2008 BMW 528 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 528:

2008 BMW 528 Owner Comments

Jul 272016

528 6-cyl

Strong gasoline odor was detected in our garage. Upon checking our classic automobile and ruling it out we then realized it was our 2008 BMW 528I with 61,800 original miles on it. The odor was both inside and outside the car. We had to remove the car from the garage where it normally parks near a gas water heater so as to avoid possible ignition within the confines of our garage. I then searched on the inter net : "why does my 2008 BMW 528I smell like gas all the sudden", to my surprise there were hundreds of posts within bimmer forums and otherwise regarding this very issue. What gave me pause is that in my situation as with many others, an engine and or emissions fault code was never sent to the main screen for the operator to identify and take it in for repairs. I called BMW North America and gave this information and asked if any recalls or bulletins were recorded and was told there weren't. I then called my local BMW dealership here in tucson, AZ. And was told by the service advisor there was in fact a note regarding the char coal canister being unable to process the gasoline fumes when outside temperatures reach or exceed 100-101 degrees farenheit. It has been in that range here now for the past few weeks. I now as of 28 July 2016 have my car in the BMW shop for repairs and what they found was the fuel sending unit is leaking through the top of the tank and a puddle of gas has formed. Again why no engine codes when a sealed system faults and leaks and a known issue like the char coal canister exists. My hope is that this Agency investigates and issues a recall notice. I am going to be charged $700+ for an issue which is widely known of across the web and which my dealership found not all that unusual. Thank you.

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Mar 102016

There is a very strong fuel odor coming from the rear driver side of vehicle at all times that I notice upon opening the driver door.

- Albany, GA, USA

Mar 062016

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 528I. The contact stated that the vehicle vibrated severely after shifting into drive and the power train was not operational. After the third attempt to operate the vehicle, it shifted into neutral independently and the "service vehicle, no power train was detected" warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000.

- Kendall Park, NJ, USA

Sep 222015

Car gas haven't been as usual took car for oil chang rotation of tires. Discovered gas leakage. Looking at possible fuel line or pump.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Aug 242015

Hello I'm reporting in regards to an issue with my vehicle. For approximately the past month I have an issue with a gasoline smell coming from my vehicle. I first thought I was over filling so changed the amount of gas I put in the vehicle. That still didn't stop the smell from coming back. So I decided to schedule my vehicle for an appointment. As a result the service advisor stated they smelled it but was not able to find a leak. I drove home without a strong smell but by the time I arrived to the destination it was evident again. I contacted a few other BMW authorized dealers and talked with service advisors and they said they never heard of such issue/concern. At one dealership the advisor hung up on me while I was explaining it. I read a few articles where other BMW owners experienced the same issue, some who cars caught on fire. This made me believe there is a defect that causes this issue. So I contacted BMW of North America and was told by joey there is nothing they could do. I explained to him that I can't keep paying diagnostic fees for them to determine nothing is wrong. I had it escalated and was told by kayla that I need to take it to a dealership. Never was I offered to have it checked for free. I understand I'm out of warranty but to be responsible for paying for diagnostic procedures without being told an issue exists is robbery. I just want my car concern resolved before anyone is injured or harmed as a result of the issue.

- Winnsboro, SC, USA

Jul 162014

Gasoline is leaking from the fuel level sensor, which is accessed beneath the left rear passenger seat, due to a crack in the plastic housing. My independent mechanic who specializes in BMW repair, tells me this is a common problem with BMW and Mercedes vehicles.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 142014

528 6-cyl

All 6 fuel injectors failed. Car lost power while driving on 3 separate occasions.

- Fanwood, NJ, USA