8.0

1998 BMW 740 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 BMW 740:

1998 BMW 740 Owner Comments

Nov 252010

740 8-cyl

I bought this vehicle in 2002 at 96K miles it has been nothing but problems, since buying vehicle, I have had water pump failure twice, replaced radiator twice, hoses & rings..two battery's front bumper, catalytic convertor L. bay, changed.. brakes & rotors changed Nov. 11...... 3 weeks later as I was driving home from work.. I got a transmission failure.. and the car stopped in the middle of the road.. the car goes in reverse but not forward.. I have only driven this car 15 -16K miles since owning the vehicle I have had all these chronic repairs.. I'm distraught that I could have been in a serious car crash..not sure what to do?.. but accrd.. to many BMW owners I find on the net there is a chronic problem w/ transmission failure BMW should be held accountable.. it is dangerous and unsafe for drivers there needs to be some investigation in regards to transmission failure..

- Sunnyvale , CA, USA

Dec 012000

740

This is about my 1998 740il BMW. Two times since owning this vehicle the engine reveved up when I was pushing the brake pedal, nearly causing me to loose control. I found the problem. Compared to my previous Mercedes Benz, the accelarator and brake pedals are closer together. Also, the brake pedal of the BMW compresses further down that with any other car. As a result, if my foot was only on the edge of the brake pedal, the bottom of my foot extended over onto the gas pedal. The harder I pressed the brake, the more gas I was giving the engine. To a new person in that car, as I was, this was a deadly conbination. Now that I know, I am much more careful and the situation has not reoccurred.

- Winter Park, FL, USA