1.7

2006 BMW 330 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 330:

2006 BMW 330 Owner Comments

Oct 022014

330

Coolant leaking from reservoir tank. A common issue among bmws- and is currently effecting my 330xi 2006. The expansion tank is faulty and wondering if the tank and hoses are tested to even withstand the "BMW brand" name coolant.

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 232013

330 6-cyl

White smoke coming though ac ducts. When taken to shop they said it was coolant leak in heater core. Replacement would cost me $3000-$4000.

- Union City, CA, USA

Apr 182013

330 6-cyl

I have a 2006 325I sedan with 55,856 miles on it. I took it in for a routine service on 4-18-2013. It has been maintained by only BMW dealerships in its lifetime with all required maintenance done on schedule. They called to notify me that upon inspection they had found the head bolt broken behind the oil filter housing, the oil filter housing gasket leaking and the drive belt tensioner leaking. I had not been experiencing any outward S+S of this problem. They quoted me $3400 to repair this. I was shocked that a car in such great condition would have such a problem at this mileage. I asked why this would happen and essentially was told it is unusual but does happen. They advised a repair in the future. I went home and researched this and found it has been a common problem in this model and that subsequently BMW has changed the type of bolt they use. So I thought I would call the customer service line to follow up on any assistance from BMW. Long story short they took the complaint but because I have a low mileage vehicle that has been outside of warranty for 3+ years they would offer no help. You know shame on BMW this is my 4th BMW and very likely my last due to this. This should be a recall, this should not be happening no matter how long it took to get to the 50,000 mile + range where this problem shows itself.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Aug 012011

330

My BMW 300 series wagon (2006) had a brake and emergency warning light turn on. There was also a smell of burning oil. My mechanic identified the problem as broken aluminum bolts on the cylinder. He said he personally sees this all the time on 2006 models, that BMW is aware, and that they redesigned the part for later years. Likewise, my BMW dealer is aware of it and a simple google search finds at least 1000 complaints posted at various sites on the web. Aluminum does not hold up in this setting and these bolts cost more than$1200 to repair. I am told by my mechanic that it usually happens after 60K miles which means most are off warranty. BMW is aware and should either do a courtesy repair or be forced to do the right thing by NHTSA.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jun 072011

330

The cylinder bolt broke and BMW is refusing to repair the broken bolt under an active warranty. BMW is aware that the cylinder bold on these models has been known to fail and is now being made out of a different material in newer models. I requested that BMW pay for the cost of this repair because we are aware of it being and issue and they refused to do so under an active extended coverage warranty. It is a part that should be on recall for models using this particular aluminum cylinder bolt. I am very frustrated to have paid $4,000+ for an extended warranty that does not cover a $4,260.50 repair. Peter pan BMW has been very helpful but BMW of North America and assurant who authorizes repairs has been unresponsive and denied repair.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Jan 112011

330

BMW is aware that the cylinder bolt on these models has been known to fail and are now being made out of a different material in newer models. We requested that BMW pay for the cost of this repair, because we know they are aware of it being an issue and they refused to do so. It is definitely a part that should be on recall for all models using this material in the cylinder head bold. Updated 04/21/11

- San Leandro, CA, USA