2008 BMW 320 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 320:

2008 BMW 320 Owner Comments

Feb 012016

I experienced a break down when I was driving on a city street. My car was then towed to the local dealer and dealer discovered water pump was bad so it was then replaced under warranty. 3 years later my car broke down again and was towed to local dealer an again the water pump was determined bad and replaced. I contacted BMW North America to see if they would help considering the water pump has broken twice but no help from them.

- Irvine, CA, USA

May 022014

Driving car and vehicle started to shake, make rumbling noise and feels sluggish when accelerating. Doesn't feel safe to drive with sluggish, engine power intermittent.

- Portland, OR, USA

Oct 032014

320 6-cyl

Three bolts on engine mount bracket sheared off and one bolt on the same engine mount bracket was missing. The three bolts that sheared are in the engine block. This incident occurred only two weeks after bringing in my car to the peter pan BMW dealership to have my car inspected.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Aug 092014

I was informed the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket were leaking, which caused a problem with the eccentric shaft sensor. I paid for a new valvetronic motor, eccentric shaft sensor, valve cover and gaskets, and oil filter housing gasket, and the associated repair. Fast forward 3 months, I go in for a oil change and am told that again I have a significant leak from the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 182014

320 6-cyl

I was going over a small bump in the road at 30 mph and my engine mount failed. All four aluminum bolts sheared off and the engine dropped. This drop snapped my passenger drive shaft (half axle) in two pieces. I think BMW has a serious problem with the strength of the engine mount hardware. The engine mount bolts should be stronger. The failure mode is dangerous.

- Stoneham, MA, USA

Feb 202014

320 6-cyl

Noticed an unusual engine vibration. Went to my mechanic who inspected vehicle. Pointed out broken motor mount bolts. His comment I have seen several of these over the years. The bolts are made from aluminum -- they break. Said he this was an ongoing and well known issue with BMW from that year and 2009. Said BMW would not cover it. He also stated the car had no visible signs of damage, to undercarriage that would suggest any damage. He said it just happens, and a lot of people have complained to BMW, all to no avail. Instead of beamers... they should call this car a bummer. It is an very expensive problem, created by poor engineering and manufacturing. Aluminum bolts holding an engine.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Nov 092010

As an example, when attempting to accelerate the vehicle onto a moving traffic situation the car hesitates/lags/delays before the engine catches, then it takes off like a rabbit when you don't expect it. This vehicle behavior has caused near miss accidents more than once when I was driving. It's not a delay which decreases a transient surge. It increases the transient surge as the car does not respond to the throttle for a half second then bolts forward with an awkward lurch and a slam. It's much rougher than a normal takeoff would be. It's not at all smooth. Some have described it as being rear-ended. The has been happening since I purchased the car in November 2010 many BMW owners have reported the problem to BMW as I have. The answer I got as well as many others from BMW was, "it's normal".

- Brookhaven, NY, USA

Jul 262012

I was driving on the highway at about 70 miles an hour when the engine just suddenly stopped. While the car was slowing down I have to pull over and restart the car. Then after driving for another 10 min the engine stopped again this time I didn't have time to pull over and stopped in the middle of a highway. I have to keep trying before it restarted. I stopped at a gas station and was afraid to drive it again. Finally without a choice after an hour I started the car back up and was able to drive back home.

- Elberton , GA, USA