2005 BMW Z4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 BMW Z4:

2005 BMW Z4 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 7)

Apr 122011

Car's steering sticks on center position making normal steering corrections noticeably difficult. An extraordinary amount of force needs to be applied to the steering wheel in order to make the necessary steering correction which can cause an over-correction. Once off center, it is then difficult to return the wheel to the neutral position this can be very dangerous at highway speeds. This always happens in warmer weather or if the car has been outside in the sun for a couple of hours.

- Trenton, GA, USA

Oct 062013

Z4 6-cyl

Car is very dangerous to drive when car is warm and driven at highway speed. The car acts as if the steering is sticking or locking up> you have to pull on the steering wheel hard to left or right to get the wheels to turn. You must be very care and keep your mind on what you are doing at all times or you could be in crash.

- Anderson, AL, USA

Jul 012013

Z4 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 BMW Z4. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering failed and the steering wheel tightened. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000. Updated 10/31/13 the consumer stated the steering wheel was sticky and it extreme effort to drive the vehicle. The dealer informed him, the entire steering component needed to be replaced. The consumer stated the steering incident happened after the vehicle was parked for 4 hours in 85 degree weather. Updated 11/12/13

- Bedford, NH, USA

Jan 022007

Z4 6-cyl

Car's steering stick on center position making normal steering corrections noticeably difficult. An extraordinary amount of force needs to be applied to the steering wheel in order to make the necessary steering correction which can cause an over-correction. Once off center, it is then difficult to return the wheel to the neutral position. This has happened repetitively, most often in hot weather. Dealer where we bought the car and who does regular maintenance has been unable to replicate the problem, or so they say. BMW usa has been contacted about the problem; and, their response was "take it to the dealer." By what I have read on the internet, I am not the only one experiencing this problem. I am ready to seek advice from my attorney.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 032012

Z4 6-cyl

Driving my 2005 BMW Z4 has become a non option when the ambient temperature exceeds 85. the steering wheel becomes resistant to turning left, or right from center. And then you have to fight it back to center as it will stay in the turned position. This is a real shame, I don't know if their engineers realize this, but convertibles are for warm weather. I would expect this from a GM or Ford product, but not from BMW who touts as being "the ultimate driving machine". this is a very common problem and can not believe it hasn't been issued a recall.

- York, SC, USA

Aug 012013

Driving straight at 55 mph and could not turn steering wheel left or right without a great deal of effort. Very dangerous. Same concerns as others with this model. Will not let my wife drive. Something needs to be done as these cars will crash and hurt someone. Please E-mail with some sort of a plan in place please.

- Weeki Wachee, FL, USA

Jul 252013

Z4 6-cyl

First a description of the problem: My steering column turns similar to the fan control switch on the Z4 ? from detent to detent and not smoothly like a volume control on a radio. If you reach forward to the fan control console and turn it you will note that it does not turn smoothly it goes from stop to stop to stop about every 5 degrees. Each stop is called a detent. So as you turn the knob it starts in a detent then as you turn it clicks into the next detent and stops then you have to twist a bit harder till it clicks into the next detent. That is how my steering column acts when it is hot outside. It clicks into one detent and that position may not keep you driving straight down the road. You try to correct it and it will not turn unless you push extra hard then it goes past the point that would keep you going straight down the road into the next detent and you are progressively headed off the other side of the road. As you try to correct it by turning back, it will not smoothly turn back, it resists till you push extra hard then it goes past the point that would keep you going straight and stops in the next detent and now you are headed off the road in the other direction.

- Wildomar, CA, USA

Jul 132013

Z4 6-cyl

After the car runs for a little, the steering gets very sticky. It's very challenging to steer properly and when trying to negotiate turns, I must jolt the wheel to move passed the stickiness, resulting in an over correction. There is no way to safely drive, maneuver or control the steering. Very dangerous.

- Coatesville , PA, USA

Mar 022013

Z4 6-cyl

Steering became sticky when trying to do minor corrections. It is very difficult to keep car straight without exerting considerable force in both left and right directions. Problem is worse when outside temperature is above 80F and steering is "normal "when car is cold. Subsequently, steering wheel does not easily return to center, occasionally car will pull in either direction, not sure when it will go left and when right. Dealer wants to replace steering column for $3500. Replacement is oem part so no dealer guarantee that replacement will not perform the same way.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Jul 012013

Z4 6-cyl

The steering gets very sticky on warm days, above 75 degrees Fahrenheit. It restricts the steering to the point that it is hard to turn the wheel. This problem is definitively a safety issue.

- Somerset, WI, USA

Oct 162010

Z4 6-cyl

The steering sticks in place and you need to jerk the steering wheel to get the car to slightly turn. After jerking the steering wheel, you have now over corrected and must jerk it the opposite direction. The problem is worse when the temperature is higher. In tight confinements or traffic, there is many times not adequate room for the vehicle to dart in various directions because of the sticking steering.

- Utica, NY, USA

Aug 012012

Steering wheel sticks, mostly when making left turns. BMW is aware of the issue with these vehicles but states "not a safety issue, simply a nuisance" this is not true. When turning to the left, the wheel sticks causing driver to exert more pressure, when the wheel frees, the vehicle veers to the left, occasionally causing the vehicle to cross the center line into oncoming traffic. This is a significant safety issue and ongoing!!

- Northwood, NH, USA

May 012012

Z4 6-cyl

Bought the 2005 Z-4 BMW used from a dealer in high point nc. Drove it and enjoy driving until the warm weather. The steering sticks to a point of being dangerous. To compensate, I steer to the left and car pulls to the left then I bring the steering back towards the center and feel it sticking so I compensate by steering to the right. The whole time down the highway I fear for my life driving this car. I really had to concentrate to keep the car from steering off the road and I'm sure it appears I'm driving erratically to others on the road. The warm weather will soon be here in North Carolina and I'm just scared to drive it. The car otherwise is beautiful. But if I'm going to be a repeat customer to the BMW line I need to get this fixed or they should recall it and I don't feel that I should have to pay for this problem and sounds like many many others have had the exact same problem from what my research shows me. Please help before someone is killed. Seriously I'm scared ! I contacted BMW in Ohio and they need me to validate the problem through a dealer which I will do but I have to wait til the weather is warm again. Luckily I am employed and will be able to pay the $125 diagnostic fee. The consumer also stated every time she rode over a bump in the road, the radio would shut off and then come back on at random times. The dealer was unable to find any loose wires. Also, the oil filter housing was leaking and an oil leak separator was sauing air to dispel into the engine. Updated IVOQ 04/16/13

- High Point, NC, USA

Dec 142012

Z4 6-cyl

Steering jerks to the point of being unsafe. At highway speeds the car will drift. When you correct, it jerks either right or left. A few times almost veering into the next lane of traffic. Brought into BMW of ft. Myers. They said I needed a new steering column. $3,487.60 plus $153.44 to calibrate, plus tax. Very, very disapointed in BMW not having a recall on this. It is a serious safety issue aside from speding a lot of money to purchase a "quality"??"" car.

- Hibbing, MN, USA

Jul 252012

Z4 6-cyl

Vehicle would run fine in the morning before the day heated up. At noon, the steering wheel would stick and more force than usual had to be applied with both hands to operate the steering wheel. Also, there are times the car will jerk left or right upon breaking. If the road is slightly uneven, you have to be prepared in case the car jerks in any direction. I have tried upgrading the vehicles suspension system to no avail. Makes the car feel unsafe to drive. I love the car, but I would like these issues to be addressed before somebody gets seriously injured or even killed if it hasn't happened already.

- Roswell, GA, USA

Nov 042012

Z4 6-cyl

Original owner new 2005 Z4 BMW 18475 miles steering sticks while driving feels like it may not come back when you turn wheel kind of like flat spot on column hard to explain.

- Vero Beach , FL, USA

Sep 042012

Z4 6-cyl

While driving, car tends to "dart" back and forth. This issue tends to become more noticable as the day gets warmer. I have read about this same issue and would like to know if there is a recall on this issue.

- Loudon, TN, USA

Mar 142012

Z4 6-cyl

My 2005 Z4 3.0I has an intermittent steering problem. I never know when it will malfunction or when it will correct itself. It doesn`T seem to be effected by temperature or humidity. Road surface or any certain speed, when it binds up it requires both hands on the steering wheel to keep the car under control. It is impossible to drive straight down a freeway, when it wanders to the left I must use excessive effort to turn to the right and it oversteers and I have to bring it back to the left so I just wiggle my way down the road. On a three hour trip, both on freeway and two lane roads, my shoulders and hands were so tired I had to pull off the road and rest and I was only twenty five miles from returning home. Sometimes the problem doesn`T occur but I always must be vigilant because when it happens I had better be prepared, it could be so easy to lose control of this car. It is a really nice car if not for this problem. My wish is for BMW to remedy this situation voluntarily or have a NHTSA recall on all (and there are a lot of Z4`S with this condition), these cars because this is a glaring safety issue, besides being a real pain to drive. I have tried everything I can think of, like pulling off the road and shutting off the ignition and restarting besides three inspections at a BMW dealership, two of which I paid the going service rate. Also a four wheel alignment which didn't help at all. Z4 owners need some help from somewhere!

- Crescent City, CA, USA

Jul 012012

The contact owns a 2005 BMW Z4. The contact was driving 35 mph when the steering tightened and seized, causing the contact difficulty in controlling the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 18,500.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Jul 302012

Z4 6-cyl

Steering very hard to control and stcks to one side or other. Problem occurs after car has been sitting in sun for several hours and 95+ degree heat. I just bought this car in June 2012. Steering has a notched feel and will not center. Pulls to one side and requires significant pressure to turn, but over corrects and pulls to other side. Very dangerous. Will not let any of the women in my household drive it because it is so hard to turn in that condition. This is very dangerous! steering returns to normal after a night in my garage, but returns to dangerous condition for drive home after sitting in the sun all day.

- Brandon, MS, USA