2012 BMW 528 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW 528:

2012 BMW 528 Owner Comments

Apr 142016

Vehicle bought in July 2014 with ~24K miles; still under factory warranty. Maintenance maintained. 9-12 months later, a "drive train malfunction" light came on. I had just left the dealership so I called them and they told me to bring it back immediately; I did. Many tests later, was told my "motherboard died" (dme unit); after a month in the shop...repaired. Now, 4/2016, less than 60K and fresh out of warranty...I was driving home with my son on the interstate, about to get off of my exit and another "drive train malfunction and low engine pressure" light comes on and then all of a sudden my car stopped on the 4 lane off-ramp. After waiting for an hour for the tow truck to arrive and trying to put my car into neutral and about 30 min with the tow truck driver trying to put the car in neutral, I called the BMW dealership and I found out that because my car is all electric it cannot be put into neutral; a week at the dealership and still there as I type┐diagnosis: Timing chain broke into the engine and now the car needs a new engine which I was quoted to be $21,000. The car is only 4 years old!!!!! needless to say, it was by the grace of god that my son and I were not injured or killed when the engine just shut off in the middle of traffic. And on top of that, it is absurd that the consumer cannot manually put this vehicle into neutral to move it out of harm's way if it's possible to do so. The only way to put the car in neutral when inoperable is to take it to the dealership. Unsat! and for a car company that is supposed to have a great reputation and high standards, it's absurd that a new engine is needed for a car that is barely 4 years old. I have seen the same issues with other BMW owners all over the internet. Love BMW and have owned 3 of them and it's unfortunate that this one will be my last because I do not feel safe in this vehicle anymore.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Oct 172013

This 2012 BMW 528, while standing still on a city street, was struck from behind on the left rear corner and the active headrest restraint system was activated striking the driver in the head and causing a traumatic brain injury.

- La Jolla, CA, USA

Nov 162015

My BMW 528I 2012 I bought used in April 2015. In November 2015 my check engine light came on. Then it went away, but a week later it came on and another light saying the coolant was low. I took it to be topped off that did not work. My car went from yellow zone to red severe when driving home with my kids on a busy street. My car begin to overheat. I took it home immediately. The car loss all power it would not drive faster than 25 mph. I knew what ever it was going to be costly. My car sat for a month until I thought I had enough money to fix. Low and behold I took it to a BMW dealership there have been one campaign for thermostat and one recall on the oil filter housing. There has seem to be an issue I was unaware about. The dealer is saying because of the coolant mixing with oil and the car overheating there is possible engine damage. 20K worth of damages. I hoping BMW helps because my car is at the dealer still because of this horrible malfunction. I have attached a thread I found online that BMW sent out to all the consumers in July 2015 that I was not made aware of.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA