2.0

2003 BMW 330 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 BMW 330:

2003 BMW 330 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 022009

330

Real light assembly (turn signal, parking light brake light) malfunctions occasionally and none of the lights work thus, posing a dangerous situation when vehicle in motion, turning and especially at night. Problem has been going on for at least a year. It appears that the wire connector in the assembly is burning out thus causing a short, I have temporarily repaired the problem myself by cleaning the burned parts of the wire and reconnecting and protecting with electric tape.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 022010

330

I recently purchase a 2003 BMW 330I with factory xenon lights that were manufactured by zkw. The light output of these headlamps is the worst by far I have ever seen from a modern vehicle. Xenon headlamps normally have superior brightness over halogen headlamps. My fog lights put off more light than the zkw headlamps. I know that this is not a bulb issue, because they bulbs have been replaced. The bowls that reflect the light turn brown because of the heat and light output goes way down over time, from what I have read on many forums. This is a major safety issue and BMW only sells the entire headlamp to fix the problem and not just the bowl that burns and discolors. The headlamps from BMW are over $1,000 each and I really can't justify spending that right now. Headlights are not a wearable item and I never expected to have to rep.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Jan 102010

330

Model 2003 BMW 330I E46 (3 series) sedan situation one of the rear lights is inoperative. Cause minor corrosion at the 8-pin rear lamp connector creates high resistance causing damage to the connector housing (it actually burned through the plastic housing potential for fire) correction repair the damaged wire(s) and replace damaged connector housing. Install additional ground wires to both left and right rear lamps.

- Plano, TX, USA

Apr 142009

330

Formal petition for safety defect investigation, after replacing the tail light bulbs in on the passenger and driver's side they continued to burn out, after taking the bulb housing cover off, I noticed a burning smell and the brown wire in the unit had melted the entire connection. I was told by my local BMW dealership this is a known flaw as the ground wire is not adequate to handle the power coming through, this issue has caused me to almost be rear-ended 4 times when the light suddenly will stop working BMW usa whom I contacted is aware of this malfunction, and has done nothing to address this issue. Updated 04/27/09.

- Bridgeport, CT, USA