2004 BMW 325 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 325:

2004 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

May 102006

Rear tail light assembly (right side). Dash warning light illuminates. All lights in assy. Work. Remove tail light assy, screw all bulbs out and in, replace plug and warning light is out. This is an ongoing problem. While still under warranty was informed of a sill that applied only if wiring or plastic assy was obviously damaged! fault occurs randomly at various intervals from weekly to monthly..

- Roanoke, TX, USA

May 012009

This is a formal petition for a safety defect investigation. My 2004 BMW 325xi has a left tail light that does not work because of a poor connection at the rear lamp connector (the ground wire receptacle and housing have burnt out because the ground is not strong enough for the current). My right tail light still functions but I am concerned about this side burning out as well and posing a possible fire hazard. BMW has issued a service bulletin (si B 63 03 06) which addresses this issue and says that the cause is "minor corrosion at the 8-pin rear lamp connector creates high resistance causing damage to the connector housing." BMW has not issued a recall and I am worried about getting into an accident without a properly functioning tail light.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 082009

At first I thought it was defective light bulbs (one from two different sets failed when one set was installed for my turn signal and the other from my brake lights), but as I began to do more research online, I found that other people were having an issue similar to mine. They reported that there seemed to be an electrical problem that would cause corrosion and a loose connection. So I decided to check my car out as well and discovered that the problem had afflicted my vehicle as well. I then followed the link to the technical service bulletin released by BMW, and the problem that I am having is just as they have described. One of the 8-pin rear lamp connectors has melted causing a loose connection and my car continuing to tell me that I have a dead bulb, when in fact it is the connection.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jun 152009

I have a 2004 BMW 325I. The rear indicator warning light came on telling me the light was out. The light was not out. I had to get a state inspection as I live in Virginia. The dealer would not pass my car due to the dashboard indicator being on. The estimate was $367. I declined the work and tried to find out what was wrong on my own. I discovered you all started an investigation on 4/9/09 on this issue. I also found internal documents from BMW on the web describing the "defect". they don't have enough grounding wires and it causes melting and corrosion. This is dangerous. They know about the problem and are ripping of the public for roughly $350 to $400 a tail light to fix the defect. They don't even have a part number for the extra ground wire. The say in their document to purchase "brown wire" from a local source and charge $1 to $2 for it. I have looked inside my tail light and it is melting in spots. I am worried about a fire and feel that BMW should pay for the repairs. They have admitted a defect. It should be recalled. Here is the document

- Radford, VA, USA

Mar 252009

1. over the lifetime of the vehicle the xenon bulbs are hot enough to burn the plastic reflector that shines the light on the road. As this reflector bowl burns inside the headlight assemble light output is severely diminished by at least 60-70% this posed a major safety issue to myself and others. 2. the headlights made by zkw were installed on BMW sedan's model years 2003-2004 only. It is a constant occurrence and is very dangerous. I cannot see the road in front of me without my fog lights. 3. I was forced to purchase two new headlight assemblies that were priced at $1,000 per side. There is no alternative which is very troublesome for thousands of owners of this model year car.

- Wayne, NJ, USA