2.4

2010 BMW 535 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 BMW 535:

2010 BMW 535 Owner Comments

Jul 012016

535

Engine oil leaking from common valve cover leak. Causes sudden power loss while driving.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 172014

535 6-cyl

Had 3 ignition coils replaced at 49000 miles. Was causing rough idle. Had 3 more ignition coils replaced at 67000 miles. Was causing rough idle. Had fuel injector replaced in cylinder 3.

- Meridian, ID, USA

Apr 042014

535

The contact owns a 2010 BMW 535xi. The contact stated while driving 30 mph the vehicle lost power as the check engine warning indicator and turn the vehicle off illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed it with an engine loss. The contact had the vehicle towed to a dealer who informed her that the cam shaft in the engine broke. The vehicle was not repaired.the manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Apr 242014

535 6-cyl

My 3 kids and I had left the BMW dealer after I had parts serviced/parts replaced, and jumped on the interstate. I was cruising around 70mph when I felt the car slow down and the msg "engine malfunction, reduce speed" appeared. I veered to the right a little, but I quickly found and exit and pulled over. Fortunately, the traffic on the interstate was lite and an accident was avoided, but it did get my heart racing. The dealer said this was a "common" type of msg, but I'm weary. I tried telling them about the fuel pump issue, but they said my car was not affected. They wanted to charge me another diagnostic fee and I just paid to have my car serviced and diagnosed! they also suggested I continue to drive it until the issue forces me to have to bring it in - basically until something breaks. I would have the dealer would have started with replacing the high pressure fuel pump and moving on from there since it is a documented problem. We'll see what happens.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Oct 242013

535 6-cyl

Injectors fail at just 59000; require all six injectors to be replaced.

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Jan 012014

535 6-cyl

I purchased a pre-owned 2010 BMW 535I on 12/31/2013. The next day (new year's day), and without any warning or indication, the vehicle spontaneously shut down, coming to a rolling stop. As soon as the engine shut down, the dashboard showed a "fuel pump" warning, which also noted that "continued driving is possible." However, several attempts to re-start were not successful, and the vehicle had to be pushed to a safe location. Prior to the engine failure, I was driving at about 35 mph on a 2-lane divide roadway, where construction barricades replaced the shoulder. The incident occurred just around midnight, and there was very little traffic, so we were spared certain catastrophe. The vehicle was towed to my home, and although the engine light stayed on, we were able to drive it back to the dealership from there. For the next 30+ days, various fuel injection system components were serviced and/or replaced including the following: High-pressure fuel pump replaced; low-pressure fuel pump replaced; fuel injectors flushed, ignition coils and spark plugs replaced. After each of those "fixes", the vehicle was returned to us, and shut down again on the road and in traffic within 2 days. Finally, the injection pump control module was replaced, and the vehicle underwent a complete software system update. We picked up the vehicle for the 4th time on 2/3/2014, and it appears that the problem has been corrected and our safety restored....

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Jan 282014

535 6-cyl

Ignition coil malfunction recurs after dealership repairs of the same problem. Causes engine speed to vary and be outside the drivers control.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 122013

535 6-cyl

On January 12, 2013, while driving with my family on a southern California highway at speeds of roughly 70 mph, our 2010 BMW 535I sedan, suddenly lost power, stalled, could not accelerate, and became difficult to control as I crossed 3 lanes of traffic; surprisingly guided the vehicle safely to the right shoulder. At the time the vehicle lost power, a warning indicator light displayed, "engine malfunction-reduced power." As a result, it required a tow service to a local BMW dealership.

- Long Beach, CA, USA