2008 BMW 328 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 328:

2008 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Nov 032014

328

This is well-documented on BMW forums. The adaptive driver memory logic causes a throttle lag of up to 1 second. This lag can be temporarily eliminated by resetting the throttle body adaption. The unnecessary throttle lag causes an unnecessary safety hazard by delaying the car's throttle response. BMW should issue a software update that allows owners to permanently disable or lock down the feature. The problem happens mainly when the car is stopped an in-gear. When the driver depresses the accelerator pedal, the computer delays the signal to the throttle body by up to 1 second. This delay increases the likelihood of a collision by causing an the car to unnecessarily respond in a manner that is different from the driver's intent. There is a 5-step procedure that owners can follow to temporarily reset the throttle body adaption, but the computer eventually re-learns the unsafe behavior. BMW has refused to acknowledge the problem even though it has been documented in several BMW models, engines, and model years, including the 328I, the 528I, the 750li, and others. In my case, I was stopped in traffic and attempted to accelerate and change lanes quickly in order to avoid an obstacle. The driver behind me interpreted the car's delay as inaction and performed the same maneuver, subsequently causing a rear-end collision when another car in front also accelerated and moved into the other lane and caused several cars to stop. If my car had responded appropriately when I applied the accelerator pedal, the tow truck behind me might have delayed his action.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Nov 162015

328

My wife was driving home from work on the highway at night and her entire car just shut off without warning nearly causing her to be killed by a tractor trailer we had car towed to BMW dealership and they say valvetronic sensor/seal issue...but this was scary and nearly killed my wife so I felt compelled to report this issue

- Sandy Hook, CT, USA

Jul 182014

328 6-cyl

I was going over a small bump in the road at 30 mph and my engine mount failed. All four aluminum bolts sheared off and the engine dropped. This drop snapped my passenger drive shaft (half axle) in two pieces. I think BMW has a serious problem with the strength of the engine mount hardware. The engine mount bolts should be stronger. The failure mode is dangerous.

- Stoneham, MA, USA

Aug 112013

328

Heard a loud bang from engine compartment, passenger side. Subsequent left turns resulted in a thud with each revolution of the tire from the same area. Suspected cv joint. Took it into shop, and mechanic found that two right side engine mount bolts had corroded and sheared. Bolts are aluminum and engine block is magnesium which resulted in dissimilar metal corrosion. Engine fell and came to rest on frame.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Aug 082012

328 6-cyl

I have had my car in at least three separate occasions for my 2008 BMW 328xi E90 sedan losing all power randomly! the latest incident, in the first weeks of August, almost got me killed! a transportation bus stopped suddenly in front of me on a 3 lane highway and I went into the middle lane to pass the bus. I had slowed from the speed limit of 55 down to about 30 miles an hour, switched lanes and then punched the gas in order to resume speed of the rest of traffic. The car stalled with no power whatsoever for about three seconds. An 18 wheel truck came within 50 feet of me or so and almost killed me, then the car suddenly regained all power and I was able to avert the collision! it is so frustrating that there are at least three other owners out there that have reported this issue online and BMW has done nothing to fix this problem. There are no codes, no lights, nothing. I just had my car in the dealer for two weeks and they ran fuel pressure tests, drove the car, etc. The car stalled once on them, but then they could not duplicate the problem again. I read on www.E90post.com some others had the learning computer in the transmission reset to attempt to resolve this problem. Seems the computer gets confused on driving habits of owner and forgets what gear to be in when driving, so it stalls. I had dealer reset computer to zero so it relearns my driving habits and I will see if this fixes the problem. I will say, the hesitation issue does seem to be a transmission issue to my observations. Seem like tranny is figuring out what gear to be in. I think there is a glitch in the sw/tranny where the ECU gets confused and does not know what gear to put the car into, then it hesitates until the algorithm figures out what to do. The problem is that this 2-3 second loss of power, when passing, getting onto a highway or pulling in front of traffic can kill you!

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

May 112009

328

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328I. The contact stated that the transmission would shift abnormally hard in second gear. The contact also stated that when the weather was below freezing, the vehicle could not be shifted into reverse. The contact stated that the failure was a random occurrence. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times, but the dealer was always unable to determine the failure and advised the contact that the reverse failure was a normal occurrence in colder temperatures. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 48,000.

- Mineola, NY, USA

Aug 012011

328

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328xi. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to an authorized the dealer and was awaiting diagnosis. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure and current mileages were 39,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Brighton, MI, USA