2004 BMW 525 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 525:

2004 BMW 525 Owner Comments

Mar 282011

Tranmission failure on this car. Had transmission rebuilt to no avail (over $3000). Wound up getting our $$ back, thank goodness. Apparently, in reading all the info online, the 2004 525I transmission failures is very common. Only remedy is a full-blown BMW replacement with the clutch already set.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Feb 042004

The contact owns 2004 BMW 525I. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the transmission would not shift and when it did shift it lunged forward. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred several times before but he was unable to be duplicate it. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the mechatronic sleeve was leaking transmission fluid and as a result it needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Oct 132011

525 6-cyl

I own a 2004 BMW 525I with 119,000 miles on the engine. I experienced my car making a thump sound and then the I would lose acceleration. I called the mechanic and they could not find the problem because it did not show the dash errors. This had been going on for 3 weeks and then the mechanic told me my transmission needed replacing. I am disappointed that this is a common problem and nothing is being done about this. I will never buy a BMW again.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA