2014 BMW X1 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 BMW X1:

2014 BMW X1 Owner Comments

Mar 212016

X1

I approached an intersection on a city street where I wanted to make a right turn on to another city street. Since the light was red I applied my brakes slowly and tried to coast to a gentle stop behind of a truck in front of me. As I slowed down to come to a complete stop, my break peddle lost all pressure and the peddle went all the way down to the floor. The car continued to roll and rear ended the truck infront of me. Luckily I had already slowed down considerably before the brakes on my car completly failed. After I rear ended the truck I put my car into park, then into reverse to back away from the truck. At that point my breaks seam to return to normal function. Fortunately prior to collision I was going slow enough that I lightly bumped the truck's bumper and did not push the truck into the car that was infront of him. His truck was undamaged because I hit his tow hitch, but my license plate and front bumper were slightly dented. When I first bought the car my brake peddle seemed very sensitive, but I recently noticed that my brake peddle has softened up. Afraid to continue driving the car after the incident I had my son drive me home. After doing a little research he found that there is an active recall (NHTSA #14V627000 & #13V454000) for my car (as well as his 2014 BMW 328I) that includes our make, models and years that is consistant with exactly what had occurred. But when we input our VIN numbers, our cars are not included in the recalls. We have checked the BMW site as well as the NHTSA sites with the same results. We have schedualed an appointment to have the cars breaks inspected at the BMW dealership, but was informed that the recall repairs may not be performed because our VIN does not fall under the included the vehicles.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Oct 092015

X1

The contact owns a 2014 BMW X1. While driving approximately 5 mph, the brakes malfunctioned and the contact's vehicle crashed into the rear of a second vehicle. No injuries were reported and a police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The failure was unable to be duplicated, but the dealer stated that the braking system was operating normally. The failure continued to occur. The manufacturer was notified of the failures and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V627000 (service brakes), even though the failures were identical. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- Pell City, AL, USA

Oct 112014

X1 4-cyl

Driving from a parking slot at carl's jr., my car suddenly accelerated with a loud engine roar, to approximately 80-90 mph, jumped over a curb over an island, run through three parking slots, hit another curb and hit a palm tree-which finally stopped my car- at a distance of about 50-60 feet from my parked position. I was stepping on the brakes for the whole 5-6 seconds until my car hit the palm tree. The brake just did not work. Mistakenly stepping on the accelerator, is out of the question--with all the jarring and swaying--any idiot will step on the brake, which I did. My wife is hospitalized with a fractured spine and I suffer recurrent headaches. BMW and allstate promised to investigate but no earlier than 3 months after the accident!

- Anaheim, CA, USA