2004 BMW 530 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 530:

2004 BMW 530 Owner Comments

Jan 052016

Restrain system error message in my radio screen also air bag light came on, this message came on sudendly for no reason, car never envolved in a accident,

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 192015

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 530I. While operating the vehicle, the air bag sensor light and the seat belt sensor light would illuminate along with a message indicating that the front passenger seat restraint system was faulty. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 108,800.

- Falls Church , VA, USA

Mar 282014

My 2004 BMW 530I has both the seatbelt and airbag light on display at all times on my dashboard. These lights on are caused by a faulty front passenger seat occupant detection mat which BMW has an extended warranty on. After dropping my car to the BMW dealership to get this repaired, I was informed my extended warranty expired roughly 2 months prior and I cannot have this work performed under warranty. They charged me $140 for the diagnostics and said I would have to pay $1050 out of pocket to get repaired. I immediately reached out to BMW of North America and informed them of my situation as this occurred while my vehicle was still under warranty. I was hoping they could fix my car in good faith as this is a known issue or even provide me with a discounted repair. Unfortunately two months went by with no response. When I reached out again they said no this is not their headache and I am responsible for all costs and repairs related to this. This is a serious malfunction which I am surprised is not considered a recall. In the safety recall notice it specifically states if both warning lamps are illuminated simultaneously, BMW recommends not to use the front passenger seat until the vehicle has been serviced. Also, the safety recall notice says that the front passenger airbags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system will not be possible. Obviously this is a huge safety issue which BMW needs to address. An extended warranty on such a sensitive matter is not sufficient and a recall should be issued.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Mar 182014

530 6-cyl

The following message came on the screen of the idrive of the car when my 76 year old mother was placed in the passenger seat after returning to the parking lot after her doctor visit: "passenger restraint system malfunction". it has been on since.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Dec 202013

This an update of NHTSA id number: 10557262. I took my car into the dealer it was confirmed that my car did have a faulty front passenger seat sensor mat that was covered by recall for some cars my model year but not mine. What was upsetting is the dealer informed me that this part was replaced in 2007. The recalled was issued in 2008 but did not include my VIN. Now, the sensor mat is bad again...yet my VIN does not have the same recall problem? I understand BMW na could care less about this cost and after owning 4 BMW(s) this may be my last. I spoke to BMW on the phone...and I might as well been talking to my local Ford dealer. They offered no help with cost or service...for an air-bag malfunction. If they do not care about my passenger's life.....I do care enough to let them know how upset I am with them.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Dec 202013

530 6-cyl

I am afraid to have anyone sit in my car because the airbag might not work! I work with the united methodist church and I often Transport children. BMW issued the below recall but they did not include my VIN...but I am having the same issue. This is a safety issue!!!!! --------------------------------- statement on voluntary recall involving front passenger seat sensor mat on U.S.a. model bmws - August 13, 2008 today, BMW announced a voluntary recall regarding the front passenger air bag seat sensor mat involving approximately 200,000 model year 2004-06 vehicles. Affected are certain model year 2006 3-series, model year 2004-06 5-series, and model year 2004-06 X3 vehicles, depending upon seat type. BMW has found that the sensor mat may become damaged during vehicle usage depending upon the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit. BMW will begin sending customer letters in late September 2008. Affected owners may continue to drive their vehicles; however, customers should contact their BMW center if the air bag warning lamp, and the passenger air bag ''on-off'' lamp are illuminated simultaneously. In this situation, BMW recommends customers not to use the front passenger seat and have the vehicle serviced immediately. At the present time, we are unaware of any accidents or injuries as a result of this issue.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Dec 122013

530 6-cyl

Upon starting the vehicle the air bag and seat belt indicator lamp illuminated and the computer indicated a fault in the air bag system.

- York, SC, USA

Apr 142012

530 6-cyl

My car has the passenger restraint system malfunction message on the navigation screen and also the seatbelt light and the airbag light are illuminated on the dashboard. There is a recall for seat occupancy sensor below and as you can see my car falls within the criteria as the cars affected by the recall but a visit to my local BMW dealer revealed that there was no active recalls under my VIN number. This is an obvious safety issue as airbags will not deploy and the risk of being seriously hurt or killed. This is something that BMW should replace in my car under the recall as it has the same malfunctioning part such as the cars listed below. Recall id # 57362 - air bags:frontal recall date Aug 05, 2008 recall date: Aug 05, 2008 model affected: 2006 BMW 3-series summary: BMW is recalling 200,000 my 2006 3 series sport seat, my 2004-2006 5 series standard and sport seat, and my 2004-2006 X3 passenger vehicles. Depending on the manner and frequency of the front passenger's entry and exit, small cracks have developed in the mat. If this occurs, the front passenger air bags, with the exception of the head protection system, will be deactivated and the air bag warning lamp as well as the passenger air bag "on-off" lamp will be illuminated. Consequences: In this situation the front passenger air bags will not deploy even if a sufficiently severe accident would occur and occupant protection provided by the system would not be possible. Remedy: Dealers will rework the front passenger seat sensor mat so that external force application to the seat does not cause a crack to the mat. The recall began on November 6, 2008. BMW will also extend the warranty on these vehicles to 10 years from first registration without any mileage limit. Owners may contact BMW at 1-800-525-7417. Potential units affected: 200000 notes: BMW of North America, llc

- Hartford, CT, USA

Feb 222012

Restraint system fault.

- St.Louis, MO, USA

Jan 152010

The passenger air bag and seat belt lights were lit on my 2004 BMW 530I. This is the same symptom as described in the recall campaign number 08V384000 / NHTSA action number EA08001. I have never received a recall letter from BMW. I learned about the recall in Feb / 2010 and took the car to BMW dealer. I was told my car is not covered by the recall and I was charged for labor to replace the passenger seat occupancy detector mat (part # 52-10-9-142-348). I believe my car should be included in the BMW recall campaign.

- Spring, TX, USA

Jan 192009

Passenger restraint malfunction illuminated on the dash. It indicates that the seat belt lock and/or airbags may not work in an event of an accident. When I called BMW, they told me that my car is not covered under this recall and it will depend on my local dealership if I will have to pay for the repair.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 122008

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 5 series. The contact noticed a burning smell and felt something burning her leg. She sustained burns to her thigh and buttocks area due to the seat warmer. The manufacturer was unable to assist. The contact was able to locate NHTSA campaign id number 08V384000 (air bags:frontal) for the same year, make, and model vehicle. She also stated that the passenger side air bag was inoperable. The manufacturer advised her to expect a recall on the air bag; however, without a recall, they could not assist. The manufacturer stated that there were no open recalls based on her VIN, but NHTSA campaign id number 04V575000 (seats:front assembly:seat heater/cooler) was referenced. The failure and current mileages were less than 54,000.

- Dumfries, VA, USA