2013 BMW 320 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW 320:

2013 BMW 320 Owner Comments

Mar 042013

320 4-cyl

The car has displayed "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately" twice now in less than one year of ownership. When this display has occurred, the car goes into "limp mode" and can only be driven at low speeds or with very sluggish acceleration. This is a safety hazard, as it becomes easy to be rear-ended by another driver when it slows substantially.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 082014

320 4-cyl

Second problem with drivetrain malfunction, first problem back in Nov 2013 bought the car in August 2013.

- Oakley, CA, USA

Nov 012013

320 4-cyl

My car started shaking vigorously, and a message was displayed (drivetrain malfunction).

- Oakley, CA, USA

Jan 202014

The car would shake at idle and slow speeds. The drivetrain malfunction indicator came on.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Nov 022013

Transmission problem resulting in violent shuddering of the vehicle body and abrupt engine stops resulting in dangerous driving conditions. Fluctuations in the tachometer when the car attempted to stop and the car would automatically change gears to neutral or park.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Jul 192013

As I was approaching the on ramp for the highway, I sped up in order to merge into oncoming traffic. I depressed the gas pedal completely to the floor but the car picked up extremely slowly as if it did not have any power. I also noticed at the same time that my engine temperature seemed to be unusually low for a vehicle that had been running for over an hour. There had also been an extremely loud fan noise that would come on every 2 minutes or so. As a result of the lack of power, I nearly caused a collision between myself and the vehicle behind me because the oncoming vehicle did not anticipate someone merging onto the highway at such a slow pace. I continued to drive without power for about 20 minutes as if the car was a naturally aspirated vehicle even though it was clearly turbo charged but the turbo never kicked in. When I got off of the highway and was able to pull over to restart my vehicle, the car started to run as normal.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Apr 182013

Auto start/stop function has malfunctioned before where when I take my foot off the brake, the car doesn't start again. Normally I can just press the start button and put it in drive. This time, however, I went to start it again after it had an "auto start/stop malfunction", and it wouldn't turn back on. An error popped up saying "ignition malfunction -- do not turn engine off. Car will not start again." Currently waiting to hear back from the dealership after I had to flatbed it. Also the car wouldn't go into neutral so they had to drag it on the flatbed.

- Ada, MI, USA