2011 BMW X5 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 BMW X5:

2011 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Sep 292016

X5

The driver side door lock cannot be unlocked manually while driver is inside the parked car. This occurs frequently, but not 100% of the time. The BMW locks unlock manually by pulling on the door handle once and then pulling a second time to open the door. When this defect occurs, I cannot open the door. The only way to unlock is to use the power door lock switch. This is a safety concern because I cannot unlock and open the driver door if there is an electrical failure. The passenger side door had the same failure 18 months ago and I replaced the lock actuator personally. I did not log a complaint because I judged it as an exception case. However, two failures on two different lock actuators in the same car leads me to believe there is an intrinsic manufacturing defect.

- Kenmore, WA, USA

Nov 052014

X5 6-cyl

I was recently in an accident. I rear ended someone and the air bag did not deploy until after the accident occurred. I have chest and rib pain. Even deployed the air bag was not fully inflated.

- Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

Jan 092011

X5 8-cyl

Vehicle has "M sports" option, with wide tires and flared fender edges. Front tires kick up salt & other road debris onto the rear fender flares & rear doors damaging body paint. Front fender skirts would prevent damage. BMW area rep. Refused to view damage. The company refuses to repair damage their defective product caused. The BMW dealer body shop quoted $4,500 to repair paint damage. Dealer agrees it is a BMW problem. BMW refuses pay for fender skirts they told me I should have. After months of discussion with their representative at BMW U.S. headquarters, BMW agreed in writing to pay me $500 to cover my insurance deductible and the approx. $176 to cover my cost for the fender skirts. I accepted that written offer even though I knew they owe more than that. Now they refuse to pay me anything claiming I must get the damage repaired before they pay. We never had any discussion or agreement like that.

- Woymissing, PA, USA