2.3

2004 BMW 530 lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 530:

2004 BMW 530 Owner Comments

May 312013

530 6-cyl

I had a bulb failure warning illuminate on the dash. I bought the parking light bulb, went to replace it, and found all of the wiring inside of the headlight housing crumbling to bits. There were literally bare wires crossing on top of one another, which is clearly a fire hazard. When I asked my BMW dealer about this, they said it is a common problem, is not covered under warranty, and I have to buy new headlights. I had never heard of internal headlight wiring being considered a wear item, but BMW says otherwise. I have a 30 year old car with all of its wiring intact; this BMW had this problem before it had hit 10 years old. I spent approximately $2000 for new headlights. Clearly this is a major design flaw that the manufacturer should be responsible for, as it presents a clear fire hazard. I do know of one person who experienced a vehicle fire due to this defect in a '05 525I.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Nov 172011

530 6-cyl

Warning notice on "I drive" system that there was an emergency with the lighting system and the car should be stopped immediately. Directional signals no longer worked, emergency flashers were inoperative and headlights not operating properly. Brought car to dealer the next day and the problem was corrected with an update to the "I drive" software leading me to believe that BMW is aware of this very serious safety issue but has chosen to ignore it until owners experience the problem and then the owner has to pay for the update to correct the software glitch. My cost was $320.92.

- Bogart, GA, USA

Oct 052004

530 6-cyl

My wife started the car and the headlights and hazard lights began flashing and turn signals did not work. Shut off and restarted the car multiple times with same effect. Drove car to BMW dealer. Dealer technician saw same results. He disconnected battery, restarted car, rebooting the I-drive computer, and could not recreate problem.

- Aurora, IL, USA