3.7

2012 BMW 328 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW 328:

2012 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Jan 232016

328

While driving in the evening I started to accelerate from a stop light and the car just stuttered out of no where and had trouble accelerating. A warning popped up that said drivetrain malfunction. The car is still not outputting enough power and the warning is still up. It goes away and then pops up after drivi G 40mph. I have done, plenty of research on this and there are a ton of hits and complaints on this. BMW needs to figure out what is wrong with their vehicles and send out a recall. Its scary knowing a luxury car does this not just with me but with hundreds of otherw going through this and there is no answer.P

- Covina, CA, USA

Jan 152016

328

While driving this afternoon I started to accelerate from a stop light and the car just stuttered out of no where and had trouble accelerating. A warning popped up that said drivetrain malfunction. I took it to the closest repair shop and they ran diagnostics on it and cannot figure out what is wrong. The car is still not outputting enough power and the warning is still up. I have done research on this and there are a ton of hits on this. BMW needs to figure out what is wrong with their vehicles and send out a recall.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

May 042015

328

Sudden complete loss of power while underway on interstate 476 North of philadelphia. Car stopped in the middle of 4 lanes of high speed traffic at 4:10 pm.it would not restart. There was no warning of an issue prior. I am sole operator of car. Car was in dealers shop for 7 days. No obvious cause found, but Bosch coils replaced as a precaution. 300 miles later on May 26, at approx 5:20 pm the car again w/O warning had sudden complete loss of power; would not restart.

- New Hope., PA, USA

Nov 152014

328

Driving my 2012 BMW 328I on the interstate I-10 in Arizona MM163 at approx. 80mph and I get an error code "drive train malfunction, drive moderately" after this message I was not able to accelerate as the power train was nonexistent. Had to coast through heavy traffic in a construction zone to get my family to a safe area. I just bought the vehicle from the dealership 4 months prior as it was cpo'ed and I have the extended warranty. Vehicle mileage at time of incident was 49990 (still under full BMW warranty).

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA

May 232014

328 4-cyl

Unable to accelerate safely, engine gives out intermittently at varying speeds. Called every dealership around alpharetta, ga; gwinnette BMW told me they wouldn't work on it or help me and then hung up-all on a recorded line. Still waiting for a manager to call me. Called another dealer and they said to wait a few hours and try again meanwhile I can only hope my car doesn't shut off on my during rush hour or on my way to work. This has been on ongoing issue with the F30 BMW 3 series as many customers indicated this issue for at least two years.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Sep 122012

328

Bought brand new 2012 328I. Within 2 months engine malfunction warning would show up and car would go into "limp mode" and barely drive able. Sometimes could be reset by turning off, then back on. Happened multiple times, and every time the dealer told me no one else was having this problem. They blamed the fuel injectors and replaced them multiple times. It was in the shop a total of 6 times for same "drive train malfunction" warning. I made them buy the car back from me, assuming it was a fluke with the car, because they continued to assure me that no one else was having this problem, anywhere, I bought a brand new 2013 328I. Within a month I had the same problem. Except this time it was worse. It couldn't be fixed by turning it off then back on. Every time it happened, 3 times now, it has required a trip to the dealership for the exact same "drivetrain malfunction" warning. They still say there's no problem. When it happens the engine shakes violently and the car will barely run 55mph if pushed. This is a consistent problem that is being ignored by BMW. Every time I have to take the car in they say their "guidelines" just call for a computer reset, and that it has been fixed, only to leave me on the side of the road a month later.

- Tallahassee , FL, USA

Jun 282013

328

Went to start car and got a drive train malfunction message. Had it towed to a BMW dealer to diagnose the problem. They will replace the intake vanos solenoid sensor.

- Lemoore , CA, USA