I called the dealership. They stated it is my blue tooth, which hadn't been working, that is draining my battery and they have seen it in my model and year. I had to pay $100 to have it disconnected and they want to charge me $400 to have it replaced. I replaced it and now they wont reimburse me. This should be a recall and it is a safety issue being stranded with your car not starting. I have a baby that is not ok with me to wonder if my car will start. Please help Acura needs to be accountable for this faulty part and the safety of people driving their cars.

- Orange, CA, USA

Apr 042014

I've been having problems with my Acura TL (2006) starting. In January of this year, it was determined that I had a faulty battery and that was replaced under warranty. Last week, my car was getting very slow to start. I take it in to Acura and they tell me that the hands free link has a parasitic draw on the battery and told me it needed to be replaced. I have never, ever used this feature and was incensed that I had to pay $400 to replace it! today, a mere seven days later, my car would not start at all. I had it towed back to the Acura and they tell me its the starter...over $500 to fix!!! I've read on several forums that there have been issues with the hfl. Being stranded is a safety issue! Acura and the government needs to take this seriously. I am a single parent and this has placed a parasitic drain on my savings!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 012012

TL 6-cyl

The hands free link malfunctions and drains the battery. If the car sits for more than a day, the battery is dead and it will not start. This has left me stranded more than a dozen times. A search on the internet reveals that thousands of Acura Tls have had the same issue. The dead battery leaves people stranded and eventually leads to the destruction of the alternator. Acura knows this is an issue, but has not done anything.

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Dec 122012

TL 6-cyl

Our hands free link unit that pairs with your cell phone became defective over a year ago. It heats up at night all by itself and gets very hot making me leery about it causing a fire. My wife drives the car and being unable to use the hands free to speak on the phone is very dangerous. Additionally, it has ruined two batteries before we could identify what was happening. The dash board on the passenger side has badly cracked around the airbag. We are very afraid that this will adversely affect its deployment when needed or even an accidental deployment when not needed. Neither of these items should be happening on any car much less a semi-luxury car such as Acura.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 212013

TL 6-cyl

My 2006 Acura TL hands free link stopped working. I tried to reboot the system but the screen never changed from the "rebooting" message. A few days later the battery died. I had the battery replaced and had to enter new codes in the radio and navigation systems. Now the navigation and radio do not communicate so there is no voice for the navigation, the clock will not reset and the bluetooth still doesn't work. On top of that, my transmission blew and so did the power steering pump. While it was at the dealer, they tried to fix the issue but said the don't know what is wrong so just replace the whole unit. Which costs $500. I read other Acura owner have the same issue and I beg of Acura to recall the unit.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Jul 022012

TL 6-cyl

Since I bought my TL brand new if it sits 2 days or more the battery dies. Once the car is turned off you can hear clicking in the dash. I have purchased a new battery for this vehicle every year and a half. The bluetooth quit within 3 years. Then the dashboard started showing a rectangle image about 3 years in. My Acura is garage kept and well taken care of. Got in my car one morning and there is a crack on each side of the airbag going from windshield to passenger seat. This seems extremely dangerous. Not to mention very concerning. This is an expensive luxury car. This should not be happening.

- Lake City, FL, USA

May 112013

TL 6-cyl

The hands free link system in the 204-2008 Acura TL is creating a drain on the battery resulting in complete electrical failure of the automobile. The incidence of failure is most common immediately after periods of at least 10 hours of non-use or shortly after starting. This problem has been reported extensively on the Acura owner's websites and has been confirmed by the local dealership. Given the possibility for in-use electrical failure, a recall should be issued.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Feb 172013

TL 6-cyl

The bluetooth audio unit on my 2006 Acura TL has short circuited and is draining my battery causing the ignition system issues when starting the car in the morning. The short circuit had occurred due to the audio unit being placed above the rearview mirror console, this location is exposed to sunlight which in turn causes the components to heat up and damage the audio unit.

- Louisville, KY, USA