3.5

2010 BMW X5 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 BMW X5:

2010 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jan 092013

X5 6-cyl Diesel

Ignition failed to restart engine due to battery drain. In one instance, battery discharged despite car having been driven for >1hr and then stopped for less than 15 minutes before failure to restart. Two other occasions were failure to start on the morning after vehicle last driven. Average outside air temps 5-30 degrees F. vehicle had less than 25K miles at first occurrence and less than 34K at two most recent occurrences. Battery this new should not have issues holding a charge. Suspect diesel fuel filter heater failure to shut off, resulting in battery drain (see NHTSA campaign number: 13V339000). 3 occurrences to date, all were during cold temperatures when ffh would have been activated. Jan 2013, January 3, 2014 and February 17, 2014. Additional electrical system failures noted as a result of battery drain issues include multiple warning indicators (passenger airbag, diesel exhaust fluid indicator warning, brake pad warning, among others).

- Larchmont, NY, USA

Oct 022013

X5 6-cyl Diesel

I was told by BMW that it was the egr high pressure heater leaking, wherein the leak causes diesel exhaust fumes to enter the cabin while driving without warning. I observed this mostly as I pull back from my garage, when idling and randomly as I drive. I've noticed a strong noxious smell in the cabin, which gave me nausea and headache. I remedied it by venting the cabin then recirculating the air. It happens constantly except when I circulate the air in the cabin regardless of when I'm in the road or parked in front of my garage. (I figured this prevents the fumes from the hood entering the cabin).I am finally having it repaired for $800 maybe more as I will find out tomorrow the final cost. I've read in the forums that this is not uncommon even below 15K mileage X5S which is virtually new and has occurred in different vehicle mileages. This is potentially dangerous and a health hazard to drivers and infants. BMW should be shouldering this unacceptable hardware failure!

- Denton, TX, USA

Jan 232014

X5 6-cyl Diesel

Exhaust is entering the cabin through the venting filling the car with harmful gases. I brought it to the dealer and they diagnosed it as a egr cooler/valve issue. There is currently an "open campaign" for the erg bracket to be replaced by BMW but no safety recalls on the egr cooler or valve. I am concerned about the safety of this issue since the leak starts off slow and undetectable at first then grows to be a serious burn in your eyes and nose. This could be especially harmful to families with young children.

- New York, NY, USA

Feb 102010

X5

My brand new 2010 BMW X5 35D has stalled multiple times, in major intersections completely out of the blue. The vehicle flashes "engine malfunction" and "reduced power." There is no way to cure this issue, and it only self-corrects after a matter of many minutes. When throttle is applied, during such an incident, the vehicle bucks wildly, between stalling and starting. There are many other BMW X5 owners having this issue. No fault codes are registering on the computer and the vehicle self-corrects after starting and stopping the engine multiple times via the push-bottom stop button. Once this took 3-hours to rectify, while I was stuck on the side of a busy highway. This has also happened at times in which I'm making left-hand turns in busy intersections, narrowly avoiding a high-speed impact. My vehicle has only 4,000 miles on it. My dealer has been unreceptive to the issue. I contacted BMW North America's customer service twice and they took a report but never contacted me back. I've left messages with the customer service department at BMW North America and still no resolve. This is a very dangerous situation. I have no idea as to when the vehicle will stall or malfunction. I feel I can handle an emergency, or at least lessen a potential impact in a worst case scenario, but I do not feel the same about my wife. The car looses all brake and steering pressure, and I feel very unsafe driving my family in this vehicle. Multiple other owners have sold their vehicles as a result, but those vehicles are going to end up in the hands of owners who will experience the same issues. It's only a matter of time before someone experiences this issue, in an intersection, and is killed by oncoming traffic. Please assist us in obtaining relief to this known issue. You can visit this forum, which is one of dozens, that complains about the issue in question. www.xoutpost.com/BMW-sav-forums/X5-E70-forum/68822-engine-warning-battery-failure-same-time.html.

- Oakland, CA, USA