2.1

2007 BMW 530 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 530:

2007 BMW 530 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 212016

530

The left front parking bulb was no working, took the vehicle to BMW dealership in columbia, S.C. to have bulb replaced. Upon picking up the vehicle, the warning indicator for the same bulb and the left front high beam warning both lights were not functioning correctly appeared. I returned to the service department to inquire why the warning was on, which they stated it was probably left loose. The service adviser returned to bring me into the shop to show me the wiring for the light assembly was cracking and falling off, exposing bare wire causing the short and blowing the bulbs. The service department at BMW stated a new assembly would be required which would be about $1500 each for the parts. After replacement of the bulb while in the service department, there was another electrical short causing the bulbs to blow immediately. I have read the wiring was coated with a soy based product, which is why the wiring coating is prematurely cracking and exposing bare copper wire, creating an electrical and fire hazard. Due to the inadequate material utilized by the manufacturer, it should be rectified by the manufacturer prior to serious injury or death.

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Mar 142016

530

Replacing the daytime running light bulb that failed, I removed the headlight assembly from the vehicle to have easier access to the bulb recessed deep inside the headlight housing. Upon opening the access panel, I discovered the wiring insulation of most of the inner wiring harness of headlight brittle and flaking off, exposing the bare wires. The short circuit probability is high with the exposed wires in close proximity.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Nov 102015

530

LH and rh adaptive headlights wiring insulation is crumbling possibly resulting in a electrical headlight fire from the exposed bare wires.

- Fife, WA, USA

Mar 202015

530

My problem started 2 years ago. After two days of very heavy rain I started my vehicle and my navigation screen started to flicker then eventually burned out over a two week time also my radio stopped working at the same time. I didn't have the 2,000 dollars to get it fixed. A few months later after several days of heavy rain I've noticed the drivers floor soaked then the car was hesitant to start. The car over another few months my wipers would cut on by themselves and I couldn't cut them off. It got to the point that I turned the car off and the wipers were still working with no key in the car... the car had to be towed to the mechanics.. now my window work intermittently sometimes they work and sometimes they don't...at this time I also smell the odor of a burning electrical from time to time.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Sep 022014

530

I was driving and opened the sunroof. The night before there was a massive rain storm. Shortly after opening the sunroof the car's electrical system started severely malfunctioning. A warning sign came on that said that the entire electrical system was having a massive malfunction and that I should pull over immediately. The water from the storm drained into the electrical system and shorted it. This is a design flaw in the car and BMW is aware of it. The electrical system is stored near the drains in the lower rear of the car.

- Nyv, NY, USA

Feb 152015

530

Car was parked outside of our home and shut off. About 25 minutes later the car exploded into fire and burned down to the ground leaving the seats and trunk with all interior metal parts on our driveway. Our home was also damaged as a result of this car going on fire. The car was well maintained and no one can advise us as to why this happened.

- New City, NY, USA

Dec 312014

530 6-cyl

I am contacting you in an attempt to obtain assistance / remedy in the repair of a burned outer tail lamp socket in my 2007 530xit. I am the original owner of this vehicle. On 12/31/2014 I received a right tail lamp malfunction warning via I-drive and when I arrived home I inspected the right tail lamp assy and found the outer tail lamp bulb socket contacts to be melted and no longer making contact with the bulb holder. The stock and original bulb tested faulty. Unfortunately, due to the damaged and melted contact on the socket assy, the BMW replacement bulb will not function either. I have a photo of the socket assy should it be needed for investigation. As is the case with the 2008-2010 E60 & E61 models, there have been substantial failures in the rear lighting system resulting in a recall. I feel that this failure reduces the vehicles ability to warn other motorists of the driver's intentions, increasing the risk of a crash and should be investigated for a potential recall on pre lci E61 models.

- Oldsmar, FL, USA

Dec 232014

530 6-cyl

All active xenon headlight wiring protective coating is/has flaked off exposing wires, making it vulnerable to electrical short, lose of driving lights and potential fire hazard.

- Dequincy , LA, USA

Aug 162013

530

We were up in the mountains in an isolated area when I tried to start the car. At first the car wouldn't start. Finally it started and the whole display lite up. The steering wheel would not go to the driving position, plus several malfunction lights started flashing. I put the car in gear and started to drive, the automatic transmission would not shift and I had to drive to the nearest town (10 miles) in third gear. We stopped at the first auto shop we could locate and have the mechanic look at it. He told us we would have to take it to the dealership in denver. We started the car again and this time we got two red lights indicating a passenger side airbag malfunction and the seatbelt malfunction. In addition the steering wheel failed to go down into the driving position. When I called the dealer to check, he told me there is a recall on that issue though my VIN was not included. They wanted $1300 to fix it. I called BMW usa and they told me the same thing. My car was manufactured a month after the recalled cars, presently I am driving with defective airbags that may not deploy. I think BMW should be held responsible as they are well aware of the life threatening malfunction and have issued recalls on a few cars.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jul 072014

530 6-cyl

The sheathing on my headlight's wiring is flaking off which could lead to potential fires. I was quoted $1500 per headlight to replace them with the same crappy headlight housings that are made with the same material that will eventually do the same thing. All I need is to have the car parked in my garage and it causing a fire that could burn down our home or worst injure my family.

- New Caney, TX, USA

Jun 122014

530 8-cyl

Headlights went crazy 4X4 lights came on took into a tech and found code 93B3 steering angle failure.. found campaign si B 34 05 06 from BMW rec a problem with steering angle sensor. My car falls in the date range but not VIN number.. the bulletin states that the VIN should not be the deciding factor on repairs....

- Covington, KY, USA

Mar 102014

530

Dsc and AWD lights come up intermittently. Dealer reported failure in steering angle sensor. Checked in forums to find that this is a common failure for all E60 BMW cars.

- New Milford, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

530

Warning light came on stating electrical malfunction then several other warning lights came on and was lit up like a christmas tree. The odometer area starting going haywire. It was like the car was possessed !!

- Hot Springs, AR, USA

May 152013

530

I discovered failures of multiple wires in the tailgate/rear window wiring harnesses. Through research online I have found this is a common problem with this vehicle over several model years - search for BMW E61 tailgate wiring problems. The failures are caused by a poor design where the wires entering the hinge guides (4) for the glass and tailgate are repeatedly flexed at a sharp angle until the insulation, then the copper wire breaks. Safety issues - possible electrical short circuit leading to fires (highest load is for rear defroster); lighting failures (rear high brake light, license plate lamps and others); reduced visibility due to loss of wiper/washer/defroster; rear glass latch opening while underway, possibly resulting in loss of cargo or ingress of exhaust fumes. This is not an easily repaired problem. It would be beyond the capabilities of all but a skilled mechanic with proper tools. I discovered it when the remote lock/unlock using the key fobs failed. As I investigated I found the broken wire, along with several others with broken insulation, some with broken copper strands.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

Nov 152013

530 6-cyl

I was recently made aware that there is a recall regarding the rear tail lights on 2008+ 5 series vehicles. I recently expereinced the same symptoms as the recall notice on my rear tail lights; however my car is a 2007 model. The I-drive would intermittenly alert that a bulb is out. I have replaced it but it would go out again. I inspected the bulb carrier and bulb socket and noticed severly burned contact area's where one of the bulb sockets plug in. The recall clearly is for sedans 2008+ but I seem to have the exact issue and there are others who have the same issues (see 5series.net forum website).

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Jul 162013

530 6-cyl

The headlights, driving lights are all shorted out. This was a dangerous situation as it happened at night. When taken to my mechanic, he told me that it is a common fault on BMW's. that the wiring for all the lights is made from recycled plastic and with the heat from outside and the engine the insulation completely deteriorates. He showed my bare wires everywhere and if you touch the insulation it just crumbles away. How could a $55,000 car have such poor wiring that is can create a dangerous and possibly fatal accident. To me there should be a complete recall of affected vehicles.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Apr 152013

530 6-cyl

My 2007 BMW 530I engine caught fire on April 15 the moment car was ignited in the early morning. I was with my wife and 2.5 years old son at the time of incident. It could have been a major disaster or even blast if we were not home or with fire extinguisher to control the fire on time. We reported about this life-threatening incident to BMW na multiple times but their customer service representative from corporate headquarters betsy hohmann called our concerns as hypothetical unless there were personal injuries involved. BMW of fremont service center identified that PCV heated hose shorted out and burnt other components. The wire harness and intake manifold were burnt out and melted. The dealership verbally accepted this issue a design flaw that caused almost 6-9 inches flames inside the engine. BMW na customer service offered a deal to fix the problem as long as we sign a confidential nda to hide the facts. BMW na also recommended us to sell this car after repairs but we don't want to risk anyone elseż's life by not disclosing the fire even if we agree to BMW na's proposed resolution. Our confidence in BMW brand has already shaken from the outcome of our conversations because after all this is the matter of customer life, safety, trust and brand.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jun 112012

530 6-cyl

The car battery died after sitting for 6 days, upon recharging the battery, the car started up and many warning lights came on including stability control issue, high discharge on battery, steering lock; and date/time reset. Once we restarted the car and began driving, all of the warning lights went away except for the steering wheel lock warning light. Warning light says "electric steering wheel malfunction. The wheel cannot be unlocked/locked. Please see the nearest BMW dealer for service". after reading reviews, I see a similar occurrence where the warning light occurs once a battery becomes discharged. Once brought to the dealership, they require a whole steering wheel column to be replaced. I feel that if the battery did not die due to it sitting, this should never have been an issue. Thank you

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Mar 182012

530 6-cyl

Vehicle sent error message about passenger side airbag failure in the am, complete electrical system failure in the evening when I went to return home. Dealer found water in trunk, below spare tire. Trunk above spare tire was dry, no signs of moisture. We experienced heavy rainfall on 3/17. Electrical system is fried - vehicle is inoperable. Appears to be failed sunroof water seals per BMW service bulletin si B 61 13 06. In my professional opinion as a mechanical engineer, this is a design flaw. Multiple owners' forums concur.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Jul 152011

530

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 530xi sports wagon. The contact stated that a message indicating that the passenger side airbags would not deploy was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where the diagnostic test indicated that the mat sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 87,000 and the current mileage was 87,400.

- Moneta, VA, USA