2.5

2004 BMW X3 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW X3:

2004 BMW X3 Owner Comments

Dec 012010

X3 6-cyl

I have been alerted by my local mechanic a few years ago and in 2011 by my local BMW dealer that my left rear coil spring has broken due to rust. I have been told by the local BMW dealer that this is a common occurance for all bmws that operate in the northeast due to salt. The dealer's memo to me states: "if not replaced, worn coil springs will not allow the suspension system to move and adapt to changing road irregularities". the BMW dealer wants $640.24 to replace both rear springs. My vehicle now has 80,000+ miles on it and I cannot afford to have it fixed. The car has always been garaged, as has been our other vehicles, none of which that has had suspension problems due to salt/rust. One vehicle has 280,000 miles on it. This is a major design/performance flaw that may have bad consequences for BMW owners.

- Southborough, MA, USA