2007 BMW X3 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW X3:

2007 BMW X3 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 192013

X3

My husband and I had just gotten in the car and turned on the seat heaters and not even 2 minutes later, he started smelling smoke...he turned the seat heater off and when we got out of the car, there was a pea sized burn in the driver's seat. He also had a burn mark on his jeans that went through to his wallet. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but we had our 3 dogs in the car headed to the vet and this could have caused major problems. I certainly hope this is a problem that BMW will accept responsibility for fixing...

- Bixby, OK, USA

Mar 082013

X3 6-cyl

Driving vehicle noticed a burning smell, at first thought it was coming from outside of car, then while in heavy traffic and unable to pull over felt a burning pain on thigh. Immediately turned off seat warmer and tried to pull over. Found that drivers side seat warmer had burnt a hole thru the leather seat cover and burned my pants. This could have very easily caused a wreck!

- Liberty Township, OH, USA

Mar 162013

X3

The contact owns a 2007 BMW X3. The contact stated that the driver's seat emitted a strong burning odor. The contact found that the driver's seat was on fire and had burned through her clothing, injuring the contact. The contact was able to extinguish the fire by pouring water on the seat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed but was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 68,000.

- Laurel , MD, USA

Feb 252013

X3 6-cyl

On Monday, February 25, 2013 my wife turned on the driver's-side seat heater and approximately one minute later she smelled smoke. She realized that her clothes were on fire and stopped and jumped out and the seat-heater had burned through the leather seat and was burning her coat.

- Novi, MI, USA

Dec 172012

X3 6-cyl

I had car heating system on and felt some thing very hot under my thigh. I got down to inspect and found a hole in the car seat. I put off the heating system to reach home safely. I have sent pictures and my complaint to BMW ag and BMW usa.

- Cromwell, CT, USA

Dec 112012

X3 6-cyl

While driving last night, I started to feel something hot in the seat, and within a few moments there was a burning smell. I leaned forward and looked back at the seat, and it had a flame coming out of a hole melted in the leather. (left side of the driver's seat) luckily, I was wearing a coat and driving in an area that I could pull over quickly. After I hopped out & turned off the heated seats, it continued to spark as my son and I waited outside in the cold for someone to come pick us up. Could have been a lot worse, but I'm starting to hear that this is not that uncommon of a an occurrence. Thanks!

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Dec 042012

X3 6-cyl

Turned on heated seat on driver's side. After approximately 2 minutes, felt burning on left side of seat. Turned off the heated seat, turned on the light and the seat was smoking substantially. A small hole was burned through the leather seat (about the size of a dime) and through my pants. I have a small red mark on the top of the back of my leg. The vehicle smells like smoke. Luckily, I was in the driveway when this happened or an accident might have occurred. Very concerning and will likely be a costly repair. Have noted several other similar incidents repoted on-line.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Jul 312012

X3 6-cyl

I was driving to work early in the morning and since it was a bit chilly, turned on the seat warmer. Within seconds I felt a painful burning in my left rear "cheek" and smelled smoke and something burning. I immediately turned off the seat warmer and the smoke and smell cleared. When I was finally able to stop and assess the damage, there is a burned spot on my leather seat and I have a burn on my backside. I took the car in to my mechanic and he states that I was lucky it didn't start a fire because the damage to the heating element/wiring is so extensive. I was advised not to use it until it could be repaired. I bought this vehicle used and I did purchase a warranty with it, but it doesn't look like this item is covered. However, BMW needs to step up and fix this. I almost got into an accident because of the pain and I actually thought the car was on fire. I was very lucky that turning off the seat warmer stopped any further damage. I've already noted 7 other seat warmer issues for the 2007 X3 model, I've read numerous other complaints on various other internet blogs (which would definitely increase the number of complaints if those individuals knew where & how to file a complaint like this), and I also know that there have been other BMW models with similar issues where there has been a recall (04V575000 recall date : Nov 24, 2004 ). what are you waiting for" for someone to get seriously hurt or worse, die" this is a serious safety issue that needs to be addressed by an immediate recall. This issue nearly caused a fire while I was driving on the freeway and could have caused an accident!!!

- Daly City, CA, USA

Jan 282012

X3 6-cyl

My cars is bought in usa from www.selectautoimports.com/ and exported to belarus via lithuania (port of klaipeda). Let me report the following case and ask your assistance. A hole of almost 1 cm was discovered after the driver seat heating had been switched on a BMW X3 E83 2007 (a driver coat was also damaged). The car is no longer covered by warranty. The hole is located in the left waist support cushion. It can be noticed that the heater is glowing, sparkling and overheating in this particular place. As I know, such manufacturing defect is rather a common case and is dealt with by local BMW dealers independently of where the car was purchased. Please help me solving the above issue which is more annoying as we are in the middle of a severe winter and one does not feel like getting burned or set the car on fire. Pictures is here https://picasaweb.google.com/101022534625221094019/X3?authkey=gv1srgclullsubjnl3pg# thank you very much for your attention on this matter please contact with me by E-mail.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 072012

X3 6-cyl

Driving through residential area I fell a little pain on my buttocks, pull over and there is a hole the size of a pea on the seat and similar hole on my pants. Got a mild burn too since I am heavy and was sitting heavily on the affected burn area of the seat.

- Saginaw, TX, USA

Jan 182012

X3

The contact owns a 2007 BMW X3. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph when a burning smell was exhibited from the inside of the vehicle and smoke was seen coming from the driver's side seat. The contact's coat caught on fire but the contact was able to exit the vehicle without any injuries. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised that the electric heater failed and the entire seat needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 47,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Jan 072012

X3

The contact owns a 2007 BMW X3. The contact stated that the driver side seat warmer overheated and burned a hole in the seat. The manufacturer and dealer were contacted, but denied any assistance with repairs to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 66,500 and the current mileage was 66,655.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Dec 152011

X3 6-cyl

Driver's side seat heater has malfunctioned and has burnt the leather and caused discomfort while driving. Heavy burnt smell in the cabin resulted from using the seat heater.

- Selah, WA, USA

Nov 032011

X3

Drivers side seat heater got way too hot. Need to turn off to avoid burn of both seat and driver's leg.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA