2011 BMW 550 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW 550:

2011 BMW 550 Owner Comments

Apr 302014

550 8-cyl

I was driving on a residential street and shifted into 3rd gear. The car began to buck violently. I pushed in the clutch to stop the bucking. I was approaching an intersection. I attempted to accelerate and the gas pedal was non-responsive. The vehicle then indicated that it had a drivetrain malfunction. I was able to pull over, turn the car off and back on and drive 0.5 miles to my destination. While parked, the parking brake also malfunctioned and I was unable to turn it off. The car was towed to the dealership. There is a significant design deficiency with this vehicle. The problem with my car had to do with a broken plastic part on the water channel that leads around the trunk. The plastic cover is supposed to snap into a grommet that is in a hole, thus sealing the hole from water. In my situation, the grommet was missing. Given the design of the plastic part, there is no way to know that there is an issue without removing the plastic part. The hole that the plastic piece snaps into leads directly into the trunk. In the bottom of the trunk are sensitive electronic modules that control the fuel management system and the parking brake. There is no drain in the trunk that would allow water to leave the vehicle. My vehicle was parked in a parking lot during a rain storm. As a result of the design, I got water in the trunk, which ruined these two modules, resulting in the vehicle becoming disabled while driving. I believe that this is a significant safety issue for the following reasons: I) as a consumer, I had no idea that the electronics that enable the vehicle to manage fuel were located in the trunk; II) the design of the water channel around the trunk seems inadequate given that any failure of the plastic shield / grommet combination would lead to water in the trunk and expose these critical components.

- Summit, NJ, USA

Dec 012010

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 5 series. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact approached a stop sign and depressed the brake pedal when the vehicle suddenly accelerated abnormally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician advised that the failure occurred due to driver error. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. An engineer was sent to inspect the vehicle and performed software updates. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Aug 102011

550 6-cyl

There are two major problems with my 2011 528I august10 build. The first is the pulling to the right that the car has had since day one. I took it to the service department and they were completely oblivious to the problem. After some persistence they decided to check the car out. The struts were rotated and software updated and now "drives straight". the car drives straight for maybe 25 feet before the car starts tugging hard right everytime. I took the car back to the shop and they said that there was nothing more they can do and it is all "within tolerance". this is a potentially very dangerous issue that needs to be seriously addressed. The second issue is the initial lag in acceleration when pressing the gas pedal. When at a dead stop or cruising at highway speeds, you have to floor the car to finally get it to decide which gear to start in. This acceleration lag can be a couple of seconds and when pulling out in traffic a couple of seconds can mean alot. I hope BMW addresses these issues or I will be forced to sell my car and never look back.

- Macon, GA, USA

Sep 042010

The contact owns a 2011 BMW 528I. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would hesitate whenever he attempted to slow down or immediately after the accelerator pedal was engaged. The dealer was informed about the failure and stated that it was normal; however, shifting into sport mode would prevent the failure from occurring. The failure occurred every time the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage was 1575.

- Camerillo , CA, USA