2005 BMW 525 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 BMW 525:

2005 BMW 525 Owner Comments

Apr 112015

On April 11, 2015. I was taking my vehicle to my mechanic to get it serviced after sitting all winter. As I was driving I noticed smoke coming from the rear of the vehicle. I pulled over, could not locate the source. I continued to my mechanic. Once there we opened the trunk, we noticed and smelled something burning. We took out the tire and noticed water in the wheel well, which made an electrical component sparking, smoking and on fire. I had the vehicle towed to BMW. They stated the water damaged the micro power module. BMW paid for the repairs, and relocated the module away from the wheel well. I feel where it was placed previous was very dangerous. If I had any combustible item in my trunk my BMW would have fully caught fire. BMW should recall all vehicle and relocation any electrical components that can be damaged by water, possibly catch fire. This is very dangerous

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 082014

I popped the hood and removed the enclosure cap for the passenger side daytime running lamp and discovered that the wiring on the harness to the light bulb was exposed. The covering around the wiring had disintegrated in several places. I attempted to remove the light bulb and received an electric shock. I then put the light bulb and harness back inside the lamp housing and put the cap back on. I took the vehicle to an global imports, authorized BMW dealer in atlanta, ga on March 11, 2014. I was told that the condition of the harness was a potential fire hazard. I filed a complaint with BMW of North America the same day. I was informed that even though it was a manufacturing defect, they wouldn't replace the part because there wasn't a recall.

- Washington, DC, USA