2003 BMW 325 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 BMW 325:

2003 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 012007

Right rear lighting system, to include turn signal and brake light, on my 2003 BMW 325I works intermittently. BMW acknowledged defect in system in si B 63 03 06, dated February 2007 but to date has refused to initiate a recall to fix this safety defect.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Nov 012007

My dashboard panel showed a warning light indicating that the tail light was having an issue. I was told by a service center that the tail light assembly may get hot enough to melt the plastic in the housing and it will have to be replaced. Upon inspection I found that the wire harness had melted and the power supply wire for one of the lights had melted the plastic and the wire had come free. Once free, it arced to the connector pin on the bulb holder assembly and degraded that pin until the connection was lost. All plastic pieces in contact with the parts are melted and burned. I contacted the BMW service center and was told that this is not a recall issue and I was responsible for replacing these parts. Pictures are available of the parts.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 012007

Brake light malfunction due to corrosion of wires within the housing of the brake light. BMW corporate is aware of the problem, but has yet to recall it.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Sep 132006

Ltr fm (MA) concerned about the stalling tendences in model years 2001-2004 BMW 325I and 323I passenger cars. The stalling problem was eleminated by installing an update released about July 2004 by BMW ag headquarters in munich. An independent repair facility downloaded the update from the BMW-siemens website in the U.K. and installed it in the consumer's BMW. Since the software has been updated the vehicle has only stalled twice since updated, once when in the wrong gear, and once when the emergency brake was set.

- Weston, MA, USA

Sep 082003

2003 BMW 325I stalls frequently because of instability. The vehicle stalled about seven times after being driven off the lot on the date if purchase. From Dec 2003 to June 2005 the vehicle had only been drive 11,000 because the dealer was unable to alleviate the stalling condition. The dealer believed the stalling was due to driver error. The consumer believes the stalling is due to instability and that this problem could be easy fixed by updating software. An independent repair facility downloaded the update from the BMW-siemens website in the U.K. and installed it. Since the software has been updated the vehicle has only stalled twice since updated, once when in the wrong gear, and once when the emergency brake was set.

- Weston, MA, USA

Dec 012005

The engine has been stalling intermittently while driving since 11/2004, and has had 6 documented services. After last service on 11/18/05, it stalled again on 12/01/05 when driving on freeway. I had not driven it since then and had it towed and returned to the dealer on 12/10/05.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 042003

325 6-cyl

BMW 325I purchased new in April 2003. After a couple of weeks I started to experience problems. My car would jerk very hard when approaching to a stop. My car started to stall out while driving or sometimes it did not even start. In June 2003 a little over a month after I initially purchase it, I took it to the dealer. They could not duplicate the same problem and it did not register any faults in the computer. A month later took it back for the same problem and they could not duplicate problem. Another month passd took it back for the same problem and this time they were able to find out what caused the jerking problem. BMW tech said that they needed to upgrade the computer software which they did and the jerking stopped. But the most important problem that has not been fixed is my car stalling. Since purchased date my car has been in the shop several times now and my car continues to die out on me. Sometimes the car would not even start, I had to tow it back to the dealer once. Summarize current problems: Randomly does not want to start and sometimes my doors does not unlock when using the key remote.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Mar 142004

325 6-cyl

I have a BMW 325I which I purchased brand new in Nov. '02. In March '03, while driving on the njtpk at 60-65mph in the left lane, the car suddenly lost its acceleration. The clocks also went off and then reset itself to 12:00. Being that I was driving in the left lane of the NJ turnpike, I consider myself very lucky that I was able to cross four lanes of traffic and come to the right shoulder (there was no left shoulder). I waited for a while, restarted the car, reset the clock and hit the road again. Shortly after that the electrical system in the car starting acting up... at one occasion, I was not able to unlock the car using the remote. At another, the windows would not roll up upon pulling on the knob. The light below the rear view mirror would not come on. Most of these problems would go away after I would shut down the car and restart it. I took the car into princeton BMW where I had purchased it. They had never heard of this issue before. They kept the car for a full day and did extensive testing on it. At the end of the day they were not able to find anything wrong with the car. For the next few months I did not have any problems with the acceleration although the light behind the rear view mirror still does not work fine. If I turn the right light on, nothing happens for about 5-10 minutes. Then all of a sudden the light comes on. Well, this past weakened (March 14th '04) I had an another experience, on rt. 1, where the car totally lost its acceleration again. I am going to schedule an appointment with princeton BMW again. I also called BMW of na and informed them of the issue.

- Princeton Junction, NJ, USA

Feb 042004

When driving at an undetermined speed trunk would open without warning. Consumer took the vehicle to the dealership for inspection, and mechanic determined that vehicle had an electrical problem.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Jun 132003

325 6-cyl

The computer first failed on my 2003 BMW 325I on June 15, 2003, (three weeks after I picked it up from the dealership, BMW of manhattan), causing me to lose acceleration without warning. I was travelling at 60-65 miles per hour in the far left lane of the garden state parkway. I was barely able to manuever the car to the shoulder of the road and I was lucky that there happened to be a very small shoulder on the left side of the road, as I would have never been able to make it to the shoulder on the right hand side of the road and traffic was very heavy. This sudden loss of acceleration could have easily caused a fatal accident; particularly, because the cars behind me had no way to detect that my car was only coasting. The NJ state troopers had to shut down northbound traffic in all 4 lanes of the garden state parkway in order to remove my car from the parkway. The car was towed to the dealership.the dealership was unable to successfully reprogram the computer, so they sent it to montvale, NJ to be reprogrammed. The dealership returned the car to me on June 20, 2003. On June 25, 2003, the computer failed again, causing the car to lose acceleration without warning. This time, I was exiting a parking garage and another car nearly slammed into me on the exit ramp. When I restarted the car, I was able to reach the top of the ramp and pull to the side of the road, (not an easy task during rush hour in midtown manhattan!), but the car lurched repeatedly and was unable to go more than 5 mph. The car was towed to the dealership.BMW of manhattan has been unresponsive to my telephone calls. The car clearly has a very serious defect, which could easily cause fatalities.

- New York, NY, USA