2006 BMW X5 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW X5:

2006 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Dec 242015

X5 8-cyl

Recall : brake vacuum pump recall mentioned that all X5 affected vehicles were built from September 12, 2006 through March 18, 2010. My car has same issue and its built year is 2006 but company says that my VIN doesn't come under recall. This doesn't make any sense, when I have issue which can cause serious accident then they should fix it. I am not getting any help from BMW dealers so I have to spend my own money to fix the issue which should be taken care under recall mentioned in the beginning. My vehicle is with the mechanic and it shows the leak from vacuum pump which can create serious accident while driving. I dont want to take any risk driving vehicle in a condition when brakes wont apply, specially having kids in my car. My car broke down because alternator generated high voltage which screwed up my battery so I gave my car to certified mechanic to fix it. While fixing the mentioned issue, he find out oil leak from vacuum pump. I did research about this issue and find out that people got lucky that they got saved in accidents due to oil leak in vacuum pump that's what made me scared.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 232015

X5

Brake lines corroded and ruptured with loss of brake fluid and decreased braking ability. Brake light came on after gentle braking on the road at low speed.

- Fort Gratiot, MI, USA

Dec 012015

X5

The power braking system has stopped work, brake pedal goes to the floor and will not stop the vehicle, I see that BMW has a recall on the 2007 X5 made the same year and model with the V8 engine, I am a member on my forms and there are hundreds of BMW X5 with the same problem, and some people have had accidents because of the braking system suddenly not working, I had my BMW X5 at the BMW shop and they diagnose was the vacuum pump has failed, vacuum tube is leaking and the brake booster has failed also. This is a serious problem, this is not a tail light not working, this is putting people lives in danger. The repair cost is $2300.

- Hartsdale, NY, USA

Jun 152015

X5

The issue is specifically with the braking system. The car developed a sudden dangerous loss of braking power. One moment the brakes were working correctly and the next they were not. BMW has 2 recalls for this issue but for unknown reasons my car is not included in either recall. The recall campaigns are 10V-446 & 13V-045. The description of the problem is the following: "this recall involves the power assist braking function. A small amount of oil could leak from the brake vacuum pump into the brake vacuum hose. Over time, contamination of the brake booster could occur. This could affect the power assist braking function. In certain cases, loss of power brake assist could occur. If this happened, it would require greater brake pedal force, increase the stopping distance, and increase the risk of a crash. " my car has the exact issue as described in the recalls. There is no warning light to indicate there are any issues with the brakes. I called BMW na and described the issue to them and they told me to take it to my local BMW dealership to have the issue diagnosed. The local dealership determined my car had the issue as detailed in both BMW recalls. As instructed by BMW I reported this back to them and after several weeks they followed up with me (2/10/15 to be exact) only to tell me they will not fix the issue as part of the recall and thus I would have to pay for it out of my own pocket. This decision was made despite the fact that my car meets nearly all parameters of the recalls (my exact model is not listed as part of the recall but the model of braking system and engine matches the recall details). This is a serious safety issue and one that I do not believe BMW should be overlooking or denying coverage for. This brake issue affects more than just the cars listed in the two BMW recalls.

- Sugarhill, GA, USA

Feb 102015

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the brakes upon engaging for a brief moment. After coming to a stop, the contact was able to resume driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who informed that the power assist was faulty. The brake booster, vacuum pump and power assist would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 143,000.

- Madison, AL, USA

Jan 082015

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Jan 082015

X5

Brake warning light came on, went to my repairman who added brake fluid and said to watch for brake fluid spots on garage floor. Found spots coming from area behind front wheel on drivers side. Took it back for check and it was determined that line had rotted through. Hard to understand this was in enclosed protected area.

- Sturgeon Bay,, WI, USA

Oct 312014

X5

I already filed complaints for a failed brake booster, master cylinder pump, water pump leaking coolant, power steering pump leaking oil. I failed to mention that the valve gasket cover also needed to be replaced as oil was spewing all over the engine. At this point, this vehicle should be recalled in its entirety.

Oct 312014

X5

Brake booster and master cylinder failed in June. Not covered under recall since a recall had not been issued for the 2006 models. Shortly thereafter the water pump began leaking coolant. Again, not covered for 2006 models. Now there is a severe leak in the power steering pump. All should be recalled. Already spent over $4K in repairs for a vehicle that, given its price and claims of extraordinary german engineering, should not have been necessary. Very disappointed.

Aug 132014

X5

While sitting at a red light the brake pedal all of sudden became hard and applied a unreasonable amount of pressure against my leg. In order to make the car stop I needed to exert a tremendous amount of pressure in order to stop the car from rolling forward and hitting the car in front of me. There has been a recall for the 2007 and newer 8 cyl X5 brake boosters. Obviously this is the same problem and there should be a recall done with this car as well. Any denial on the part of BMW that this is a product defect is a denial on their part.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Sep 172014

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact stated that while at a traffic light, the brakes failed to respond. The problem recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified about the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Aug 282013

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, the vehicle continued to move forward although the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to locate a failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Kingston, NY, USA

Jun 252014

X5 8-cyl

The brakes failed while I was driving to work. I stepped on the brakes to stop from approximately 30mph and the vehicle did not slow down or come to a stop. I had to steer onto the median to avoid hitting the vehicle in front of me. Mechanic said the booster needs to be replaced. No warnings displayed in dashboard. Extremely dangerous and I'm lucky to have avoided a more serious accident. Someone could have been seriously hurt given the size of this vehicle.

Oct 152013

X5 8-cyl

My X5 4.4 began to have a harder and harder brake pedal. In a three week period it went from a little hard at the end of the stop to absolutely no brakes. What is more concerning is that my mother-in-law also has a 2006 X5 4.4 that the same exact thing has happened and she has half the miles. This appears to be a workmanship or design fault since it is not mileage dependent but age. It is an absolute safety concern since the brakes will completely fail shortly after the 1st indication. BMW has a history of skating on recalls, the same problem happens to 5 series using the same set up and it was recalled.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Aug 082013

X5 8-cyl

On August 8th 2013 while we were on vacation in northern NY, the vehicle braking system failed - pedal to the floor with very minimal braking function. This is a huge concern in any area, but we were in a mountainous region of NY and this could have ended very very bad. Luckily it didn't. I called the closest BMW (keeler) dealer and spoke with a service representative. I noted the year and model and explained the symptoms. The service representative knew immediately what it was. He had me check under the driver's side of the vehicle for a brake line leak. Sure enough he was correct; brake fluid was dripping from the cover under the driver's floor. He made note that they see this very frequently in their service group. They had another X5 in the shop for the same problem and because that owner was a "local", keeler used their parts for our vehicle. Very concerning is the fact that a month earlier, we had a nys inspection and the corroded brake lines went unnoticed. When we returned home, I spoke to the BMW of rochester service guys about this. To my surprise, they confirmed that they to see this corroded brake line problem on a regular basis. I paid $2106.57 for a problem that your service teams see on a regular basis, yet nothing has ever been mentioned to me and the vehicle passed the nys safety inspection a month earlier. I worked with BMW of rochester service and discussed my concerns regarding the brake failure. BMW extended a good faith offer of $2000 towards a new vehicle. This appears to be a common problem that the BMW service shops see frequently. It rendered the vehicle unsafe to drive and should have been discovered with a proper safety inspection. Best regards.

- Ontario, NY, USA

May 092013

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact stated that the while driving 10 mph, the contact attempted to brake but the brake pedal seized. The vehicle did stop, but hesitated to respond. The failure recurred at different speeds. The vehicle was inspected at an independent repair shop where it was determined that the failure was caused by oil that was present in the brake booster. The vacuum pump leaked oil into the brake booster, causing the brake assist to fail. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Nashville , TN, USA

Mar 212013

X5 8-cyl

Very disappointed in BMW this time. My brakes system suddenly failed, causing my vehicle to crash into a poll in the street parking. Front bumper was completely damaged. Right after, we found out that the brakes were not working properly, has to keep full force on brake to keep at full stop. We called BMW service they said to just bring the car as they recently recalled my car for recall for this issue. We took the car to BMW service, after they checked my VIN # they said my car was actually not covered in that recall, even though it was the same problem. This incident could have been worst, someone could have been seriously injured or killed as a result to this sudden loss of brake assist. Called BMW, but they are not willing to do anything at this point until a official recall is posted for 2006 year X5 4.4 models. Now I have body damage and a $1,500 brake repair estimate I have to deal with. "not good BMW. Not good." Please consider this as a recall guys, every X5 4.4 owner should get this preventive maintenance, I see many other people complaining about the same issue.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 122013

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the contact applied the brakes but the vehicle failed to decelerate. The contact had to apply both feet to the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The test results showed a defective brake booster. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Jan 192013

X5

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X5. The contact stated that oil was leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis who informed the contact that the brake vacuum pump would need to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was informed that the VIN was not included in the manufacturer's recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 46,000.

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA