2005 BMW Z4 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 BMW Z4:

2005 BMW Z4 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Apr 092009

At highway speeds, my 2005 BMW exhibits stiff and erratic steering as follows: Steering wheel is very tight, and does not turn unless inordinate pressure is applied. This makes steering very strange and quick movement is difficult to enact. A recent occurrence was July 24, 2011 on highway 101 in central California. A car pulled out in front of me unexpectedly, and at first the steering would not turn. This delayed my action to steer and forced a more violent movement from me. This then caused my passenger to shift suddenly in her seating, and cut her leg on the dashboard cup holder which had been extended. The malfunction appeared soon after I purchased vehicle. However it is only present at over 40 mph, and is pronounced during hot weather. Most of my use for this vehicle has been for short local trips (only 1800 miles on odometer currently). I now recognize how severe this steering malfunction is, as I have been using the vehicle on the highway more often.

- Los Gatos, CA, USA

Jul 182011

Z4 6-cyl

Steering "stickiness". steering intermittently becomes harder, then "releases". it feels like the power steering fails temporarily, causing the driver to apply more force to the turn. Then without warning, the power steering re-engages, and the car will turn more rapidly.

- Highland, MD, USA

Jul 012010

Z4 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 BMW Z4. The contact stated that the steering wheel became unresponsive while driving. The contact mentioned that he had to use extra force in order for the vehicle to respond. The vehicle was not taken to dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 8,000 and current mileage was 10,500. Steering wheel is sticky when turning trying to make mirror corrections to steer. This sometimes leads to slight over correction to steering direction. Updated 09/14/2011 updated 12/05/11

- Rockledge, FL, USA

Jul 092011

Z4 6-cyl

Steering malfunctions when vehicle is hot (ambient temp 80-90 degrees). The steering wheel force required to turn increases dramatically. Also steering wheel will not default to center when turned (even in a curve). When wheel is turned only way to have it return to 0 is to turn it back the other way. Car does not track straight and controlling at highway speeds is nearly impossible. In cool temps there is no problem as steering functions normally. Loss of control seems quite likely at high speeds.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 272011

The steering appears to stick when temps reach 70 & above and is most noticeable when driving at 60+ speeds. The steering wants to lock up (stick or catch)and become jerky when driving and is difficult to maneuver slight turns to keep vehicle in a straight line.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Jul 062011

2005 BMW E85 with only 9,000 miles. Driving in straight line, steering wheel has unusual amount of 'play' where no wheel direction change will occur. When exceeding the 'play' an amount of resistance is encountered followed by an abrupt wheel direction change. At 40 mph car will suddenly move 1-2 feet in lane. Vehicle requires constant, jerking correction. This condition has existed since purchase of the vehicle 2 months ago but is much worse on hot days such as the current 85 degree weather. In a close clearance situations at higher speeds or very hot days, this could become very dangerous regardless of driver experience or diligence. Given the large number of complaints, I wonder if it will require serious injury or death to address this issue.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jun 212011

The steering seems to "stick" and release suddenly when turning the steering wheel. This has been occurring for a while. There has not been a complete loss of steering to date but the issue does seem worse on some days.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jun 182011

I have a 2005 BMW Z4 3.0I with electric power steering. The steering sticks when I drive it. I have read that this issue has turned into major problems with other owners. I just want to say that I have the initial steering issue too.

- Crossett, AR, USA

Jun 012009

The contact owns a 2005 BMW Z4. The contact stated that in warmer temperatures, the steering wheel would lock abnormally, then release, followed by a jerking of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the electronic steering column was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact stated that the vehicle was no longer under warranty and was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 66,000.

- Winstom Salem , NC, USA

May 132011

Steering sticks at moderate to high outdoor temperature. Requires excessive pressure to turn off center and also then back to center. Feels as if it turns in notches instead of smoothly. This causes the steering to jerk from one side to the other as you are simply making small steering corrections. This creates a dangerous driving condition.

- Midlothian, TX, USA

May 182011

Steering on my 05 BMW Z4 sticks and jerks and causes me to run off the road. Dealer says nothing wrong despite all these complaints im finding online. Too scared to drive car.

- Florence, SC, USA

May 222010

Z4 6-cyl

I purchased my 2005 BMW Z4 3.0I last year in the middle of winter. Interesting time to sell a car with a major steering defect that is temperature dependent. As the ambient temperature increases the ability to steer and control my 2005 BMW Z4 becomes more dangerous. At highway speeds on a day above 75 degrees the wheel appears to be stuck. When it finally does move the result is rapid lane shifting, not safe to drive while doing this. In fact I am uncomfortable driving the vehicle on hot days and leave it home, the steering is not predictable. Spoke with my BMW dealer who states they have not heard of this problem. This seems unusual given the number of complaints I can find on line. This event occurs each and every day where the ambient temperature gets above 75 and will not correct itself until the car cools down. Clearly a temperature related issue.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Mar 152011

Z4 6-cyl

My 2005 BMW Z4 have steering wheels issues. Gps navigation system don't work.

- San Jose , CA, USA

Mar 252011

Z4 6-cyl

Steering on my 05 BMW Z4 gets erratic or sticks is hard to steer when running at highway speeds. Trying to make a small correction results in the steering wheel jerking then more force is required to overcome this problem. This results in over correction which makes the car jerk from side to side.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Feb 252011

Z4 6-cyl

2005 BMW Z4. After driving the vehicle for around 300+ miles the steering start to stick, making holding the car in your lane very difficult. We purchased the vehicle in Oct. Or Nov. Of 2010 and it had approx. 56000 miles on the odometer. I first noticed the problem in Dec. When we went to fla. And last week when we traveled to S.C.

- Bristol, TN, USA

Oct 182010

Z4 6-cyl

Intermittent failure of power steering at high speeds (above 75 deg F). Steering becomes sluggish and loss of control of vehicle may occur. Severe over/under steer of vehicle under these conditions have occurred on separate occasions.

- Cary, NC, USA

Aug 012008

Z4 6-cyl

I have major problems with the steering wheel of my 2005 BMW Z4 3I, purchased as a certified pre-owned car from a BMW dealer. It had about 11K miles on it. Since then I have been experiencing this problem described below. I have not had any accident with it, but this is a complaint that there may me a safety issue with the steering wheel of the car. 1)it keeps pulling to the left, or to the right especially at lowers speeds say below 60 mi/hr. It requires constant adjustments so that I could keep the car aligned, or centered while driving. 2) the car pulls me to the left, or to the right suddenly when the road surface is slightingly uneven, especially in lower speeds. I can never predict which way the car pulls me. It can be very struggling to keep the steering under control when stopping at any red lights because of these sudden jerks in the steering, or pulls in the steering wheel. 3) sometimes, the steering feels like it is stuck, or locked in a way that I feel like I could not control it. This usually happens when the weather is hot, or at higher humidity. 4) I took the car to the dealer two years ago when I still had the warranty, and then they replaced the steering column and alignment was made after the replacement. However, the symptoms did not go away at all. I took the car to another dealer; I was told that it just required an alignment which was already done after the replacement of the steering column. So, there should not be an alignment relate problem. If the only problem was the alignment problem, the car should have pulled either to the left, or to the right, not to the both directions. 5) I believe if any elderly person, or someone with slower reflex, tries to drive this car with such problems may end up having a catastrophic crash. Mainly because, the driver must pay lots of attention to keep the car centered, or the steering under control. Otherwise, at any second you may find yourself somewhere off the road.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jul 102010

Z4 6-cyl

The steering on my 05 BMW Z4 gets choppy or sticks or very hard to steer when running at highway speeds and city speeds. This problem occurs every time I drive the car. This is a safety hazard. If steering locks bad news nothing has been done to correct the problem because of the cost the dealer wants to repair it. I don't drive the vehicle much because of fear of steering locking up and causing an accident, vehicle only has 25,833 miles on it.

- Graham, NC, USA

Sep 012010

2005 BMW Z4 steering sticks in hot weather. Very dangerous. Returned from summer trip and felt the problem repeatedly. Now afraid to drive the car in hot weather.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Sep 152010

I just bought a used 2005 BMW Z4. The vehicle seemed to "pull" to one side before I bought it so I had the dealer do an alignment as a condition of sale. The car drove fine the first couple of times I drove it, but now off and on it sticks either pulling to the left or to the right. In other words, the wheel won't return to center.

- Salem, OR, USA