2004 BMW 330 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 330:

2004 BMW 330 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Oct 072016

330

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 330ci. While driving and/or parked, the rear passenger side lamp turn signal failed. The contact stated that the instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was driven to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 11V438000 (exterior lighting). The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jan 022017

330

Headlights project almost no light. Just paid $130 to have lenses cleaned, no improvment. I thought it was my eyes and complained to opthamologist twice but my eyes are ok. I've read tht the reflector bowls in this model melt from the heat of the bulb. I need to remedy this situation asap so I will not be able to wait for an investigation.

- Greenbrae, CA, USA

Nov 062016

330

Zkw brand xenon headlamps have defective reflector bowls. The lights burn off all of the reflective surface causing the low/high beams to be so dim that driving at night is impossible. The part (reflector bowl) is not available as a replacement part, it can only be purchased as a whole headlight assembly for $1300 each light. This is a major safety issue, that I have just found out about. As we have been getting into winter and the daylight saving change cause earlier sunset times, I noticed my headlights were not very bright on the road. It hasn't been an issue that I noticed in past years due to my <1 mile commute, but this year I purchased a house 25mi from work and the amount of night driving has increased dramatically. I first adjusted the alignment of the lights to try to correct what I thought the issue was, and also have replaced one of the head light bulbs with no change. I found out about this issue on BMW forums all over the internet, and it seems to be extremely common. There needs to be a recall, or at least an oem replacement part available.

- Northwood, NH, USA

Nov 142016

330

Headlight wiring on my 2004 BMW 330ci degraded prematurely accelerated by heat and high voltage until it caused my headlight to fail while driving on the interstate in the early evening. The symptom was caused by the supply wires to the igniter losing there insulation at stressed harness attachment point, arced over, and caused the copper conductors to become brittle. This symptom was seen on the projector assembly wiring as well as the daylight running light which did not exhibit the copper breakdown. Insulation of both assemblies crumbled to flakes when touched and rendered the headlight assembly unusable. This fault could just as easily cause a fire in the headlight assembly during which the specified headlight fuses may not provide protection to the associated vehicle systems. The only provided solution from the manufacturer is to buy a new assembly for a component which should only require periodic replacement of the lamps when they burn out. Fortunately my car also flood lights which helped to light the way when the headlamp failed.

- Hallandale Beach, FL, USA

Nov 062016

330

Low beam hid headlight projector made by zkw for BMW are poorly designed/made, unable to handle the heat output from the oem xenon bulbs, the part becomes severely scorched and degraded, reducing light output to unsafe levels. To compensate, fog lights have to be used to safely see the pavement. This is a very well documented issue with this manufacturer's product (zkw). BMW had another manufacturer, al (automotive lighting), which didn't suffer from this problem.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Oct 152016

330

I recently purchased the vehicle and immediately noticed the poor light output from the factory xenons. I went online and found out that many people with the E46 sedan with xenon headlights manufactured by zkw have an issue of the projector bowls burning slowly over time due to poor material choice that cannot withstand the heat generated by the factory bulbs. Upon inspection of my headlights, I noticed that the bowls in my headlights were indeed both burnt and cracked and as a result of this, it is extremely difficult to see at night due to poor light output. I have resulted to using my fog lights as a supplementary light source just to see in the evenings and I find this unacceptable and negligent of BMW considering complaints have been made for years.

- Ball Ground, GA, USA

Jul 012015

330

My headlights are so dim at night it is impossible to see without high beams on at all times. The fog lights are brighter than my new headlight bulbs. Only solution seems to replace the whole assembly but after researching this seems to be an ongoing issue with BMW so why should I have to spend over $1500 when they should have to replace them with a recall.

- Cartersville, GA, USA

Jul 192016

330

The left tail light is intermittently off. Each time I step on the brakes, the tail light randomly turns on or off. My right headlight is off, too. I switched the bulbs from left to right and they still work. I can't check my fuses because my glovebox doesn't open anymore.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Feb 162016

330

Vehicle has very poor headlight visibility at night due to burnt out plastic reflector bowls from BMW's sub-supplier zkw. Replacement bowls are not available for purchase from BMW. Only fix from them is replacing the entire headlight assembly which costs thousands of dollars.

- Clifford, IN, USA

Aug 252011

330

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2004 BMW 330xi. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 11V438000 (exterior lighting), 15V318000 (air bags) and 14V428000 (air bags) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Nov 052015

330

Headlights no longer illuminate due to deteriorating headlight material considered a defect due to inferior plastic used when originally manufactured. Low illumination level creates a serious safety hazard to driver and public causing severe injuries and damage. The high cost of replacing these headlight assemblies cannot be burdened by the vehicle owners. Based on my research this vehicle condition has been reported asking the governing entities to take action by recalling the vehicle and having the manufacturer correct the defect.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 182015

330

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 330ci. The contact stated that the passenger side tail light failed to illuminate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V438000 (exterior lighting). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Sep 102013

330

Over the last couple of years I have noticed that the headlights ability to provide good visibility at night has reduced dramatically, especially when raining or wet roads. I made sure the lenses were clear and new bulbs did not help. After doing some research on the internet I found thru several forums that this is a common issue with bmws' equipped with the zkw brand of bi-xenon headlights. The reason is the projector bowels are made of plastic and over time burn due to the excessive heat generated by the xenon bulb.so much so that the reflector bowls turn black instead of silver and therefore cannot reflect the light produced by the bulb. The fog lights provide more light or if there is someone following me the car behind me provides far more light than my own car. This is a serious safety issue and should be subject to recall. The only way to remedy that I have found so far is to replace the projector bowls withe after market ones which requires some modifications at a cost of about $800. Us.

- Tecumseh, MI, USA

Sep 012014

330

The headlights are useless at night. The bulbs all function perfectly, but the reflector housings are "worn" according to my mechanic. I understand the need to replace bulbs over the lifetime of a vehicle, but $3,000 for a whole new headlight assembly is outrageous! this is a design defect that the NHTSA refuses to investigate. There are thousands of complaints regarding this design defect all over the internet. This is a serious safety issue!

- Orefield, PA, USA

Jul 312015

330

Light output from my car is extremely poor causing a safety concern. Upon investigating why the light output is so poor, I have determined that like many others the lights fitted into this 2004 BMW 330I are manufactured for BMW by a company called zkw who used plastic for the reflector lenses for the hid assemblies. This plastic degrades and becomes burnt which significantly diminishes the light output, even from new oem bulbs that were installed in the car. A light meter indicates that these lights now have less than 50% of the light output of the same car using lights manufactured by al that BMW also used on these vehicles. Longevity of light output availability through lighting design and manufacture should not be considered a wear item by the vehicle maker. This is for the safety of both the vehicle owner and others on the road who may be subjected to a crash caused by poor visibility.

- Holly Springs, NC, USA

Apr 062009

330 6-cyl

Head lights are very dim. Reflectors are burned. Headlights do not project on the road. Cannot see at night.

- Spring Green, WI, USA

Mar 242015

330

The headlight reflectors on this car (and other of this year model) are manufactured by zkw and they have failed causing very low, unsafe levels of light output. The reflectors are burnt and cracked. The only way to get any reasonable or safe light output for night driving is to use the fog lights and this is an unsafe condition and I am surprised there hasn't been a recall. This is a well known problem. Unsafe lighting and proceed while unknowingly endangering themselves and others. Do not pass state inspection light out put in some states, this problem should be address, if you look on the inter net people are modifying them to give more light witch makes it more unsafe.

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

Jul 032013

330 6-cyl

Zkw hid xenon low beam reflectors burnt or corroded causing a significant decrease in light output that BMW wants ~$3000 to fix. Lights were a premium option and cannot be corrected by xenon bulb replacement. The output has dimmed as to be unsafe.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 132013

330

The very first time I tried to drive the car at nighttime to go back home, my wife and kids were on board, and we were more than 200 miles from home. After I turned on the low-beam head lamps and started rolling, I could barely see the road because the headlamps were not properly illuminating. I flipped the switch several times to no avail. putting lives and properties at risk, I continued driving until we got home, all the while driving with the high-beam lamps on and apparently getting the others drivers on the road fuming. I took the car to both a lamp-adjusting station and a BMW dealer where I was told the lamps could neither be adjusted nor their bulbs merely replaced because the problem was the reflector bowls were defective and had lost their ability to project light properly. I was also told that both that the reflector bowls could not be replaced individually, and that both (left and right sides) assemblies must be replaced at a total cost of more than $2000. Many posters in the BMW forums have voiced out exactly the same problems, and I wish that all would file a complaint to NHTSA. I never drove this car again at night until I had " in August 2014 " purchased and finally received and installed the head lamps assemblies in October 2014. I have in my possession the headlamp adjusting station's invoice and recommendation plus the receipt and invoice for the new headlamp assemblies that had to be specially ordered from germany. On November 17, 2014, by certified mail, I sent BMW of North America my request for reimbursement, but I have yet to receive a response. Due to this defect which affects safety, I strongly and respectfully suggest that a recall be issued on this BMW model, or some sort of directive be issued for BMW to reimburse those owners 'such as I who had already replaced their lamp assemblies at their own expense.

- Midway City, CA, USA

Dec 142014

330 6-cyl

The low beams on my 2004 BMW 330I are very dim. They barely light up the road at night, if at all. My only option is to turn on my high beams, but then I risk blinding incoming traffic. I consider this a significant safety risk. Through online research I have discovered that the problem is that the bowls BMW used to reflect the light from the bulbs are made of plastic and get burnt from the heat of the bulb. Due to this fact, I believe BMW should have a recall for the headlights of E46 cars. I do not think I should have to pay to fix something that is a factory defect.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA