5.9

2013 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW 328:

2013 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Nov 152016

328

This is now a repeat problem (3 times). Driving at speed on local roads the car drops to idle speed and there is no response from the gas pedal. This morning I had just gotten the car back from BMW service and was driving back to work when the same thing happened. This time it happened as I was turning across the oncoming traffic lane and I was let basically stationary in the oncoming lane.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Jul 132016

328

It seems that I have damage to my valve cam, well just looked up and the vehicle was involved in an accident that was never reported to me at the time of purchase - I am looking at paying over 1700 for a valve cover (labor and material). My air bag lights came on in July and I am told that my VIN is not under recall - when I took to mechanic I was told to take to BMW to have added to recall

- Humble, TX, USA

Jul 012016

328

The vehicle can't handle heavy rain with medium sized puddles. The owner's manual clearly states, "drive through calm water only if not deeper than 9.8 inches, no faster than walking speed up to 6mph." This puddle was under 4 inches as I measured and took photos, but BMW refuses to warranty the work. They claim the engine hydrolocked resulting in full replacement of the engine. A quick trip to google and you will see many people complaining of the same issue. We were the only car disabled. 2 dealers admitted to engineering flaws, but laughed at BMW covering the repairs. BMW usa was of no help either.

- West Long Branch, NJ, USA

Mar 302015

328

Oil seeping into the turbo system causing moderate to heavy white smoke from exhaust at cold start up only.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 212014

328 4-cyl

Engine light appeared which is resulting in a replacement of the thermostat.

- Bowie, MD, USA

May 212014

328 4-cyl

The car has been taken back 3X in the past 3 months for the same issue the car turns off by itself when stopped. BMW dealership could not find any mechanical problems or reasons for engine shutting off.. they shut off the feature and the car continues to shut off... on the morning of July 3, 2014, as I was coming to a red light the brake pedals got very hard and I had to push the pedals all the way to the floor for the car to stop completely. The car is currently in the shop being checked out. I called BMW to find out what can be done, I dont feel safe in this car anymore.

- Miami , FL, USA

Dec 062013

328

In light of recent hearings into GM failure to correct vehicle issues resulting in deaths, and BMW past history of not reporting malfunctions I submit the following: On 2 occasions while driving on a high speed highway the engine malfunction indicator came on, the vehicle lost power and started to vibrate violently. I was able to get off the highway and the vehicle was returned to BMW for repair. I was told that in both incidents it was computer error. I don't believe them especially when they will not return my phone calls and E-mails, and I want to be on record as reporting both incidents.

- Bethel, NY, USA

Mar 042013

328 4-cyl

The car has displayed "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately" twice now in less than one year of ownership. When this display has occurred, the car goes into "limp mode" and can only be driven at low speeds or with very sluggish acceleration. This is a safety hazard, as it becomes easy to be rear-ended by another driver when it slows substantially.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 082014

328 4-cyl

Second problem with drivetrain malfunction, first problem back in Nov 2013 bought the car in August 2013.

- Oakley, CA, USA

Nov 012013

328 4-cyl

My car started shaking vigorously, and a message was displayed (drivetrain malfunction).

- Oakley, CA, USA

Aug 052013

328 4-cyl

I received a service required light to bring in for service. After I received the first oil change within the next 3 months I had to add oil to the car consistently. I brought the car back in for service on 11/20/2013 - 15,240 miles I was advised all the systems were reset and the if the add oil light came back on to bring the car back into for service but do not add oil. The add oil light came on again on 12/2/2013 and I brought the car back into service on 12/9/2013 - 15,975. During this time only 735 miles were driven however the light came on a week before I brought the car into service. I was advised that oil is required every 750 miles and this is normal for bmws. I have spoken to many other BMW owners and they stated that they do not have to do this. I have contacted BMW usa and advised of this problem and they stated that they feel this is normal usage. I stated that having to add 4 quarts of oil into a car is not normal. I have taken the car back in for service on 1/28/2014 for the matter to be resolved.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jan 202014

328

The car would shake at idle and slow speeds. The drivetrain malfunction indicator came on.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Nov 082013

328 4-cyl

2013 BMW 328I X-drive, driving @ 40 mph the drivetrain malfunction light came on, car went into reduced power mode (no higher than 20 mph) making a very dangerous situation in traffic. Luckily I could pull over to a safe area. I called BMW roadside assistance. When tow truck arrived, no warning light! dealer could not replicate error, but now have a air bag warning coming on intermittently... back to dealer I guess. This is a common, potentially dangerous and frustrating issue for 328 owners.

- Sumter, SC, USA

Nov 022013

328

Transmission problem resulting in violent shuddering of the vehicle body and abrupt engine stops resulting in dangerous driving conditions. Fluctuations in the tachometer when the car attempted to stop and the car would automatically change gears to neutral or park.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Jul 192013

328

As I was approaching the on ramp for the highway, I sped up in order to merge into oncoming traffic. I depressed the gas pedal completely to the floor but the car picked up extremely slowly as if it did not have any power. I also noticed at the same time that my engine temperature seemed to be unusually low for a vehicle that had been running for over an hour. There had also been an extremely loud fan noise that would come on every 2 minutes or so. As a result of the lack of power, I nearly caused a collision between myself and the vehicle behind me because the oncoming vehicle did not anticipate someone merging onto the highway at such a slow pace. I continued to drive without power for about 20 minutes as if the car was a naturally aspirated vehicle even though it was clearly turbo charged but the turbo never kicked in. When I got off of the highway and was able to pull over to restart my vehicle, the car started to run as normal.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Feb 052013

328 4-cyl

While slowly coming to a stop, the brake pedal became hard yet the car would not stop and seemed to glide for 10-15 feet before finally stopping at which point the engine revved to 6000 RPM, but did not accelerate. The pedal became so hard that I could not press any harder, yet was still slowly moving. Turned the car off and restarted the car and drove to the dealer. The dealer could not find anything wrong. On 7/15/2013 the exact same thing happened again as I was pressing the brake pedal I could feel the car continuing to move forward and the brake pedal became very hard yet still did not stop the car. As soon as the car finally stopped the engine revved to 3500 RPM, at which time I shut it off. Car is back at the dealer and bmwna has been notified of both episodes.

- Prairie Grove, IL, USA

Apr 182013

328

Auto start/stop function has malfunctioned before where when I take my foot off the brake, the car doesn't start again. Normally I can just press the start button and put it in drive. This time, however, I went to start it again after it had an "auto start/stop malfunction", and it wouldn't turn back on. An error popped up saying "ignition malfunction -- do not turn engine off. Car will not start again." Currently waiting to hear back from the dealership after I had to flatbed it. Also the car wouldn't go into neutral so they had to drag it on the flatbed.

- Ada, MI, USA