2012 BMW 328 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW 328:

2012 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Jan 282016

I bought my car at around 50K miles, after manufacturer' warranty had expired. It was fine for about a month after my purchase. One day, after driving from the store, my car indicated I needed to fasten my seatbelt. I was fastened in. So I stopped and restarted the car, thinking it was some weird electrical problem. I restarted the car and the same thing happened. I got home and the next time I got into my car to drive it, the display now shows" driver restraint system malfunction: Continue wearing safety belt. Consult nearest service center." I took the car to the dealership. The warranty I purchased does not cover seatbelts or airbag sensors. The dealer gave me a cost of replacement: $820.52! I have read that others have had this issue. Yet, there is no recall. Why would it be okay for seatbelts and airbag sensors to stop working just after 50K miles?

- Portland, OR, USA