2.3

2007 BMW 525 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 525:

2007 BMW 525 Owner Comments

Aug 132016

525

The steering wheel locked and the car will not start. Can not get it out of the steering wheel lock mode that shows in the instrument cluster. I have searched the internet and find that this has and is a problem for many people who own BMW automobiles, which I consider to be very dangerous. Not to mention inconvenient since you can not start or drive the car. It happened out of the blue for no known reason. I am pretty darn upset about this! luckily I had just put the car into the garage out of the driveway. I do not know what might of happened if I was on a public street or away from my home...perhaps in a parking lot. I would be stranded since the car can not start or be driven if the wheel is locked.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Jul 292016

525

My steering wheel is locked and car cannot start.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Aug 152015

525

Vehicle is displaying a steering wheel lock. A red warning light with a lock symbol (upper right hand corner) is on the panel display. This is very alarming and distracting while operating the vehicle, because you don't know if it will impact the actual steering. So far the vehicle does start up and runs normally, but the indicator is constantly on. I reviewed some of the online forums and some suggest that this fault could cause the vehicle to not start. My daughter is the one normally driving this vehicle. We are going to assist to get her another vehicle, since I don't know if this one is safe.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

May 292015

525

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 525xi. While the vehicle was being serviced at the dealer, the ignition was turned to the on position but the engine did not start. The dealer diagnosed that the steering wheel lock mechanism failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 73,000. Updated 8/10/15

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Dec 112014

525

I have a BMW 525I 2007, which was a certified pre-owned vehicle bought from East bay BMW. Around 71,000 miles, the 'steering wheel lock malfunction' light came on (red color). The car is drivable, and works fine, however, the light is still on with a warning that the engine may not start. I asked BMW of mountain view for a quote. They say that the elv lock (steering wheel lock) and screws need to be replaced for $1521.49!! that's insane. I see many many other BMW owners complaint about the same issue. This should be a recall. Many owners say that simply reprogramming the cas (car access system) module fixed the problem. BMW of mountain view said that they will charge $200 for the reprogramming, with no guarantee that it will fix the issue. If after replacing the elv locks + screws another reprogramming needs to be done, that would be another $200 for programming. This isn't right. BMW please own up to your defects.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Oct 132014

525 6-cyl

I got in my car to go home from work, and a red warning light came on saying "steering wheel lock malfunction" I have read that this is a problem with most BMW 3 series and some 5. I had the battery changed one year ago for $800, so it can't be the battery. I believe this is an issue BMW knows about, but will not issue the proper recall.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Sep 182014

525 6-cyl

2007 BMW 525xi model not limited to or exclusive of this make/model but has a known issue where a red light indicator appears on the dash signaling an electronic steering column fault has occurred, do not turn the engine off or the car may not be able to be started again, contact your local BMW service department. This has yet to make it on the NHTSA database as an official recall but I have researched and made note of several hundred customers experiencing this same issue on their BMW. This could leave you in a dangerous position if you needed to leave an area and were unable to start your car and it could leave you stranded as it could cause a no start situation.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Aug 082014

525 6-cyl

On several occasions my vehicle failed to start because the steering wheel was locked according to the indicator on the dash. The indicator had the letters elv with a picture of a steering wheel with a lock. It stated that for safety reasons the vehicle will not start and in order to start it recommended that I move the steering wheel in order to start the vehicle. The warning was in yellow and several times in red. I'm afraid to drive the vehicle while running errands for the fear that I will become stranded if the vehicle won't start.

- Spring Hill , FL, USA

Apr 242013

525

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 525xi. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed. The contact was unable to start the vehicle. The power steering warning light was also illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer; however the cause of the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Riverdale, NY, USA

Aug 262012

525

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 525I. The contact stated that at engine startup, the steering lock warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who confirmed that the steering column and sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 76,750 and the current mileage was 76,780.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

May 172012

525 6-cyl

Red light on dashboard showing a steering wheel with a lock. First time this happened. Took car to BMW and have to pay over $100 for a diagnostic test and to be told I'll probably need new steering wheel column. Car has been well maintained. Need a recall on this problem as others have this same problem.

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Apr 132012

525 6-cyl

The steering light came on in my car stating the wheel was locked and I would not be able to drive my car. My car is still drivable. I took my car to BMW and was charged $145 for a diagnostic test to be told I need a elv steeling lock which is going to cost me $880. I bought this care 2 years ago 2 carmaxx.

- Capital Heights, MD, USA

Jan 172012

525

Electric steering wheel lock: A red light showing a steering wheel with a lock shows up on the dashboard when trying to start the car. It starts the first time and then does not start on subsequent tries. The vehicle had to be towed to BMW and the repairs involve replacement of the steering wheel column. This looks like a minor sensor fault requiring the replacement of a major mechanical component due to bad design. I believe that BMW should recall and replace the bad sensors this issue has been widely reported by other owners of bmws around the same model year www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?T=410153

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jul 052011

525 6-cyl

2007 BMW 525xi model not limited to or exclusive of this make/model but has a known issue where a red light indicator appears on the dash signaling an electronic steering column fault has occurred, do not turn the engine off or the car may not be able to be started again, contact your local BMW service department. This has yet to make it on the NHTSA database as an official recall but I have researched and made note of several hundred customers experiencing this same issue on their BMW. This car is out of the 3 year service warranty and this is not covered or a recalled item as of today. I am filing my complaint against BMW since it will be costing me over $1000 to have this addressed/fixed when in fact it is abnormal behavior by BMW engineering/manufacturing and is a defect in their design. It should be recalled and fixed for all BMW customers covering the span of years in which the commonality has occurred 2006-2007 325, 525 models.

- Covington, KY, USA

Sep 172010

525

2007 BMW 525 has a message indicating the steering lock is activated. Message will not go away. BMW indicates this is a common problem but is not covered out of warranty.

- Jackson, TN, USA