2012 BMW 335 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW 335:

2012 BMW 335 Owner Comments

Jul 312016

While in line in a drive thru the vehicle turned off suddenly losing all electrical power and power steering. Upon trying to start "charging malfunction" appeared on the information screen in with a red warning sign. Tried 2-3 times to turn over starter. When vehicle turned on it was time to move forward. When trying to exit drive thru drive way vehicle was very heavy and almost impossible to turn. Finally after several back and forth attempts vehicle was moved about 50 feet to a safe parking location.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Nov 142015

The contact owns a 2012 BMW 335I. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise emitting from the vehicle and suddenly it stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the vanos bolts were loose and fractured. The vehicle was not repaired due to it not being included in NHTSA campaign number 14V176000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and confirmed that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Jul 232015

Vanos bolt failure. 4 vanos bolt broken. Car stalled while driving. The car was driving on a city street while turning. No power at all. It is a 2011 328I.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Aug 082015

On Saturday 8/8/15, I was parking my BMW 335I car to get groceries, and while entering the parking spot, the engine began racing out of control. I hit the brakes hard, but the car would not stop. I tried to shift into neutral, but the shift control was locked in drive and would not move. Lastly I finally hit the stop engine button, and the car finally stopped, but not after I had bumped into the car in front of me in my parking space. As I was resting against the bumper of the car in front of me, I had been able to move the shifter after stopping the car's engine into park, and re-started the car. The engine idled at 7000 RPM, totally racing again. I turned the engine off and sat there for about two minutes. I turned the engine on again, and it finally idled normally at 800-1000 RPM, put it in reverse, and backed off the bumper of the car in front of me. I got out, and saw no damage thankfully, but was very afraid of this out of control car behavior that I experienced. I now know to hit the stop button if the brakes just don't work well enough if this unintended acceleration issue happens again. I am contacting my dealership to see if they are aware of this issue in the 335I, and see if they can effect a repair.

- Arlington, VA, USA

May 212014

335 6-cyl

My 2012 BMW 335I couple M sport package (automatic) engine stalls randomly (5 times since purchasing the car in November of 2013). As a result, the power steering fails and power brake assist also fails. Resulting in some scary situations indeed. This typically happens between 5-40 mph. Engine typically restarts after 10-15 min. The last time this has happened was on 5/21/14 at around 9am pst. I was stranded on ca highway 85. Vehicle has only 7K miles. No engine fault codes register when taken to dealership and they send me back telling me that the car is safe to drive. Here is a link to the video I captured after the last stall: BMW of North America does not acknowledge the problem (even though I have sent them this video) and keeps sending me back to the dealership which is unable to read any fault codes in the computer. In return, the dealership sends me back to BMW of North America. Endless loop with no solution. This video is made to document the evidence of this very hazardous issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA