2004 BMW 530 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 530:

2004 BMW 530 Owner Comments

Oct 302012

Subject: 2004 BMW 535I on October 30,2012 just after hurricane sandy hit the East coast of New Jersey, I had occasion to use my 535I. While driving I noticed various warning and fault lights flashing on the control panel, loss of power and the cabin began filling with smoke. With great difficulty, I managed to pull across several lanes to the side of the multi-lane highway I was on (route 42N). Upon inspection I found 6-8 inches of water in the trunk wheel well. Under the spare tire I observed a burning and smoking msm power module. I subsequently brought the car to my local BMW dealer in turnersville, NJ. The dealer refused any liability or fault for the $3000 repair which included replacing and relocating the msm power module, replacing the radio system, cleaning water stains from the hood liner and trying to alleviate the smoke odor. I came to find out there was a service bulletin to relocate the msm power module higher in the trunk from its original position at the bottom of the wheel well. The dealer lied and told me water has leaked into the trunk via loose trunk rivets. I later determined the water entered the trunk following clogged sunroof drains. The dealer did not deny that could have happened but refused to cover the damages. BMW should be sued as I've determined this issue is not atypical and could lead to a disaster. Alan gofberg 609 221-4122

- Sewell, NJ, USA

Apr 012015

Battery cable/terminal melted. Car would not start on several occasions. After sitting...then car would start. Random start. Also, radio would come on all by itself. Call has just over 100K miles (101,200). Also codes received for cam shaft and air pump which had to be replaced.

- Crestwood, IL, USA

Nov 152008

530 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 530I. The contact noticed that the air bag warning light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the technician stated that the seat mat would have to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 08V384000 (air bags:frontal) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000. Updated 08-16-12 updated 08/16/2012

- San Francisco, CA, USA