2008 BMW X5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW X5:

2008 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jan 282014

X5 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 bwi X5. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure was recurring. In addition, the contact stated that the when accelerating, the vehicle would resist and feel as if it was attempting to stall. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic diagnosed that the exhaust senor and fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer had not been made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 3/28/14 the consumer stated the first incident happened in August 2013, with no warning on the highway. It was determined the water pump failed. Updated 04/22/14

- Manassas, VA, USA

Oct 202013

X5 6-cyl

I was about less than 2 miles away from home and I was driving 35 mph. I heard a loud fan sound and in few sec I got a message in the display board saying engine over heating drive slowly. After few seconds another message showed in red that engine is over heated and the vehicle did not move even pressing the pedal hard. Then I stopped the vehicle by pulling it to the side and let the engine cool for 15 min. Then I drove back home. When I was 50 yards away from home I got those two messages back one after the other. But, I drove it slowly to the drive way my house. Then I called the BMW dealer, let the vehicled towed their and the dealer diagnosed it as vehicle water pump is gone bad and it caused the over heat of the engine. Becuse of this thermo stat is alos gone bad. There is some other part gone bad because of this but I did not remeber it. The dealer told me that it cost me 1700 to fix the issue. I checked on the internet and several tens of people had this issue and needs to be recalled by BMW.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Apr 282012

The contact owns a 2008 BMW X5. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, a loud fan noise emitted from the engine compartment. A warning light illuminated on the instrumental panel and stated that the vehicle was overheating. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where they were unable to diagnose a failure. The contact was advised to take the vehicle to an authorized dealer. The vehicle was then towed to an authorized dealer where it was awaiting a diagnosis.the VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 52,000.

- Miami , FL, USA

Apr 202012

I was driving under heavy rain on April 20, 2012 in houston, tx. I first saw engine overheating warning sign on the dash and then misty smoke came out under the hood. I had to get off the highway and drove to a nearby repair shop. It was determined that the failure was due to a faulty water pump. I had a friend who has a 2008 BMW X5 and recently had the same issue. We believe that recall #11V521000 that concerns only 2010-2011 BMW X5 needs to be expanded to X5S of earlier years. Thank you for your consideration.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 062012

X5 6-cyl

I was left stranded on the 695 baltimore beltway after my vehicle displayed an over-heating signal in my dash. A few seconds later, the engine shut down and a red "engine overheated" signal appeared on my dash and I was only able to drive less than 5 miles an hour to move to safety (in the midst of many cars flying by me doing well over 65 mph). Very scary situation. The other scary situation is that I am 3,000 miles out of warranty for this issue and I feel that because my vehicle is not the only reported incident of this type, BMW should repair the problem at no cost to me. A part such as this should not fail at 53000 miles.

- Lutherville, MD, USA