NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2006 Acura TL (Page 2 of 3) Seal Of

2006 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Acura TL:

2006 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 052014

2006 Acura TL? whyyyyy is my dashboard cracked everywhere. Is this even safe. Same as all dashboard crack at airbag. I will let spend my extra time letting everyone know not to buy from Honda/Acura they do not stand behind their product. There needs to be a recall on the dashboards.

- Crosby, TX, USA

Nov 282014

TL 6-cyl

My passenger side dashboard has a crack approximately 12-18 inches long that appears to outline the air bag door. I am concerned that this could reduce the resistance of the airbag when it deploys, therefore increasing the force with which it deploys into the passenger compartment.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Oct 242014

TL 6-cyl

Passenger side dash board has developed two 18" horizontal cracks which appear to outline the airbag area. I was surprised to see that my car is not on the recall list. I am terrified the airbag will deploy without cause and injure a passenger.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Nov 182014

Passenger side dash has multiple cracks around airbag.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Oct 102014

TL 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway when all of a sudden my drivers side curtain air bags and drivers side seat air bag deployed for no reason. I took it to the nearest Acura dealership the next day and every person there was shocked to see air bags deployed with no signs of impact. I opened a case with Acura corporate and they sent their own representative to investigate and concluded that rotor dust plate has a mark due to some type of impact. They then referred me to my insurance to file a claim. I filed a claim and my insurance sent 2 separate adjusters to inspect the car and could not find any substantial impact to cause the air bags to deploy. They denied my claim as mechanical failure. I've since tried to reach back out to Acura corporate but they informed me they have done their investigation and stand firm on their findings. I have re-iterated what my insurance has concluded but they have gone as far as to tell me a simple pot hole could have caused the airbags to deploy. I believe in some cases where a substantial impact could cause this, but this was not that case. I did not hear/feel any type of impact that day and all of the mechanics and service manager at the dealership are shocked that Acura has not stepped up to take responsibility for this defect. I did have have some abrasions on my chest from the seat belt locking up, but feel since no substantial injury occurred they are not taking this seriously.

- Garland, TX, USA

Aug 152014

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard crack at outlining of airbag. The crack is about 10-12inches long.

- Raleigh , NC, USA

Mar 032014

TL 6-cyl

My daughter was proceeding up ramp to merge onto interstate and she hit a pothole the tire deflated later down the road. Then after 30 minutes the airbag deployed in passenger seat and up right side passenger side curtain. I took it to Acura they said they could not find a reason for the airbags deployment. I found it interesting because a truck had backed over her the prior yr and did over $4000 dollars worth of damaged. When we got the car back the Acura body shop had charged us for a radiator replacement which they did not do, they had left the wiring to the bluetooth and other things unplugged. The ac wasn't working. I ended up taking it back 4 times. I guess my thing is I feel that either in light of the new accusations with the airbags, was the airbags faulty, or was this negligence on the auto body shop. I have purchased 3 Acura from this dealer and have had nothing but trouble in the last 3 yrs with them. I will no longer be going to them because now the same car where I took the very next day to fix where the airbags deployed gave me an estimate of almost $5000 to replace the airbag. I purchased 4 new michelins and had them rotate and balance and have had them do this 3 times since only to find out the whole time that my rim was cracked and this why air was leaking out of the tire which I questioned each time I went to get the oil changed and only when I insisted on them checking the rim over again in front of me, wow now there is a cracked rim and that has been the reason. I feel in my heart this is faulty equipment and they should be liable.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Aug 012014

TL 6-cyl

I was driving West on the turner turnpike in Oklahoma. Not a hot day nor cold. I heard a pop of sorts and wasn't sure just yet where it came from. But it sounded like it came from the dash. I eventually see a small crack around my front passenger airbag on the right side. Well in less than a month it was gone from front of the dash (near the windshield) to the back. Now the dash looks like 2 separate pieces. The concern is that this is a safety issue. If you pry up a little the dash where it is cracked you can see what appears to be the airbag. I fear this may cause a failed or improper deployment I the event if a accident. If you search online for 2006 Acura TL dashboard crack. You will come across hundreds of pictures and complaints where the crack has always formed around the passenger airbag. I feel this would cause that piece to fly at the passenger in the event of an airbag deployment. If you call Acura they deny an issue or defect and sometimes even say its weather related. Which can't be the case considering it's been happening I'm the exact same spot for everyone.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 202014

There are long cracks in my dashboard around the passenger air bag.

- Bellaire, TX, USA

Jun 062014

Cracked dashboard on both edges of the airbag.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Feb 012013

Problem started with a small crack on my dashboard by the passenger airbag(outline of the airbag started cracking). After about a week the crack grew all the way to the windshield and now I have 2 cracks about a foot long each perpendicular to each other. Also another crack closer to the middle of the dashboard appeared about a week ago. That crack is about half the size of the cracks by the passenger airbag.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 182012

Airbag on passenger side on Acura TL 2006 model I have a crack in the dash. I read several complaints about this. I am gonna have to hire a lawyer cause no one is paying attention to the people who paid thousands of dollars for the Acura's. the dealership said 2000. It wasn't even my fault. Now if someone dies in my car because of this, I am suing. I done twittered this problem and all they can say it is not covered. How can you have so many complaints and no one will do anything about it.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Dec 122012

TL 6-cyl

Our hands free link unit that pairs with your cell phone became defective over a year ago. It heats up at night all by itself and gets very hot making me leery about it causing a fire. My wife drives the car and being unable to use the hands free to speak on the phone is very dangerous. Additionally, it has ruined two batteries before we could identify what was happening. The dash board on the passenger side has badly cracked around the airbag. We are very afraid that this will adversely affect its deployment when needed or even an accidental deployment when not needed. Neither of these items should be happening on any car much less a semi-luxury car such as Acura.

- Naples, FL, USA

Nov 202013

TL 6-cyl

A large crack on the front dashboard above the airbag on passenger side.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 192013

TL 6-cyl

Crack appeared on passenger side dashboard outlining airbag. I consider this a safety hazard and defect with Acura TL.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Aug 242013

TL 6-cyl

One day I was driving in my 2006 TL with my son and he asked me about the crack in my dash on the passenger side airbag. I was blown away by his question. I did not expect this from Acura at all! I was completely surprised, I keep my windows covered with a sun guard. It starts at the windshield and follows the airbag directly. I feel this is unsafe since it is at the airbag. It does contract and expand as the weather.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Apr 012013

In April of 2013 I noticed a small crack above the steering column in the dashboard of my car, this crack slowly grew all the way to the windshield and has now spidered off towards the passenger side. Just this month (Sept 2013) I also noticed it starting to crack around the passenger side airbag. Not only is the crack very unattractive, but it also has me worried about the airbag and the safety of my passengers. After researching this issue, I found that the cracking dashboard is a common issue on the third generation Acura TL. In fact most third generation TL owners have had their dashboards crack, and when they contact Acura (dealerships, and Acura corporate) to try and get assistance, Acura acts as though they have never heard of the issue before. Some consumers are also getting an airbag warning light, and to remedy the warning light they have to drop $2,200 to have the whole dashboard replaced. I have also tried getting assistance from Acura (both jody wilkinson Acura salt lake city, and Acura client relations). After leaving my car with them for 4 days, they told me that there was nothing they could do for me. The reason they wont help me is because I haven't been getting my car serviced at their dealership. Since I know how to take care of my own car and perform my own oil changes, I will have to pay $2,200 to have the dashboard replaced. This was the excuse they used to deny me, there are many other excuses they have used on other consumers. Acura needs to stand behind their cars and fix this obvious product flaw. They shouldn't be treating their consumers like criminals for not getting their vehicle serviced at the dealership. This is a serious safety issue and people need to start reporting it to every venue they can.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jul 022012

TL 6-cyl

Since I bought my TL brand new if it sits 2 days or more the battery dies. Once the car is turned off you can hear clicking in the dash. I have purchased a new battery for this vehicle every year and a half. The bluetooth quit within 3 years. Then the dashboard started showing a rectangle image about 3 years in. My Acura is garage kept and well taken care of. Got in my car one morning and there is a crack on each side of the airbag going from windshield to passenger seat. This seems extremely dangerous. Not to mention very concerning. This is an expensive luxury car. This should not be happening.

- Lake City, FL, USA

Aug 012012

TL 6-cyl

Cracks have developed in the dashboard. Approximately 10 inches along one side of passenger side air bag. I am concerned this will affect the air bag. Also cracks on driver side dash.

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA

Jun 232013

TL 6-cyl

On June 23, 2013 I was sitting on the passenger side of my 2006 Acura TL and noticed that my dashboard has approximately an 8 inch crack in it. The crack is on a seam where the airbag should deploy if I were to get into a car accident. My car has never been in an accident and is a certified pre-owned Acura that I purchased at 30,000 miles. It formerly belonged to an fsu professor who has a long standing relationship with the dealership I purchased it from. The crack appeared overnight and is still a surprise to me. How does a $30,000 car get a crack in the dashboard especially where the airbag deploys? I no longer feel safe in this car. Apparently this issue is widespread in the 2004-2006 model year Acura TL's. one such forum acurazine has numerous owners with the exact issue. I also joined the facebook group Acura TL defective dash-consumer's rights. Both groups encouraged owners to make formal complaints to the NHTSA.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA