2010 BMW 328 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 BMW 328:

2010 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Dec 232014

328

I believe that unintended acceleration caused my one vehicle accident. I was reversing slowly out of a steep driveway. Once out of the driveway, I put my foot on the brake so that I could switch gear in to drive. When I put my foot on brake, the car accelerated backwards, and I couldn't control it. The brake wouldn't work. The acceleration was so fast, that what stopped me was hitting a horse fence across the street. I was going so fast, that I ended up going airborne, and only damaged the top of the horse fence. My front part of my car then fell forward and broke the tie rod in half. I ended up with whiplash and a concussion, requiring post-concussion syndrome physical therapy for 4 months. I asked BMW for a special investigation into my car to see if it malfunctioned. My car was not allowed to be fixed prior to the investigation and had to be done at a BMW dealer, which it was. Everything was a secret when BMW investigated my car. The BMW dealer service manager wasn't allowed to be told any findings or watch the investigation. BMW sent me a letter afterwards stating that the car didn't malfunction. I have been driving for 33 years without one accident or traffic violation. I had driven that car for 4 years and I know that my foot was on the brake but I was accelerating faster and faster and couldn't stop the car. I have read other reports of unintended acceleration and what is described is exactly what happened to me. I am lucky and thankful that no car or person was behind me, because I could have killed someone. I was only going about 5 miles per hour when I pushed on brake, but unintended acceleration had me going in reverse about 50 miles per hour until I hit horse fence. The brakes didn't work. I have photos of horse fence and broken tie rod but only allowed to upload 5 files.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Jan 042014

328

While driving to work on the interstate my car began to hesitate and would not accelerate. The following day the check engine light came on and the problems with hesitation became worse and the car would not go over 50 miles per hour on the highway and would almost stall when I came to a stop. Took car in for service and they stated that there was a failining ignition coil in cylinder #3 which was replaced. On 11/28 the car starting doing the same thing. I had to take it to a different dealership that was closer to my work because the car would not accelerate on the highway and I felt very unsafe. At this time the car has 53440 miles on it. Right out of warranty! I called both dealerships and come to find out this is a known issue with this model BMW. I was charged $681.06 for a known issue and this being the 2nd time my car has had this issue. This time the failure was in cyliders 2 and 6! and was told to pay to replace all as they will continue to fail! I contacted the dealership BMW of towson and never received a return call. I should not have been charged for this service as BMW of catonsville would have done the replacement for free as this is a known issue with this car. I couldnt drive all the way to BMW of catonsville because my car would now accelerate on the highway. I am continuing to look for a refund of $681.06 as I should not have been charged for something that BMW should have recalled.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 012013

328 6-cyl

Driver side floor mat curled up at front and was captured by clutch pedal when changing gear. When clutch was again engaged, mat was pulled up and interfered with subsequent brake operation before freeing itself and falling back onto floor well. Since problem was intermittent, it took a while to figure out.

- Wallingford, CT, USA