2015 BMW X5 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 BMW X5:

2015 BMW X5 Owner Comments

Jun 032015

My husband was traveling on the highway at night. He stated that the car in from of his was stopped in the middle of the highway. He was unable to stop in time to avoid rear ending the other vehicle. We have a new BMW X5 SUV and he hit a Lexus SUV- both substantial vehicles. Both cars were not drivable following the accident. There is major front end damage- possible the car is totaled. I'm not sure yet. The air bags did not deploy. The impact fractured his sternum. He developed pneumonia 2 days later because of the pain in breathing- the accident was wed. Night but the fracture was not diagnosed. I took him back to the er fri afternoon, when the fracture and subsequent pneumonia was diagnosed. He was admitted to the hospital and is still there. The car was towed to the dealership. They want to take it apart to see what needs to be repaired or if it is totaled. I want to understand why the airbags did not deploy and am afraid if they start taking the car apart I will never know. I was told the NHTSA would help me with an investigation into this. Please help me and let me know what I should do next. Husband won't be released for several days possibly.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Mar 072015

X5 6-cyl

The rear passenger door latch failed while driving. The door would not latch whatsoever, and as such, would swing freely to full open. Closing the door would only bounce it off the car body and would not latch. I inspected the latch and found the door latch to be in exactly the same position as the other passenger doors and the door would not latch when closing from inside, outside or with doors locked or unlocked. The interior door handle had no resistance at all or any feeling of being connected to the door latch. The vehicle was towed the dealer and the latch replaced as well as a connection with the latch and the door lock and handle. I was told by BMW that the door latch was improperly installed at the factory.

- Reno, NV, USA

Dec 212014

X5 6-cyl

While driving with my wife and both kids back from brunch Sunday early afternoon - the left rear door opened on its own. It was fully closed previously and about a mile or two down the road it popped open and became ajar while driving at approximately 25 mph. The car indicated a door was open. I had personally closed the door and am sure that it wasn't open when I started driving, the car would have notified me anyway. I pulled over in a parking lot and took photos which I've sent to BMW. My daughter in the back seat was strapped into a car seat with 5-point harness and separate arm rests. She says she did not touch the door in any way to trigger the incident. The vehicle is a 2015 X5 35D that I have owned for about a week and a half.

- Mountain View, CA, USA