2007 BMW 530 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 530:

2007 BMW 530 Owner Comments

Jul 062016

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 530I. The contact stated that the occupant restraint system warning indicator illuminated. In addition, the driver seat felt as if the latches were loose. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Largo, MD, USA

Aug 162013

We were up in the mountains in an isolated area when I tried to start the car. At first the car wouldn't start. Finally it started and the whole display lite up. The steering wheel would not go to the driving position, plus several malfunction lights started flashing. I put the car in gear and started to drive, the automatic transmission would not shift and I had to drive to the nearest town (10 miles) in third gear. We stopped at the first auto shop we could locate and have the mechanic look at it. He told us we would have to take it to the dealership in denver. We started the car again and this time we got two red lights indicating a passenger side airbag malfunction and the seatbelt malfunction. In addition the steering wheel failed to go down into the driving position. When I called the dealer to check, he told me there is a recall on that issue though my VIN was not included. They wanted $1300 to fix it. I called BMW usa and they told me the same thing. My car was manufactured a month after the recalled cars, presently I am driving with defective airbags that may not deploy. I think BMW should be held responsible as they are well aware of the life threatening malfunction and have issued recalls on a few cars.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Oct 012013

The contact owns a 2007 BMW 530I. The contact stated that the air bag and passenger side seat belt sensor lights illuminated indicating that the air bag system was defective. After receiving the notice for recall NHTSA campaign number 13V564000 (air bags) in January the vechile was taken to the dealer. The dealer informed the contact that a second letter was needed in order to perform the free repair. After contacting the manufacturer several times the contact still had not received the second letter from the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

May 132014

530 6-cyl

I had an on & off issue since last week of this year about the airbag & seatbelt warning being illuminated on the dashboard & overhead console of my 2007 BMW 530 xi. It will stay on for a while as I start the car but will turn off by itself after driving a few miles. Now since last week the warning light stays on. The idrive screen shows " pass. Restraints system fault in passenger-restraints system affecting the airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Continue to wear the seatbelt. Have the system checked by BMW service center". I did some research online about this issue & found out that there is recall NHTSA campaign number: 13V564000. I called BMW of tenafly and informed them about the issue I'm having on my vehicle but I was told that the VIN# of my car is not associated with the recall even though it falls into the same category of make, model & year of vehicles being recalled with the same problem. This is a very serious defect and definitely a safety concern that needs to be addressed.

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA

Sep 232013

530 6-cyl

The passenger seat belt warning comes on saying the air bag is in defect, the seat belt is not working but wear seat belt for safety anyway. My car is a 2007 model that was not included in the recall but I am concerned that it was made with defective faults, since there is not enough complaints about them it was not included in the recall. It could have been a broader recall than they thought!! my car is in the shop right now for repairs.

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

Feb 132012

530 6-cyl

Idrive displays seat belt and airbag warning on passenger front seat when occupied by passenger.

- Jefferson, GA, USA

May 162012

Vehicle says passenger restraint malfunction - passenger air bag will not deploy in an event of an accident. There was a recall for the year 2004-2006 models, for the same reason (passenger restraint malfunction). The recall does not cover the 2007 model. This is a serious defect and a safety issue! BMW is charging for this when it should be free. There needs to be a recall for the later models as well. What happens if I am in a accident. This is gross neligence and they deserve to be sued.

- Plymouth Meeting, PA, USA

Apr 012012

530 6-cyl

Vehicle keeps saying passenger restraint malfunction. Passenger air bag will not deploy in an event of an accident. There was a recall for the year 2004-2006 models, for the same reason (passenger restraint malfunction). The recall does not cover the 2007, 2008, 2009 model. The car has never been in an accident, and I feel like if it does, my passenger air bag should deploy when there is a body occupying that seat. The car says the passenger air bag will not deploy when an accident occurs, this is a serious defect. This should not be a problem in any vehicle, let alone a BMW.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 202011

530 6-cyl

The passenger restraint airbag/seat belt warning light show up because the mat sensor under passenage seat is broken by normal use. BMW refuse to honor the free fix for this issue and wanted to charge around $1300 for the repair the safty issue.

- Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Oct 252011

When I purchased the 530I 2007 BMW I wasn't aware of the faulty rear middle seatbelt. I think it could have been defective. Since no one probably sat in that seat it wasn't noticed. I think it should be a lifetime warranty and I should not have to pay any payment to have it fixed.

- Conley, GA, USA