2001 BMW 525 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 BMW 525:

2001 BMW 525 Owner Comments

Dec 192001

525

I purchased my used 2001 BMW E39 525I two yrs ago with many issues as expected when I learned it was a "lease", prior owner never maintained the vehicle. I began to experience for months "airbag" light on. Paid for months having it reset, then I finally I started a search to locate a "recall for airbag module" for this model. I called BMW North America immediately that I'm the new owner (they had no record of who was the owner) I was given direction how to handle, vehicle taken to a service center, repaired made. Two months late, airbag light on again, paid for another diagnostic, this time to be told something different, "stage 1-resistance too high". what is that" I was told the airbag and it's components were tested, did not find anything defected, code reset, all ok but was told if airbag light come again, strong possibility "driver wheel airbag" will need to be replace which is unusual. The next day, the light back on. Back to the svc center, told it needs to be replaced, if not, the chances are the airbag may not deploy. I'm quite upset. That evening of 12/19/09, I started searching, came across several blogging sites about BMW airbag. I came across 18 owners with the same make, model and yr having the same issue. I immediately called BMW North America with my finding, there is no recall on and nothing they can do unless "safety" is involved. I emphasized my concern of what I have read and what I have been told by the svc tech about not deploying. I need your assistance, what are the steps for NHTSA to conduct a investigation on this? I contacted a rep with BMW North America again 12/28/09, anything you can do, reply, "no". I feel this is a serious matter. I asking your assistance if there are any records in your organization of owners with the identical model, make and yr that have been involved in a mva and their driver wheel airbag did not deploy properly and maybe were not aware of a "fault issue" in this model"

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Apr 152007

525 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 BMW 525. While driving, the contact heard a noise. The vehicle then suddenly lost control, veered to the right, and crashed into a channelizer barrel at highway speeds. Although, he struck the barrel head on the air bag failed to deploy. The current and failure mileages were 50,000.

- Glen Holland, VA, USA