2013 BMW X5 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW X5:

2013 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jul 302014

Hello, my name is yong won kang. I am 77 years old man and more than 50 years driving experience. I bought BMW X5 October 2013 from tenafly BMW dealership. This car was my lifetime dreamed car. Like a BMW sales slogan żultimate driving machineż I would like to have an experience BMW car's joy of driving. But after few month later I was disappointed to have BMW X5. When I drive to accelerate push the gas car dose not respond as quickly as pushing gas. So I told the mechanic my problem they did software upgrade. After software upgrade car was good responding drive. But few weeks later back to old condition. These things four more times I did. Could you possibly help me out of these problems and my frustration" here are my problems: 1. sluggish and hesitating running when acceleration 2. between transmission and gasoline sensor problem"!(I think) 3. not smooth transition and feel heavy moving 4. this is not BMW X5 power running weak. 5. driving terribly heavily responding. 6. I was reclled for front airbag.

- Orangeburg, NY, USA

Oct 182012

X5 8-cyl

Vehicle developed significantly reduced fuel mileage after the first 500 miles. In town range dropped by 40% to 7.8 mpg over the same route, independent of gasoline source or grade. Exhaust gases are very hot and exhibit a pronounced sulfuric, gunpowder like smell. Electrical fans constantly on during city driving attempting to cool the engine. Excessive carbon build up on exhaust components. Engine exhibiting rich running condition. A persistent mechanical engine whine developed emanating from the oil pump, possibly the alternator area of the engine compartment, peaking at 1700-1900 RPM under load. At 1,200 miles, the 8 speed automatic transmission developed erratic shift behavior between 1st-3rd gears. At fairly constant speed, the transmission is shifting between 1st and second gear, alternating up shifting and downshifting without establishing proper gear. Coming to a stop, vehicle surges revolutions by up to 500 RPM on the 3-2 downshift and up to 800 RPM on the 2-1 downshift, causing a sudden and abrupt halt, engine braking effect. Behavior is most pronounced in standard D transmission mode, minimized in ds mode and completely absent in manual mode with automatic downshift. At 2,200 miles, gunpowder like exhaust gas smell more pronounced and evident while average fuel mileage dropped to 6.4 mpg over the same course. Transmission experienced two incidents of failing to up shift into second gear followed by a mechanical clunk and sharp jolt after finally getting in gear. Vehicle does not exhibit any stored or active fault codes within the on-board diagnostics.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA