2008 BMW 328 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 328:

2008 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Jun 302016

328

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328xi. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road and noticed a strong odor of fuel. Fuel was also leaking from an unknown part of the rear of the vehicle. The failure recurred whenever the fuel level was beyond half a tank. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 129,200.

- Pittstown, NJ, USA

May 062016

328

Currently I have the high pressure fuel pump in my 335I (2008). I have my "service engine soon engine malfunction. Reduced power" light on - it just came on yesterday. Original warranty was 4 years 40,000 miles. Which according to BMW was extended 10 years 120,000. So I am out of warranty because I already have 130K, my car was brought to BMW several occasion, it was never brought to my attention that there may a potential problems with the high pressure fuel pump.

- Middlesex, NJ, USA

Nov 032014

328

This is well-documented on BMW forums. The adaptive driver memory logic causes a throttle lag of up to 1 second. This lag can be temporarily eliminated by resetting the throttle body adaption. The unnecessary throttle lag causes an unnecessary safety hazard by delaying the car's throttle response. BMW should issue a software update that allows owners to permanently disable or lock down the feature. The problem happens mainly when the car is stopped an in-gear. When the driver depresses the accelerator pedal, the computer delays the signal to the throttle body by up to 1 second. This delay increases the likelihood of a collision by causing an the car to unnecessarily respond in a manner that is different from the driver's intent. There is a 5-step procedure that owners can follow to temporarily reset the throttle body adaption, but the computer eventually re-learns the unsafe behavior. BMW has refused to acknowledge the problem even though it has been documented in several BMW models, engines, and model years, including the 328I, the 528I, the 750li, and others. In my case, I was stopped in traffic and attempted to accelerate and change lanes quickly in order to avoid an obstacle. The driver behind me interpreted the car's delay as inaction and performed the same maneuver, subsequently causing a rear-end collision when another car in front also accelerated and moved into the other lane and caused several cars to stop. If my car had responded appropriately when I applied the accelerator pedal, the tow truck behind me might have delayed his action.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jan 022016

328

Attention: BMW customer relations on, Saturday, 01/02/2016, at approximately 6:30pm my wife and I were driving on the fort hamilton pkwy in brooklyn, NY in my BMW 328I convertible. While driving at 55 miles per hour my car suddenly stop completely in the middle to traffic. In order to exit off the highway safely, I allowed the car to roll to reduce speed then use the hand brake it to stop the car completely at the nearest exit, ext # 5. after exiting I called the towing company. It appeared that this incident was the result a fuel pump failure on my 2008 BMW 328xi which according to the mechanic burnt the control module which caused the engine to shut down completely. Fuel tank failure is a hazardous condition and given the fact that a fuel pump failure results in an immediate loss of engine power, power steering, and power brakes and a potential design flaw. Due to this fuel tank failure my wife and I live were placed in danger. I called BMW customer relations. I informed them of what had happened and I expressed my concern for the safety of my wife and my life and explained the cause of the problem. The representative I spoke to today, 01/07/15, informed me that I should┐ve gotten a warning light on the dash board and stated she could not give me any additional information unless the car was present. I informed her that at the time the car broke down their dealership was closed and I was forced to have it towed to G & J service auto repair shop located at 198 28th street, New York, NY 11232. She stated that there was nothing further she could do or assistance she could give without the car being present. A fuel pump is an integral part of any car. Given the responsibility of literally pumping a vehicle's fuel from its tank to the engine, a malfunctioning fuel pump will always lead to a total disaster. Driver's need to be aware of this common problem

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 112015

328

My car was in motion and it stalled in middle of freeway without any warning ! it was the fuel pump that had failed ! BMW already has recalled many models for this same issue. Why put thousands of people's lives in danger and not recall the 2008 328I also when they are already aware of this fuel pump failure ?

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Jul 202015

328

I was driving on a highway around 60 mph speed and suddenly my car couldn't speed any further and lucky for me I was driving next to center divide and could pull it, I was able to avoid any accident. It was peak traffic time ( early morning commute ). so I believe this needs to looked into that if there was a recall which was not applied to all the make, models. After diagnosis it was found the issue was with fuel pump on which there are certain recalls on the newer models but for 2008 model they was none I confirmed with the customer service.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 132015

328

Experienced same problem noted in NHTSA campaign # 14V176000. Vanos bolt sheared off, connected to the intake camshaft, then timing chain broke and came off.

- Bellevue, WA, USA

May 022015

328 6-cyl

The car use take a look a long time to start now it's not starting at all it just makes noise.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Apr 262013

328 6-cyl

While driving, attempting to pass a vehicle, I press the accelerator and the pedal had no response and the rpms dropped. After trying to accelerate, the engine dies and I drift to the side of the road attempting to Dodge traffic as the car's gas pedal is not responding. Upon pulling over safely, nearly hitting cars along the way I come to stop on the side of the road. The car then no longer starts. Cranking can be heard but engine does not turn over or start. Had it repaired, the reason is a fuel pump failure, fuel pump module failure, and blown fuse on fuel pump. Car is out of warranty and cost to repair is $1,800 and a risk to my safety.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Aug 082012

328 6-cyl

I have had my car in at least three separate occasions for my 2008 BMW 328xi E90 sedan losing all power randomly! the latest incident, in the first weeks of August, almost got me killed! a transportation bus stopped suddenly in front of me on a 3 lane highway and I went into the middle lane to pass the bus. I had slowed from the speed limit of 55 down to about 30 miles an hour, switched lanes and then punched the gas in order to resume speed of the rest of traffic. The car stalled with no power whatsoever for about three seconds. An 18 wheel truck came within 50 feet of me or so and almost killed me, then the car suddenly regained all power and I was able to avert the collision! it is so frustrating that there are at least three other owners out there that have reported this issue online and BMW has done nothing to fix this problem. There are no codes, no lights, nothing. I just had my car in the dealer for two weeks and they ran fuel pressure tests, drove the car, etc. The car stalled once on them, but then they could not duplicate the problem again. I read on www.E90post.com some others had the learning computer in the transmission reset to attempt to resolve this problem. Seems the computer gets confused on driving habits of owner and forgets what gear to be in when driving, so it stalls. I had dealer reset computer to zero so it relearns my driving habits and I will see if this fixes the problem. I will say, the hesitation issue does seem to be a transmission issue to my observations. Seem like tranny is figuring out what gear to be in. I think there is a glitch in the sw/tranny where the ECU gets confused and does not know what gear to put the car into, then it hesitates until the algorithm figures out what to do. The problem is that this 2-3 second loss of power, when passing, getting onto a highway or pulling in front of traffic can kill you!

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA