2005 Audi A4 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Audi A4:

2005 Audi A4 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jan 152012

A4 4-cyl

The right main headlight flickered multiple times while driving and then shut off. A message appeared "right dipped headlight". the headlights were turned off and on again and the problem persisted. The problem has continued to occur for the past year almost every time the headlights turn on.

- Barrington, NH, USA

Jan 012013

A4 6-cyl

Headlight turns off by itself. Warning message "dipped headlight" comes off on the dashboard. Turn the light switch off and on and headlight comes back on (normal). Car runs with no headlights in the dark on freeway at 65mph for about 2-3 seconds. This is a common (very known) problem with A4 models. Audi is refusing to acknowledge the design/part flaw thus not issuing a safety recall. See more details here:

- Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Dec 012010

A4 4-cyl

Left headlight (bi-xenon type) flickers then fails on our 2005 Audi A4 quattro. The only way to bring the light back on is to turn off the headlight switch and turn it back on again - at night, this means several seconds with no headlights on - which means that you must pull over to a safe place along the road (which sometimes is not possible) to cycle the switch. The light will often shut off shut off several times a minute requiring multiple resets of the system. There is tsb from Audi describing this problem, but no action has been taken to resolve the issue.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Oct 312012

A4 4-cyl

Problem: The left headlight flickers, I receive a warning message that "left headlight dipped, then the left headlight will go out. To "reset" this, I can turn my lights off, then turn them on again, but I can only do this when stopped, as it's unsafe to do this while driving at night. Once I turn them on again, they'll be ok again for a while, but the process will repeat itself again.

- Apex, NC, USA

Oct 222012

Problem of "dipped" headlight on my 2005.5 A4 B7. Purchased the car used in 2009 and have had this issue since purchase. Asked mechanics to investigate but had found nothing wrong. Usually it was just one side, either left or right (both have occurred multiple times). The other day was the third or fourth instance where both sides threw the "dipped" error, leaving me barreling down the highway at 75mph with no lights. While power cycling them usually brings them back, this is completely dangerous and unacceptable behavior for a vehicle that is allegedly working properly. It is clear to me, as an engineer myself, that this is a gross short-coming in design of the electrical system used to drive the lights. Either the wiring, or ballasts are malfunctioning. Audi has done nothing to ameliorate or warn me of this issue.

- Andover, MA, USA

Oct 012010

The contact owns a 2005 Audi A4. The contact stated that while driving at night the headlights would dim making it difficult to see the road at night. The contact looked at the lights and noticed that they were foggy. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they advised that he would have to replace the entire headlight assembly. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000. The current mileage was approximately 90,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lacrosse, WI, USA

Nov 302011

5 minutes after driving the vehicle to work as I do everyday, the error message on the dash read "left headlight dipped", losing one side of the lighting to the vehicle. It continued to do this each day afterward whenever driving in the early morning or evening when lights would be required. A few months after, the right side had dipped as well. I looked up some possible scenarios of what was causing this issue and found a few things but have not pinpointed the issue; will have to try the dealership soon. 1) change out the bulbs (bi-xenon) 2) change out the ballasts 3) some other issue this is a safety concern of mine and many others as one day both lights will go dark while driving at night and will surely induce some type of accident. I hope that the dot will strongly consider forcing Audi to resolve this issue as this is a preventable situation. Thank you,

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 112012

A4 6-cyl

Right headlight dipped warning. Right headlight will flicker and then shut off. I suspect a faulty igniter ballast. Many others have had the same issue with the 2005.5-2008 xenon headlights. Creates a dangerous situation.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Apr 032010

Headlight flickers and goes out "headlight dipped" warning.

- Ashland, VA, USA

Dec 012008

A4 6-cyl

Problem: Left front headlight flickers frequently, and often shuts off while vehicle is in motion. It has been evaluated by several Audi dealers, and at least 2 attempts to fix it have failed. The light bulb is not broken, since it turns back on after switching lights off. The problem is more frequent during cold weather. When it happens, a warning light comes on indicating a "dipped headlight."

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 252011

The right headlight goes out and flickers on my Audi A4 quattro T 2005 and it has happened daily and ive been reading about it in blogs and nothin.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 152011

A4 4-cyl

Wife was driving home from work at night, when error message "left dipped headlight" appeared, and she noticed left low beam headlight not working. Replaced with new bulb and still not working. A few months later, now both left and right headlights not working. This vehicle is no longer safe to drive at night.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Jan 012008

Front headlights flicker on either side and I get a headlight dipped error on my dash. As a result either right or left light goes out completely. Problem occurs daily and the only way of turning lights on back again is to complete turn lights of off then on again. A safety issues when driving at night and early morning.

- Gilroy , CA, USA

Feb 112012

A4 4-cyl

I purchased the vehicle on 02/11/2012 and that very evening when I had the opportunity to use the lights, my right light began to flicker and then failed completely. This really unnerved me as I was in an area with no street lights. And didn't really know what was happening. I instinctively turned the lights off and then on again, and this made them come back on. Unfortunately, this happened numerous times that night. I feel this is a blatant safety issue especially as I had family members in my car and their well being was compromised. I have researched this problem via the internet and it appears to be rampant on Audi's and the dealerships don't either know what to do or don't want to do it as for the expense of the parts.I spoke with no less than 8 Audi dealerships around the pa northeast and no one could positively say what would be the problem. I am having the bulb replaced at my cost because I bought the car used and have no warranty. Now I know why I was able to purchase it at a good cost. Last owner was probably crazy over this. By all accounts, even replacing the bulb might not work. There are no less than 4 tsb's out on this problem. Why Audi gets away with this is a travesty and this should be remedied as soon as possible before someone gets killed.

- Scranton, PA, USA

May 012010

A4 4-cyl

The headlights on my Audi A4 flicker and then I get an error message saying that the "headlight dipped" and then it turns off. I then have to turn off the headlights and turn them back on to get the light to return. I have tried replacing many components of the headlight system and nothing has remedied the issue. The dealer does not know how to fix the problem either.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jun 152011

A4 4-cyl

My Audi A4 currently has an issue with the headlights going out. When I turn it on, one of the headlights will start flickering and then dip, getting a warning light on the dash that specifies the headlight has dipped. This has happened on both the left and right headlight. The problem is intermittent and tends to happen early after driving, usually when roads are uneven or going over speed bumps. I have taken it to the dealer who said they could not replicate the problem and advised replacing the bulbs at the cost of over $700. They did not gaurantee it would fix the problem. I was able to replicate the problem as soon as I drove off the lot. Apparently other drivers have complained about this issue. This is an extreme safety and hazard issue as it occurs while I am driving. If you turn off the headlights and turn it back on, they will sometimes stay on but more often will flicker and then go off again. I believe this is a manufacturing issue vs. Wear and tear and would like Audi to permanently fix the issue at their expense.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Jan 042010

Randomly, and at all different speeds and road conditions, the left or right light will flicker and go out. The instrument panel will say "dipped light". the lights must be turned off then on to correct the problem. Very dangerous on dark curvy highways. So far both have not gone out together. Dealers have no idea how to fix it as there are no error codes or cannot reproduce the problem. Problem happens at least once a week, and sometimes several times in one evening.

- Mckinleyville, CA, USA

Sep 052011

A4 4-cyl

The left headlamp will flicker and then dip towards the ground while driving, a dashboard warning says "left headlamp dipped". the car has been to the Audi dealer several times and they are unable to replicate the issue, and tell me the fault does not generate a computer code for them to check. It has started happening on a more frequent basis, at different speeds and on different road conditions.

- Altadena, CA, USA

Nov 142011

A4 4-cyl

While driving either during the day or during the night either one of the lights will start flickering and then eventually go out completely. While driving home one the freeway one night the right side started to flicker and then went out completely...I turned the lights off and then turned them on and the light worked perfectly fine for 5 mins or so and then the same thing happened again! the next day as I was going to work early in the morning (while it was still a little dark) the same thing happened again...but this time with the left side. It started to flicker and then it went out completely. I turned the lights off and turned them back on and the light worked as if nothing happened. I called an Audi dealer and they said to bring the car in to get this issue fixed...they quoted me at $180 for the bulb and a grand total of $450 for the bulb plus installation. I just recently bought the car and ive been reading online about all the people that are having the same problem with their headlights.... I think its only fair to have a recall due to a poor design because I dont think its very safe for me or anyone to drive with one headlight and then having the chance of the other headlight going out at the same time!

- Concord, CA, USA

Sep 162011

Left or right headlights flicker and fail every time I use my headlights. No worse or better with bumpy roads. After a light goes out, turning the lights off and back on temporarily fixes the problem. But a few moments later the light flickers and fails. Most recent failure was when going around a corner at night. Oncoming traffic did not see me and nearly crashed head on. Newly purchased car and headlights failed first night. I have researched the problem online and read dozens of threads with seemingly hundreds of people with the same problem. Absolutely shocked Audi has not put out a recall. Serious safety issue with no current solution. The question is out of all the deadly accidents in Audi cars, how many had this issue as a factor. I don't envy the person quickly driving down a winding back road, when their headlights go out an instant before a quick turn they wont see and wrap their car around a tree.

- South Portland, ME, USA