2011 BMW 528 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW 528:

2011 BMW 528 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 012016

Check engine light on rough running, hesitation and jerking when accelerating.

- Foothill Ranch, CA, USA

Apr 112014

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 528I. While driving at low speeds, the accelerator pedal was depressed and failed to respond. When applying the brakes and reducing speed, the vehicle jerked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed, but a failure was not found. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Apr 102016

Takata recall my 528I BMW in stop and go traffic has a very hard jerk when slowing down feeling as if im beeeing hit from behind I noticed it when I first got my car it would do it intermidetly. This is very dangerous it also has a throttle response delay which is also dangerous when going into traffic. A recall is needed for this fix it seems to be a software issue to me because when turning off the car and restarting it hours later the problem stops but comes back weeks later. I have seen many complaints dating back to 2011 of this problem where is the recall?

- Decatur, GA, USA

Nov 022015

Takata recall vehicle jerks forward when slowing down to a complete stop, most noticeable during stop/go traffic driving with air cond

- West Covina, CA, USA

Nov 092015

My vehicle loss power while driving babies to daycare. The care started shaking and would not gain power in cold weather. The vehicle took about 20 minutes to warm then the indicator light went of and no problems. The indicator light was a yellow engine light followed by drivetrain malfunction. The car jerks now. I have done research on this issue and I see several people with the same issue to who. Has this model car. Also the parts are on back order in germany meaning there are aware of issue. This needs a major recall because in some of the cases the car cut off while driving on the road in traffic. I parked my car until some one could say what the actual case is and fix. I see most people have taking there vehicles in more than 3 times with no resolution. I also research drivetrain in BMW and another model was recalled and fixed. So I'm thinking all models need to be recalled.

- Mcleansville, NC, USA

May 122015

When driving and stoping at a stop sing and accelerate the car lag to move. Also when accelerateing at low speed the car jerks.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Jun 102014

528 6-cyl

This was the 1st out of 3 times my vehicle stalled while driving. I was very nervous, scared and upset being that I had told BMW that the coolant was constantly showing me low coolant light along with possible engine damage. But they would always try to erasure me the problem was fixed.I felt that all the gentleman at carmax chuckled quietly to themselves as I stood before them tirelessly requesting that the service manager look at the car to prove that I'm not a joke and just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I don't know how cars work.

- Upland, CA, USA

Dec 292014

528 6-cyl

No acceleration to very dangerous fast acceleration without any sign. Details: Stepped on gas softly, slowly accelerated, very slow. Kept same pressure, suddenly, the car rushed... fortunately, no car ahead of me. Could not accelerate at all! same trip as above. After red light, stepped on gas pedal, RPM reached 4K+ RPM quickly, speed kept below 15mph, engine very loud. Turned off car. Restart, back to normal with "very slow" response from gas pedal. Managed to get back home.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Jun 182014

528 6-cyl

This vehicle has a hesitation of throttle acceleration from idle and shifting between gears.presents a real safety issue from idle position to acceleration. A 1-2 second delay consistently happens. The BMW dealer reported to me that they are aware of this situation but do not have a solution yet. If enough reports of this incident were handed in then it may necessitate a cure from BMW. Apparently not enough squeaky wheels per say for BMW to act.hopefully this along with hundreds of these complaints already on your web site about this very same issue is enough to get BMW to act on this safety issue.

- Harrison Twp., MI, USA

Jul 112011

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 528I. The contact stated that the accelerator pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The vehicle was restarted but the failure persisted. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on several occasions where the failure was unable to be replicated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V176000 (engine and engine cooling) and the part was not available for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not able to provide an estimated timeframe for when the part would become available for the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 6,000.

- Calabasas, CA, USA

Nov 182013

528 6-cyl

When I press the accelerator to start driving, there is a very distinct and uncomfortable lag of about 2 seconds. This happened when I was making a right turn into a two-way divided road from a residential complex. The visibility to the left is limited to about 200 ft due to a curve in the divided road. When I start moving from the stop sign, I have to accelerate quickly in order to avoid any traffic that may be coming at speed behind me. This accelerator lag makes for a safety concern. I imagine this can also be a safety concern during merging into freeways with very short on ramps and the ramp meter on.

- Foothill Ranch, CA, USA

Jun 172013

528 6-cyl

As my car was stopped at a red light, I felt a quick jerk forward and thought I was rear-ended. I looked back and there wasn't a car. As I pulled into my parking space, I was switching from reverse to drive, the car jerked again, like I was being rear ended. It felt like the car was skipping a gear (I drive an automatic). Then as I was leaving the parking lot, I pushed the gas down and for almost 2 seconds the car did nothing, then jerked hard forward and started to drive.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 092011

528 6-cyl

The vehicle has a significant delay in acceleration that occurs primarily after (I) the vehicle has slowed down to a speed between 18 mph and 24 mph; (II) a full stop (although it is intermittent following a full stop) and (III) sudden surges of acceleration. The acceleration delay is most noticeable when moderate acceleration is desired. The pedal can be depressed nearly fully with no noticeable acceleration for a short period. After the delay the car will accelerate, often in a surge. From a full stop acceleration is often a jerky affair. The acceleration issues significantly compromise safety due to the unexpected vehicle performance, both with the acceleration delay and the sudden surge of acceleration that occurs after about a second to a second and a half after the accelerator has been depressed. Often times when merging into traffic the vehicle has been nearly hit as a result of the acceleration delay. Likewise, it is nearly impossible to make a left turn until a road is empty as I have no idea how long it will take to cross opposing traffic.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Sep 012011

528 6-cyl

After purchasing my 2011 528I I noticed the car would not accelerate smoothly from a stop or after slowing down to make a turn, it actually felt like it was applying the breaks until you applied close to half throttle then it would lurch forward. The car was taken to dealer and received a patch and programming which made no change. To top all of this off it picks and chooses when its going to drive "normal" so you don't know what to expect....this is unsafe...... on the freeway it wont downshift to pass unless pressed to the floor, the motor just lugs and wont give you the expected response causing cars and trucks alike to be cut off because you didn't accelerate as expected.... I cant believe BMW is allowing its flagship model the 5 series to have these issues and not address them.... the car pulled to the right as described by many, I took it to the dealer and left at the end of the day with a $300 alignment"???? I'm concerned with getting stuck with a lemon $50,000 car that I wont be able to sell, atleast offer a buy back program??" help!!!!!

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Nov 242012

528 6-cyl

From a complete stop, when accelerating, there is a lag or hesitation before the car takes off. When it does take off, there is a hard jerk. It makes it very hard to gauge the distance between you and other cars when it lunges very quickly. If you're pulling into traffic, as in my case, it can be very dangerous. Also if it's wet, and this happens, it could cause you to lose control of your vehicle. This needs to be investigated, as it can be a major safety issue.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Nov 242012

528 6-cyl

When accelerating from a complete stop or driving at higher speeds (50-80mph), the vehicle consistently pulls to the right. I've had alignments performed, but the problem persists. The dealer said it's within specification, and they couldn't do anything else about it. After more persistence, my service adviser came back with: The stock camber settings on BMW's are pretty aggressive, and they can't adjust the camber anymore on my car to resolve the pulling to the right issue. He said there is another BMW suspension part (control arm) they can use that will allow them to adjust the camber more, which will resolve the pull issue. The only problem is that BMW won't cover the cost to have the part replaced, which is just under $1100, and I'll have to pay for it out of pocket. I advised my adviser that was not acceptable, which prompted him to contact the service manager. The service manager said they would cover the cost of the alignment (~$185), but I would have to pay the remaining amount (~$900). After questioning the dealer further, they contacted the regional manager on my behalf. The regional manager said because the mileage on my car was so high (~40K), he would only cover the cost of the part, not labor. While I appreciate the dealer's efforts, I don't feel I should have to pay anything out of pocket to fix my car so it will drive in a straight line without pulling, especially when my car is still within manufacturer's warranty. Bottom line is that BMW now has a fix for a known issue which presents a safety hazard. BMW should fix the problem at no expense to the customer, since this has been a documented issue for several customers starting at 10 miles, after purchasing new.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Sep 302010

The car has acceleration issues when not only adding additional speed while driving but when beginning to accelerate from a stop sign or traffic light, as well. The car hesitates when accelerating and there is often a lag in accelerating while the car is stopped or at a low speed, creating a safety concern. Not only is there a safety issue, but it is not how a $51,000 luxury sedan should drive -- it is rather rough and annoying to drive the car. The car also idles at an extremely low speed or no speed when the car is started after sitting for a longer period of time. In this case, I have to apply a decent amount of pressure on the accelerator even to back out of my garage.

- Paradise Valley, AZ, USA

Aug 192011

528 6-cyl

Car does not respond to tip-in of accelerator from standstill. As you press harder to get intended acceleration, car lurches forward dramatically and unsafely. Vehicle is extremely difficult to drive smoothly, especially in close, stop-and-go traffic. Contacted local dealership (the BMW store in cincinnati, oh) on 9/5/11 and they are aware of the problem, but BMW is currently only providing a software patch for the 535 model. I was advised to keep driving the vehicle until BMW issues a software patch for the 528, but the dealer was not aware of any upcoming fix. I am concerned that BMW has fixed the problem for the 535, but not the 528, and that a potential fix is uncertain. This is a major driveability and safety issue.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 202011

528 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 528I. While stopped at a stop sign the contact depressed the accelerator, and the vehicle would not accelerate. The contact continued applying pressure to the accelerator pedal until the vehicle accelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50. Dealer rep stated that this is a known issue, but no fix has been published by BMW. Updated 09/29/2011

- Arlington , TX, USA

Aug 022011

528 6-cyl

BMW 528I throttle lag/tip in/delayed acceleration from a standing stop;constant problem;have been told by BMW dealer that this is is very annoying and am fearful it could lead to safety issue.this is a brand new 2011 model with less than 500 miles on odometer.

- Danville, VA, USA