2013 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW 328:

2013 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Apr 212015

328

The contact owned a 2013 BMW 328I. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own to 40-50 mph. All the warning indicator sensors blinked on and off. The contact depressed the brake pedal; however, the brakes failed and locked up. In addition, the steering failed. The vehicle drove over the sidewalk and the seat belt released automatically. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The struck her head on the steering wheel and injured her neck and lower back. Medical attention was received. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was deemed destroyed. The failure mileage was approximately 10,000.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 182014

328

On August 18, 2014, my 2013 BMW 328I with automatic transmission, suddenly and unintentionally accelerated as I slowly pulled into a parking spot at work. It happened as I prepared to stop. ( my foot was on the brake.) it failed to stop or slow down in response to brake pressure. Pumping the brakes was totally ineffective however it did eventually stop approx. 6ft over the curb. The car moved so quickly and so suddenly the driver pulling in behind me for an instant didn't know where I had gone. That this happened in a parking spot and not on the road at a stop light or a children crossing is a miracle. This automobile was purchased new and has approx 8000 miles.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 152013

328 4-cyl

Had similar problem as previously reported incident (09/30/2013), the loss power. This was the second time for me. The first incident occurred on October 29, 2013. When I put foot on gas, the car would not accelerate. I took car to dealer and two days later was told the auxiliary power supply needed to be replaced, but the replacement part was unavailable: There were no parts in the country nor could they tell me when the part would be available. I was told I could continue operate the car and I should not be concerned. The loss of power occurred again November 15. I also noticed similar to the previously reported incident a change in the engine temperature - the temperature dropped from about 250 deg to about 205 deg.

- Penn Valley, PA, USA

Nov 022013

328

Transmission problem resulting in violent shuddering of the vehicle body and abrupt engine stops resulting in dangerous driving conditions. Fluctuations in the tachometer when the car attempted to stop and the car would automatically change gears to neutral or park.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Jul 192013

328

As I was approaching the on ramp for the highway, I sped up in order to merge into oncoming traffic. I depressed the gas pedal completely to the floor but the car picked up extremely slowly as if it did not have any power. I also noticed at the same time that my engine temperature seemed to be unusually low for a vehicle that had been running for over an hour. There had also been an extremely loud fan noise that would come on every 2 minutes or so. As a result of the lack of power, I nearly caused a collision between myself and the vehicle behind me because the oncoming vehicle did not anticipate someone merging onto the highway at such a slow pace. I continued to drive without power for about 20 minutes as if the car was a naturally aspirated vehicle even though it was clearly turbo charged but the turbo never kicked in. When I got off of the highway and was able to pull over to restart my vehicle, the car started to run as normal.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Feb 052013

328 4-cyl

While slowly coming to a stop, the brake pedal became hard yet the car would not stop and seemed to glide for 10-15 feet before finally stopping at which point the engine revved to 6000 RPM, but did not accelerate. The pedal became so hard that I could not press any harder, yet was still slowly moving. Turned the car off and restarted the car and drove to the dealer. The dealer could not find anything wrong. On 7/15/2013 the exact same thing happened again as I was pressing the brake pedal I could feel the car continuing to move forward and the brake pedal became very hard yet still did not stop the car. As soon as the car finally stopped the engine revved to 3500 RPM, at which time I shut it off. Car is back at the dealer and bmwna has been notified of both episodes.

- Prairie Grove, IL, USA

Jan 272013

328 4-cyl

The subject vehicle accelerated unexpectedly when the car was slowly turning into a parking space in a parking lot. The driver had to suddenly press very hard on the brake in order to stop the car.

- Mclean, VA, USA