2013 BMW 335 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW 335:

2013 BMW 335 Owner Comments

Dec 082015

While parking car turning wheels to left, car suddenly accelerated on it's own without any warning, causing car to jump over parking bumper, through concrete block wall and continued to Ram into private home, making home unsafe to enter. All this caused $14000 damage to the car, not including the cost of damage to the wall and building. BMW dealership will not look into the accelerator cables etc...says can't be an issue with this incident. This should be investigated further as safety of occupants / pedestrians and other vehicles could be in jeopardy! P.S. we have not driven the car yet since it has been at the BMW body shop since December 8 2015. Car is second owned by us. We bought car at 6K miles and now has 10K miles. Kind of scared of getting behind the wheel and driving the car.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Apr 202014

335 6-cyl

Driving the vehicle on a highway with normal speed limit. Vehicle started to sputter and drivetrain malfunction warning light came on. Vehicle was losing power and speed decreasing quickly in the middle of the highway. I did have a chance to pull over safely on the shoulder. Wife and children was scared and so was I. had the vehicle towed to the nearest BMW dealers/service station. Diagnostics so far was bad fuel. Online forum suggested otherwise. Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Ladson, SC, USA

Mar 042013

335 4-cyl

The car has displayed "drivetrain malfunction, drive moderately" twice now in less than one year of ownership. When this display has occurred, the car goes into "limp mode" and can only be driven at low speeds or with very sluggish acceleration. This is a safety hazard, as it becomes easy to be rear-ended by another driver when it slows substantially.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 082014

335 4-cyl

Second problem with drivetrain malfunction, first problem back in Nov 2013 bought the car in August 2013.

- Oakley, CA, USA

Nov 012013

335 4-cyl

My car started shaking vigorously, and a message was displayed (drivetrain malfunction).

- Oakley, CA, USA

Feb 192014

335 6-cyl

"limp mode" is a very well known issue affecting 2012-2014 BMW 335I models with the M sport package. After accelerating from a stop to 60-65 mph, and merging into traffic, I experienced limp mode. The car would not accelerate, the rpms would not rise above 2500 or fall below 2000. The oil temperature was approximately 200 degrees. During the sudden loss of acceleration and power, no matter how hard or far I pushed the accelerator, the car would not accelerate- the car completely lost all power and the ability to accelerate. As I was coasting, I tried pumping the gas and shifting gears (shiftable automatic) to no avail. There were no warning lights on the dashboard or other warning messages displayed. While traffic zoomed past me, I coasted for a good 30-60 seconds gradually slowing to about 15 mph. After roughly 60 seconds, I pushed the accelerator down again and the car bucked, lurched and jumped and the rpms began to rise. I was able to accelerate normally again though the temperature did rise to roughly 240. I made an appointment immediately to have the car checked by my local BMW dealer. They replaced the aux cooling fan and applied a software update as is the case with "limp mode". this is the same "fix" applied to countless other 335I owners which simply doesn't work. My dealer opened a puma case with BMW to resolve the issue. Standard operating procedure is to replace the fan and apply a software update the first time, replace the fan relay the second time and apply a software update the third time. None of these work!! check F30 post, bimmer world and bimmer fest forums. Dealer was great, but I wanted them I will fight for a buyback if it happens again. Had this happened a few seconds later, while pulling out in front of cars traveling 65+ mph, I would not be here now. Recall this piece of crap!! when my lease is up or if I can get out of it, I will. Not safe.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Jun 122013

Rattle noise coming from engine compartment or inside of dash upon acceleration (2000-2500rpm) on cold starts. Can change noise based upon acceleration. Goes away after motor warms up (usually 15 minutes) so getting diagnosed at the dealer is difficult. Repeatedly get "can't reproduce problem" back from the dealer. Widespread problem across multiple platforms (2012+ 3 series, 2014+ 4 series).

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Nov 022013

Transmission problem resulting in violent shuddering of the vehicle body and abrupt engine stops resulting in dangerous driving conditions. Fluctuations in the tachometer when the car attempted to stop and the car would automatically change gears to neutral or park.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Feb 252013

335 6-cyl

Heard noise and the car starting shaking and then car died on me and service on middle of nowhere and I starts the car back but it got stalled many times and it was shifting the gear to neutral it was a bad experience I could had an accident brand new BMW.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jan 272013

335 4-cyl

The subject vehicle accelerated unexpectedly when the car was slowly turning into a parking space in a parking lot. The driver had to suddenly press very hard on the brake in order to stop the car.

- Mclean, VA, USA