2012 BMW 750 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 BMW 750:

2012 BMW 750 Owner Comments

Jul 152016

The engine malfunctioned in my car while driving and is a safety hazard to myself and others on public roads with multiple engine parts identified by the manufacturer to be defective. The car sporadically stops operating with full power and there have been several reports of instant engine failure while driving. BMW issued what they have called the N63 customer care package on Dec. 29, 2014 to address failures on the engine regardless of warranty and mileage, but have denied this service for my vehicle. The defective engine is in the following vehicles: F01 and F02 (7 series sedan) produced from 3/2009 to 6/2012 F04 (active hybrid 7) produced from 4/2010 to 6/2012 F07 (gran turismo) produced from 9/2009 to 6/2012 F10 (5 series sedan) produced from 3/2010 to 7/2013 F12 (6 series convertible) produced from 3/2011 to 7/2012 F13 (6 series coupe) produced from 7/2011 to 7/2012 E70 (X5) produced from 3/2010 to 6/2013 E71 (X6) produced from 7/2008 to 6/2014 E72 (activehybrid X6) produced from 9/2009 to 9/2011 I purchased the vehicle with 40,429 miles and Michigan rebuilt salvage title in may of 2016 after it was in an accident in August 2015. The position of BMW is that they will not perform the service on the vehicle now as it was reported as an insurance loss, but likely thousands of these vehicles operate on public roads legally with rebuilt titles. I feel the condition is a true safety risk and should be handled under a recall to require proper correction and ensure public safety rather than a discretionary service from BMW to protect their reputation and expenses. Attached is the Michigan rebuilt title and document for re-certification showing the repairs did not include the motor. Also included is the correspondence with BMW and a photos of the vehicle after repair.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

May 192016

Abnormal oil consumption. Sudden loss of power while driving.

- Rochester, MI, USA

Nov 062015

When entering the on ramp to merge onto the highway. I accelerated to merge into traffic and car vibrated violently and would not accelerate. I continued to press the accelerator but nothing happened and a message appeared on the display. Now, I'm stuck between the on ramp and the highway with a tractor trailer rapidly approaching. He barely has enough space to merge to his left and avoids rear ending me.this could have been catastrophic. I continued to press the accelerator and nothing happened. I put my hazards on and quickly read the message. It read, "maximum engine output not available." So, I turned the car off and restarted it, and it worked fine for a few hundred feet until I tried to accelerate. It did the exact same thing but this time it allowed me to creep along at 35 mph. I pulled over into the emergency lane and turned it off and on again, and it worked as normal. But this time I just continued to drive to work at 35 mph. During work, I scheduled a service appointment the next day. After work, I pulled out of my parking space and something popped and once again it stalled. After turning it on and off again, I was able to drive it home. The next day at the dealership, I was informed of the customer care package (recall). But what I didn't know at that time, the car had already been recalled with the previous owner. A lot of the same work was duplicated. Btw, this is a 2012 750li with 37,000 at the time of the second occurrence. The first occurrence happened at 29,931. It happened again 2 months later. This vehicle is unpredictable and you don't know when it will stall on you. The last repair reduced the powertrain output and takes a deep gasp before accelerating. Please read BMW's customer care service. The number of repairs are too numerous to list on the remainder of this thread.

- Tucker, GA, USA

Dec 152015

The contact owns a 2012 BMW 750li. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle shook violently, stalled, and the check engine warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel injector needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Mar 272016

I have only 20000 miles. After 35 mph engine start shaking.has no power and check engine control its on.its not firs time. I know it's problem with fuel ingectors. I thing BMW has to fix this problem for free. It's not only my car.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 152014

The contact owns a 2012 BMW 750li. While driving approximately 35 mph, the check engine and power train warning indicators illuminated as the vehicle began to shake and white smoke came from the rear of the vehicle. The contact stated that after coming to a complete stop, the vehicle continued to shake. The vehicle was restarted however, when the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle began to shake again. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but the failure was unable to be determined. The technician replaced the fuel injector however the failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer on four separate occasions, for the same failure but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,274.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 032015

The car engine was caught on fire in the parking lot. After driving from my house (about 3 miles), the car was parked in the mall. I went in the shopping mall for 10 minutes, and I went outside. My car was on fire. Fire department came, and he broke the hood to put out the fire.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 052014

750 8-cyl

This car experiences multiple drivetrain malfunction codes, looses power at intervals when driving, leaks oil from seals which creates white smoke from both the exhaust pipes and from underneath the hood. It also has a rough idle and every so often, the check engine light comes on. BMW should be ashamed of themselves for having these ongoing problems with their cars in this day and age.

- East Orange, NJ, USA

Aug 232012

750 8-cyl

Drove car at approximately 8:30 P.M. car was left in the garage for the night. At 3:35 a.M. was awaken by my dog and smelled smoke, strongest in the area of the garage. Once extinguished by firefighters the car was pulled out. The left front number, headlight, and adjacent structures were melted. Extensive fire damage and smoke damage in the garage, and a lesser degree in the house. Cause of fire origin was not determined, but the car was not excluded. Concerned that this could be related to the auxiliary cooling pump issue noted in 2010 and 2011 models.

- Frankfort, IL, USA