1.9

2008 BMW 535 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 535:

2008 BMW 535 Owner Comments

Mar 162016

535

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 535I. While driving approximately 60 mph, the fuel pump failed and the engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was pulled over to the shoulder and towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that both of the vehicle's fuel pumps were replaced, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the same dealer and the fuel pump was replaced again due to a defective manufacturer's part. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Winston-Salem, NC, USA

May 312016

535

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 535xi. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle lost power and overheated. In addition "please shut engine off due to overheating " was displayed across the message board. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Aug 152016

535

Check engine light came on and car started shaking violently. It happened as soon as I took a corner and hit the gas and lasted until I turned the car off. Very rough idle.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Jun 302016

535

While driving on freeway at 70 mph, the vehicle began to lose power in heavy traffic. I noticed on computer screen engine malfunction-reduced power. So, I manuvered to get to outside shoulder lane, and stopped the vehicle.it was sputtering at the time, and I turned the vehicle off for a few minutes. And then started it again and the problem had cleared itself, so I proceeded to my home. When I got home, I checked on the computer for online information, and saw a recall notice for this vehicle because of high pressure fuel pump failure, safety hazzard. The car was purchased last year from a dealer with only 40,000 miles on it, and at that time the dealer said, "the old owner traded it in on a new vehicle." So, I have no record if this problem was recalled through this 1st owner or not? it acted exactly as the safety complaint explained, the loss of power with engine malfunction. I was fortunate to get off the freeway to a safe place to stop, with lack of power. It was strange to say the least, and the vehicle now has 45,000 miles on the odometer.(I looked up on the site for recalls and put in the VIN number, and the indication came back, no recall on this vehicle. It is ironic that this is the same type of incident that happened to cause major problems, enough to have an abc safety recall special, and I experience the same type of event that many others had. Please advise me of my next procedure to not experience this again. Troubled driver 7/1/2016

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

535

The car has an passenger restraint error that does not go away. The car fuel gage does not work either

- North Potomac, MD, USA

May 062016

535

I recently purchased a 2008 BMW 535xi and have had it for about a week or so. It has spent more time in the shop than on the road due to fuel injectors causing misfires and now the high pressure fuel pump has gone out. I recently found out also that this is a common issue with BMW and they are pretending that the fuel pump malfunction in 3 & 5 series isn't their fault. I checked the carfax on the vehicle before buying it and it was serviced regularly at a BMW dealership. After further research I also have found out that the dealership totally ignored the recalls and screwed over the first owner. BMW needs to take full responsibility for selling cars with known defective parts. I have to drop $3800 to fix the problems that the fuel pump has caused. The car won't even start now.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 082015

535

I was exiting the the freeway and when I was on a banked onramp the engine stopped running while vehicle was in motion. I lost power steering and the ability to release the brake. I nearly lost control of the vehicle as the unexpected loss in power steering caused me to loose grip on the wheel. The engine was in neutral when the engine stalled. Upon restarting the engine (which struggled to start) the "service engine soon telltale" illuminated and the vehicle entered "reduce engine power mode". after scanning the dtc (P3090) I learned the vehicle's high pressure fuel pump failed. I noticed BMW has a recall on the issue. Unfortunately their recall only covers the fuel pump to 120,000 miles and my vehicle has roughly 9,500 miles above the covered threshold. Based on my experience and reading online I feel the pump has some sort of design flaw that BMW has failed to properly address. I wish BMW would hold up to their integrity and continue to replace the fuel pump for the life of the vehicle.

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Mar 252015

535 6-cyl

I started my car and upon starting it began rattling and shaking violently. I took a video of the message that appeared on the dash saying. Engine malfunction reduced power.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Jan 072015

535 6-cyl

I drove to work and the engine light was on that morning. The car drove as normal. I was driving home from work at approximately 6:30 P.M on a busy interstate in the middle lane traveling approx. 65 mph when the car began to shake and lose power. It automatically shifted into neutral and lose power. I had to maneuver to the shoulder in heavy traffic with no power. After turning on my hazard lights, I was able to safely get to the shoulder. The car was towed home. After a few days, we were able to drive it to the repair shop (not BMW) and was initially told that sensors were bad. Replaced them and a few days later, the same engine warning light came on again. This time I was told that it was bad injectors and that the fuel is burning to rich. BMW had previously replaced 2 of the injectors about 2 years ago. The car only had approximately 35K miles at that time and needed injectors replaced. Why they only replaced 2, is incomprehensible. Thankfully, the car was under warranty at that time, unfortunately for me, it is no longer under warranty and now I have to foot the $2K bill to have them replaced. BMW should be held accountable to its owners and replace these injectors since there are so many reported problems. There is obviously an issue with the injectors. These cars are not inexpensive to purchase and it is unfair to be stuck with these high repair bills when there is a know problem and reported by so many BMW owners. First, it was my water pump, and now the fuel injectors. This is my second BMW. I previously owned the 328 and it had lifters replaced after about 8 months. I will not purchase another BMW - probably go with Lexus! shame on BMW for not taking ownership of this problem..

- Hayward, CA, USA

Oct 012014

535

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 535xi. The contact stated that the vehicle vibrated upon start up. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the two fuel injectors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in the new design fuel injectors manufacturer's recall. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- Spokane , WA, USA

Nov 102014

535 6-cyl

The car was shuddering due to misfiring fuel injectors and had erratic engine operation. Note: BMW is aware of this problem and issued a voluntary recall in December 2010. BMW noted in the recall that this repair is to be covered under warranty regardless of time or mileage on the vehicle. In my experience, BMW is not honoring the voluntary recall notice.

- Great Falls, VA, USA

Jul 162014

535

Gasoline is leaking from the fuel level sensor, which is accessed beneath the left rear passenger seat, due to a crack in the plastic housing. My independent mechanic who specializes in BMW repair, tells me this is a common problem with BMW and Mercedes vehicles.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 142014

535 6-cyl

All 6 fuel injectors failed. Car lost power while driving on 3 separate occasions.

- Fanwood, NJ, USA

May 172014

535 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle about 45 mph when instrument cluster warning lamps can on and my car lost power and stall while I was drive. Luckily I was able to avoid a crash and coast the car to safe side road until the car came to a complete stop. I tried to restart the vehicle but it will run for few seconds and die, however I wasn't able to restart my car.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jan 042013

535 6-cyl

Smell of gas fumes in car when started car. Gas and fumes increased as car idled. Infant also in car. Began feeling lightheaded so had to roll down windows to make it home. Later in evening entire garage was consumed with gas fumes. Sent car to shop. Found leaking fuel line with no fault of my own.

- Youngsville, LA, USA

Sep 152012

535 6-cyl

The warning light came on. The vehicle information system said the fuel pump was malfunctioning. I took it to the dealer and they said the fuel pump failed.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Apr 262011

535 6-cyl

While driving, the entire electrical panel [speedometer, radio, display screen, etc.] begin to click on/off each time reappearing with appeared to be everything but english. Soon to follow, I received a warning light indicating "engine overheated", "engine power was being reduced", and "to stop the vehicle" when possible. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of traffic and could not immediately pull off to the shoulder. The vehicle didn't travel very far before complete engine power was lost due to the possibility of "fire risk" as indicated on the panel.

- Shreveport, LA, USA