2008 BMW 550 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 550:

2008 BMW 550 Owner Comments

Apr 012014

550 6-cyl

I took my car to the dealership for regular maintenance (oil change etc). They found right side engine mount bolt broken which can cause additional damage to the car. This was reported as a safety concern. I am the sole driver and have never had any issues or unusual road conditions. I searched on internet and I found a lot of complaints with 2008 bmws (5 series as well as 3 series). Definitely should be a safety recall !!!

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 152013

550 6-cyl

Water pump failure with less than 50K miles, repair cost $1200, ridiculous! see NHTSA id number: 10472497, this gentleman had the same complaint and just like him, my car was out of warranty by 1.5 months.

- Madison, WI, USA

Nov 042012

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 535I. The contact stated that while traveling 30 mph, the engine temperature warning light illuminated. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to his residence. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileages were 78,000.

- Holly Springs, NC, USA

May 122012

We bought a certified pre-owned 2008 535xi in November 2010. It had 36,000 miles. At 59,000 miles while driving approximately 75 mph on a majory highway in long island after sitting in traffic for an hour and a half on a 70 degree day, the car just shut down. It would barely steer and would not accelerate. We were lucky that the brakes worked and were able to glide over to the shoulder. Computer said engine overheated and it was the red indicator which is the worst. We got towed to a dealership and are told its the water pump. We did have the car serviced at a different dealership 4 days before this happened and told them about a clicking noise from the engine but they didn't hear it so nothing was done. The incident was very scary and makes me not want to drive the car anymore.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA