1.8

2003 BMW 530 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 BMW 530:

2003 BMW 530 Owner Comments

Jan 142015

530 6-cyl

At 96,000 miles the check light illuminated. Diagnosis was P0741 (BMW code 48) which is a fault with the torque converter clutch (tcc). This failure until corrected results in lower fuel mileage, and a guaranteed failure to pass the emissions test during state mandated vehicle inspections. Add to this that continued use of the vehicle will likely result in transmission damage since the tcc lockup clutch is slipping resulting in debris building up in the fluid. This fault is due to a defective torque converter clutch seal that BMW has a hidden service bulletin on. See si 24 03 06 dated February 2008. Replacement of the torque converter is expensive. BMW dealer quoted a bit more than $3000 for the replacement. I've since determined though a BMW forum that this issue is widespread with a large number of failures taking place. I was told by the dealer that the seal in question has not been updated and that failure of the seal will likely take place again in the future.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Jun 052012

530 6-cyl

I was driving my 2003 BMW 530I, while I was driving I used the volume control on the steering wheel to turn the radio down, after depressing the button immediately I smelled and recognized there was smoke coming from the steering wheel. I pulled over, and turned the car off. After several minutes I turned the ignition and proceeded to inspect the car. The volume controls did not work any more along with the horn does not blow anymore. Actually when I depress the horn it makes the steering wheel rise up and down. The airbag light flickers off and on. My radio works sporadically. I called BMW of North America and asked about any recalls on this vehicle after seeing a posting online about airbag malfunctioning. This seemed to fit my situation however the gentlemen who took my called said there was no recalls on this model..... this was disappointing and my problems arises more and more after this. I get a transmission failsafe warning almost all of the time because the car seems like it wants to cut off while driving at times. My brake lights flicker off and on at times and then stays on while driving. I got a warning ticket from an police officer. He said it is a safety hazard. My headlights flicker off and on at times while in operation. I get a engine failsafe warning at times and the car goes into limp mode.......

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 272014

530 6-cyl

Yesterday Wednesday August 27th 2014 my son came home after school (5 min drive) there was no signs of anything different during driving. He went inside our house less then 1 minute after turning off car and parking car and was in the house his car alarm went off. He went outside to see what was wrong with his car and noticed smoke coming from under hood of car. Then fire engulfed the engine department. Called 911 and fire department came out to stop the fire. They broke wind shield to get to engine and cut up hood to open hood. Fire inspector came out and is filing report.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Dec 182012

530 8-cyl

I was driving appx 40mph while on a local road slightly uphill, engine shut off without warning, lost power steering and brake assist. Luckily no cars around me so I was able to barely roll over to the roadside. Car would not start again, was towed to dealership. Replaced ECU for a total cost of $2K.

- Greenwich, CT, USA